Playoffs: Suns @ Clippers Thursday game thread 4-20-2023 - Game 3

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to get a $20 credit on my bill. According to the rep, the NBATV broadcast wasn’t supposed to be blacked out in my area. He says the national networks get precedent in the playoffs.
See, that's what I thought. It's become the new normal in season but it's never happened to me like this in the postseason. But the NBA and their broadcast partners are such greedy little whatevers that a change like this wouldn't have shocked me.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to get a $20 credit on my bill. According to the rep, the NBATV broadcast wasn’t supposed to be blacked out in my area. He says the national networks get precedent in the playoffs.

Good on you for calling because it's the same with virtually every cable/satellite provider as far as complaints will get credits. I worked for Comcast very briefly and literally all the training we got was how to look up accounts and apply a credit up to $25. Nothing else was taught, it was a joke. Since then I've learned that virtually every reo you talk to will credit you so long as you aren't a total jerk to them directly.

For those unaware, you can get a 7 day free trial of Bally Sports through their app. So if you're in the Phoenix Metro area, or an area where Bally Sports Arizona is available, take advantage of that and watch the games for free. Cancel before the 7 days is up and use a new email to repeat. Bally's doesn't pay the sports teams they broadcast so why should anyone pay them.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Fair enough but that's how that's always presented. And besides the obvious, I think having a player that can draw referee attention to that degree helps every other player on the team. I mean, we went to the line 37 times in that second half, before KD we've had plenty of back to back games where we didn't total 37 free throws.
I don’t disagree.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Serious question: Is this the KD you expected? Did you expect that with KD, the Suns would struggle to the end to beat a team of Westbrook and a bunch of back-ups (Zubac played just 22 mins last night)?
KD had 28 against that line-up, 11 of which came from FT’s.
I dunno… is it “good!” Yea… it is. But is it KD good? I don’t see it.
It’s not KD good. No one is saying that. But you’re calling him things like “sidekick” when he’s putting up 27/7/7 and the suns are 10-1 with him playing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They’re 2 & 1 in games that matter with KD…
Book is averaging 44 mins and 36 pts per game in those 3 games.
Is it right to expect that level of play the rest of the post season from Book? Don’t think so.
Is it right to expect that KD will need to become our #1 at some point? I think so…. I hope he still has it in him to do it.
The dude was a legit MVP candidate to begin the season. He’s played a whopping 11 games since back from an injury and thrust into a physical playoff playing 40+ minutes/night. Might want to give him a little time before he’s playing above all star level to MVP level.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To answer your question, what concerns me most about Durant, this could only be my perception, but he looks thinner than I have ever seen him.

He has all the skills as anticipated, but I didn't expect him to be as lean as what he seems. I worry whether he can take the continued pounding and minutes without help. Ayton is not carrying his fair share of the load.

I think both Booker and Durant are number ones. Devin doesn't take a backseat to anyone.
He’s always been thin. There’s a reason they call him the slim reaper. You’re just not used to watching as much of him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
45/6/3 > 27/7/7 right? KD was brought in to be the man and he has been secondary to Booker. I seem to recall talk of how Booker won't need to go hero mode to carry us to wins in the postseason because KD is a legit superstar who will take over. Has that happened yet?
I mean I guess Kobe was just a sidekick to shaq. And Wade a sidekick to Lebron. And Davis a sidekick to Lebron.

Being 1b to a dude playing 1A+ level basketball doesn’t really fit the traditional derogatory definition of “sidekick.”

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean I guess Kobe was just a sidekick to shaq. And Wade a sidekick to Lebron. And Davis a sidekick to Lebron.

Being 1b to a dude playing 1A+ level basketball doesn’t really fit the traditional derogatory definition of “sidekick.”

Who says being a sidekick is derogatory or that's the traditional usage? Calling Pippen Michael Jordan's sidekick isn't derogatory, neither is saying Wade was Lebron's sidekick. You're choosing to view it that way but I didn't mean it as a slight so much as a genuine question as to what's the deal, KD was supposed to be The Man here but instead he seems to be Booker's sidekick, which doesn't alleviate concerns some of us had over the price the Suns paid to bring him. When you pay for Batman to make an appearance, you expect Batman not Robin wearing the Bat-Suit. If this is who he is, then I hope James Jones has a lot of tricks up his sleeves because they need more than what they have to be a true contenders.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Who says being a sidekick is derogatory or that's the traditional usage? Calling Pippen Michael Jordan's sidekick isn't derogatory, neither is saying Wade was Lebron's sidekick. You're choosing to view it that way but I didn't mean it as a slight so much as a genuine question as to what's the deal, KD was supposed to be The Man here but instead he seems to be Booker's sidekick, which doesn't alleviate concerns some of us had over the price the Suns paid to bring him. When you pay for Batman to make an appearance, you expect Batman not Robin wearing the Bat-Suit. If this is who he is, then I hope James Jones has a lot of tricks up his sleeves because they need more than what they have to be a true contenders.
I guess we will see what happens when a team decides to focus on taking Booker out of the game. That would likely open Durant up to go off. He has no reason to force anything right now because he has Booker next to him and he is going off.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Good on you for calling because it's the same with virtually every cable/satellite provider as far as complaints will get credits. I worked for Comcast very briefly and literally all the training we got was how to look up accounts and apply a credit up to $25. Nothing else was taught, it was a joke. Since then I've learned that virtually every reo you talk to will credit you so long as you aren't a total jerk to them directly.

For those unaware, you can get a 7 day free trial of Bally Sports through their app. So if you're in the Phoenix Metro area, or an area where Bally Sports Arizona is available, take advantage of that and watch the games for free. Cancel before the 7 days is up and use a new email to repeat. Bally's doesn't pay the sports teams they broadcast so why should anyone pay them.
Yeah, I was livid. I haven't missed a game in forever and I always let it start recording so I can skip commercials while watching. Good thing I checked early. Then I find out DTV no longer has 24 hour customer service. I was able to scramble and finally get it playing on my computer using the Bally app when using DTV as my provider.

I was ready to leave DTV over this. It's literally the only reason why I still use them so I can get every Suns game from out of market here in the San Diego area. I just have to watch Lakers and Clippers local broadcasts when we play them. Good to know about not being a jerk because believe me, it was hard to hold back. Especially with the first rep I talked to because it made no sense to me when she said it was totally out of their control. Glad I got her to transfer me to a retention guy who agreed that it should have been available either nationally or locally and he said the playoffs should be available on the national broadcast which was NBATV in this case.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was livid. I haven't missed a game in forever and I always let it start recording so I can skip commercials while watching. Good thing I checked early. Then I find out DTV no longer has 24 hour customer service. I was able to scramble and finally get it playing on my computer using the Bally app when using DTV as my provider.

I was ready to leave DTV over this. It's literally the only reason why I still use them so I can get every Suns game from out of market here in the San Diego area. I just have to watch Lakers and Clippers local broadcasts when we play them. Good to know about not being a jerk because believe me, it was hard to hold back. Especially with the first rep I talked to because it made no sense to me when she said it was totally out of their control. Glad I got her to transfer me to a retention guy who agreed that it should have been available either nationally or locally and he said the playoffs should be available on the national broadcast which was NBATV in this case.

I'm ready to change television services or drastically reduce programming. I've had DirecTV for over 20 years. The only thing that keeps me from doing it is the Suns coverage on Bally Sports Arizona.

Also, it's usually a long-drawn-out process in regard to making changes (getting a price reduction) that only begins with the first representative. It's become too expensive for me since we only watch a handful of channels.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cancelled cable this year, cancelling Bally's after this series

I haven't seen the future schedule, but Bally Sports Arizona may only cover the first round.

You might be able to get the next series on one of the national networks if the Suns advance.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe that's a personal view because when I here sidekick it invokes guy that hangs around and might have some value. I don't think most people view sidekick as an endearing term.

Bottom line is this staring lineup is better built to win a title than what we had. Durant, regardless if you think he is paying up to potential has some of the best numbers in the playoffs so far. The questions are around do they have enough of the supporting pieces beyond that to get it done.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe that's a personal view because when I here sidekick it invokes guy that hangs around and might have some value. I don't think most people view sidekick as an endearing term.

Well, there is Batman and Robin.

It's funny about the things we discuss. Actually I view a sidekick as an endearing term but not necessarily as an equal.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's funny about the things we discuss. Actually I view a sidekick as an endearing term but not necessarily as an equal.
Even in superhero movies when someone invokes sidekick you get a response like "I am no sidekick".

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I'm ready to change television services or drastically reduce programming. I've had DirecTV for over 20 years. The only thing that keeps me from doing it is the Suns coverage on Bally Sports Arizona.

Also, it's usually a long-drawn-out process in regard to making changes (getting a price reduction) that only begins with the first representative. It's become too expensive for me since we only watch a handful of channels.
Sounds like we've had a similar path with DTV.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Correct. You’re not relying on robin they way you do Batman.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose