Pistons

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Piston's box scores for the past couple games and noticed that Gordon and Villanueva, their two big free agent acquisitions this past offseason, aren't even starting anymore. Gordon is averaging just 14.9 points while Villanueva is averaging only 12.9 points and 5.2 rebounds.

Both players are signed through the 2013-14 season. Gordon is grossly overpaid with his contract starting at $10 million this year and topping out at $13.2 million for the final year which happens to be a player option. Villanueva's contract is a bit more manageable as it starts out at $6.5 million, but it climbs up to $8.5 million in it's final year, also a player option.

I think Dumars was trying to use the same blueprint that he used for the Pistons team that won the title earlier this decade. Gordon probably reminded him a lot of himself, and an eventual replacement for Hamilton. And when Villanueva is at his best (which is rare), his offensive game is reminiscent of Rasheed Wallace. The problem is that both players are terribly inconsistent with deeply flawed games.

The Pistons need an inside presence desperately, but they will only have a few million in cap space as well as the MLE to find such a big man. They'll also have a fairly high draft pick as well. I could see them as a strong player in a possible offseason sign and trade for Stoudemire if we fail to extend him.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew they would be terrible. Funny how the Bulls are slightly better with out replacing Gordon. The guy has never seen a shot he did not like.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Villanueva signing was a disaster. At least Gordon has some trade value with teams looking for explosive scoring. Villanueva probably couldn't even catch on for the minimum now if the Pistons were to waive him.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Pistons need an inside presence desperately, but they will only have a few million in cap space as well as the MLE to find such a big man. They'll also have a fairly high draft pick as well. I could see them as a strong player in a possible offseason sign and trade for Stoudemire if we fail to extend him.

Can't use cap and the MLE it's either one or the other. And why would Amare even consider Detroit? It looks like they'll be pretty bad for awhile with the contracts they have and lack of developing youth.

I still can't believe Dumars master plan was to not pay Billups and get '09 cap space just to over pay CV and Gordon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard