Playoffs: Suns @ Clippers Thursday game thread 4-20-2023 - Game 3

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the call, not that I necessarily agree with it, was that Westbrook lost control of the ball before Booker fouled him. It's close.

Yeah I guess it's closer than the initial look but that's what makes it weird IMO. He's literally trying to foul Westbrook and Westbrook still throws the ball away instead of gathering and trying to get an and 1.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yeah I guess it's closer than the initial look but that's what makes it weird IMO. He's literally trying to foul Westbrook and Westbrook still throws the ball away instead of gathering and trying to get an and 1.

Right, I think Westbrook saw the foul coming and got ahead of himself in trying to exaggerate it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say a playoff win is a playoff win don't complain it wasn't good enough. NBA players are all good. Yes you don't expect Powell to go for 42 but he's been good for years. Booker is just on another level and from what I gather the game was close to double digits most of the 2nd half.

I missed most of your game watching the Warriors game man tons of FT's in this game. The weird play of the game is with the Suns up 7 in transition, Booker literally intentionally fouls Westbrook to stop the break, they don't call the foul, the ball goes out of bounds turnover Suns ball.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Maybe and Booker got away with a clear pushoff on Westbrook on another play too. But I could rattle off dozens of blown calls that went the wrong way too.

The Clippers played very physically all game and had a free throw advantage throughout the first half. Booker got hot and we gave them a lot of trouble in the 3rd quarter so Lue had them start playing a lot scrappier, slapping at arms regularly hoping the refs would let most of them go. It backfired and we went to the line 21 times that quarter. They backed off of that kind of play in the 4th except when they were gambling to slow the game down late which is why we shot 16 more in the final quarter.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe and Booker got away with a clear pushoff on Westbrook on another play too. But I could rattle off dozens of blown calls that went the wrong way too.

The Clippers played very physically all game and had a free throw advantage throughout the first half. Booker got hot and we gave them a lot of trouble in the 3rd quarter so Lue had them start playing a lot scrappier, slapping at arms regularly hoping the refs would let most of them go. It backfired and we went to the line 21 times that quarter. They backed off of that kind of play in the 4th except when they were gambling to slow the game down late which is why we shot 16 more in the final quarter.

Yeah I'm mainly saying it's a weird play by Westbrook. they were going to foul him he should have gathered to shoot

I'm still jetlagged so after the Warriors game ended I basically went to sleep but I saw that clip and thought what a weird play.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm mainly saying it's a weird play by Westbrook. they were going to foul him he should have gathered to shoot
Yeah at the time I thought he panicked but I haven't rewatched it so I'm not sure. But the one I mentioned was a big surprise to me. Booker, like every good scorer, gains an advantage often with a small pushoff, but he rarely gets away with the hard pushoff on a drive to the basket. He got one last night with the ref in full view of the play.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serious question: Is this the KD you expected? Did you expect that with KD, the Suns would struggle to the end to beat a team of Westbrook and a bunch of back-ups (Zubac played just 22 mins last night)?
KD had 28 against that line-up, 11 of which came from FT’s.
I dunno… is it “good!” Yea… it is. But is it KD good? I don’t see it.

To answer your question, what concerns me most about Durant, this could only be my perception, but he looks thinner than I have ever seen him.

He has all the skills as anticipated, but I didn't expect him to be as lean as what he seems. I worry whether he can take the continued pounding and minutes without help. Ayton is not carrying his fair share of the load.

I think both Booker and Durant are number ones. Devin doesn't take a backseat to anyone.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
He still dropped 28 points on 15 shots last night. We are talking about KD having a "bad" game and he dropped 28 points on 15 shots while not allowing the opponent to double Booker. Stop and think about that for a moment. KD is not even remotely the problem here.
Well… it was really 17 points on those 15 shots. 11 of his 28 came from the free throw line.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Which tools? He’s scoring, rebounding, assisting, shooting a higher percentage and defending at a high level. Just not scoring at an expected KD clip (which is an extraordinarily ridiculously high bar for any other player).
100%
They seem to be doubling KD more than Book, if Booker keeps making them pay KDs numbers will go up.
Pick your poison.
KD is fine, we are winning and learning each others games on the fly.
I honestly don't think we have what it takes to beat the Celtics or a healthy Bucks this year, but who knows maybe we figure it out.
I'm still standing here yelling "Suns in four!" to start every series.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only on ASFN is 27/7/7 considered a “sidekick.”

45/6/3 > 27/7/7 right? KD was brought in to be the man and he has been secondary to Booker. I seem to recall talk of how Booker won't need to go hero mode to carry us to wins in the postseason because KD is a legit superstar who will take over. Has that happened yet?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
45/6/3 > 27/7/7 right? KD was brought in to be the man and he has been secondary to Booker. I seem to recall talk of how Booker won't need to go hero mode to carry us to wins in the postseason because KD is a legit superstar who will take over. Has that happened yet?
Are you punking us with this post? Passive aggression is off the charts here, with a little bit of "told you so" thrown in for good measure.

Can someone please explain why the sky is falling for half the board? KD isn't good enough, we need Saban Lee, Booker is too tired from too many minutes, our bench is going to lose us this series, etc.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I hope and believe CP3 and Ayton (and the whole team really) will play into form. All that matters is we won the game today and got some more time together. What does not kill you only makes you stronger, or so they say.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Are you punking us with this post? Passive aggression is off the charts here, with a little bit of "told you so" thrown in for good measure.

Can someone please explain why the sky is falling for half the board? KD isn't good enough, we need Saban Lee, Booker is too tired from too many minutes, our bench is going to lose us this series, etc.
Were all just waiting for Cam Payne to come back and save the series.

We could be starching teams by 50 and someone would bitch about something.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I simply responded to a post which completely dismissed the idea KD has played a secondary role as some sort of joke or overreaction. Nowhere did I say "I told you so". Isn't it ok to feel a bit worried about what we've seen so far from this team? I guess not.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I simply responded to a post which completely dismissed the idea KD has played a secondary role as some sort of joke or overreaction. Nowhere did I say "I told you so". Isn't it ok to feel a bit worried about what we've seen so far from this team? I guess not.
Your sarcasm says otherwise. On the other had, you've got mad sarcasm game, I'll give you that.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yup, probably getting swept too.
Clippers are by far our hardest matchup in the west and likely our most physical, which may be why we look like college players out there so far.
I'm not worried about the Nuggets, Sac or GSW at all, Booker can stomp those teams w/o KD and they would have to hit 70% from 3 to keep up.

Bottom line is no one can guard Booker AND KD, you put your best defensive players on them and PRAY!
Sure our bench is SUS but to be fair when has Monte ever looked to the bench for anything other than resting a starter.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this play was called by the referees, but Booker is clearly fouled on this play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your sarcasm says otherwise. On the other had, you've got mad sarcasm game, I'll give you that.

I guess I picked up my sarcasm game having to help raise my almost no longer a teenage daughter, she'll be 20 this year. Wasn't my intent. Not looking for fight with anyone.

Genuinely interested in discussing how KD hasn't looked very KD-ish. Sure his statline was good but we're still seeing the same Suns from the last 2 post seasons and the bubble as far as this team will only go as far as Booker can carry them. Book seems to be raising his game every year to new levels but unfortunately it doesn't seem even anyone else can carry the load so he doesn't need to shoulder so much.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I guess I picked up my sarcasm game having to help raise my almost no longer a teenage daughter, she'll be 20 this year. Wasn't my intent. Not looking for fight with anyone.

Genuinely interested in discussing how KD hasn't looked very KD-ish. Sure his statline was good but we're still seeing the same Suns from the last 2 post seasons and the bubble as far as this team will only go as far as Booker can carry them. Book seems to be raising his game every year to new levels but unfortunately it doesn't seem even anyone else can carry the load so he doesn't need to shoulder so much.
I said it during the game threads -- Monty's gameplans appear unchanged since the trade. We're still running the same stuff as we did with Mikal (the double teams are what is freeing up Book to go nuts, not the play calling).

I just can't fathom why Monty didn't change up his gameplans to a) accommodate a top 10 all time player, and b) change up his gameplans simply because it's the playoffs. We're doing the same things we were doing in Game #5 in November.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said it during the game threads -- Monty's gameplans appear unchanged since the trade. We're still running the same stuff as we did with Mikal (the double teams are what is freeing up Book to go nuts, not the play calling).

I just can't fathom why Monty didn't change up his gameplans to a) accommodate a top 10 all time player, and b) change up his gameplans simply because it's the playoffs. We're doing the same things we were doing in Game #5 in November.
The weird thing is those first 3 games, KD was getting a lot more looks. That Dallas game both he and Booker...

eh... I have no idea what's going on here anymore.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty is trying very hard to improve the Suns 10-1 record with Kevin Durant.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose