Best Big Threes in basketball right now

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just curious - where would you rate Donovan Mitchell vis a vis Murray? Or Anthony Edwards?
I think today both carry more value, but I also don’t think Denver would do the Mitchell deal straight up. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Murray’s value passes Mitchell’s. Ant is another thing entirely. I think he’s just cracking his potential and if he fully exercised it he’ll perennially be mentioned in the same breath with book and SGA as far as top SGs. So I think if you’re looking to win now you go with Murray, but if you look longterm you go ant.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious - where would you rate Donovan Mitchell vis a vis Murray? Or Anthony Edwards?
I think both of those guys would be considered a star in any big 3.

But Murray’s shown to be an absolute playoff killer, whereas Mitchell had some incredible bubble play but has been disappointing in the playoffs since then and Edwards was totally inconsistent in his first foray.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think today both carry more value, but I also don’t think Denver would do the Mitchell deal straight up. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Murray’s value passes Mitchell’s. Ant is another thing entirely. I think he’s just cracking his potential and if he fully exercised it he’ll perennially be mentioned in the same breath with book and SGA as far as top SGs. So I think if you’re looking to win now you go with Murray, but if you look longterm you go ant.
True, SGA is another guy who has entered that conversation of "superstar" guards. I am just trying to determine rhetorically who gets placed in that very, very upper tier. If too many guys get rated as "Big 3 worthy," the categorization becomes kind of meaningless.

How about Trae Young, DeAaron Fox, Jalen Brunson, CJ McCollum, Ty Maxey, Ty Halliburton? Obviously, Curry is still in that category, but is Klay? Any wavering on Kyrie, Morant, or Harden due to age or their various off court issues?

And of course that's not even addressing the status of frontcourt players.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, SGA is another guy who has entered that conversation of "superstar" guards. I am just trying to determine rhetorically who gets placed in that very, very upper tier. If too many guys get rated as "Big 3 worthy," the categorization becomes kind of meaningless.

How about Trae Young, DeAaron Fox, Jalen Brunson, CJ McCollum, Ty Maxey, Ty Halliburton? Obviously, Curry is still in that category, but is Klay? Any wavering on Kyrie, Morant, or Harden due to age or their various off court issues?

I’m not sure how Beal, who’s been chronically injured for a couple years and has seen his stats take a healthy fall to 23 ppg is considered worthy of a big 3 moniker but an Ant-Man, Murray or Mitchell wouldn’t be.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure how Beal, who’s been chronically injured for a couple years and has seen his stats take a healthy fall to 23 ppg is considered worthy of a big 3 moniker but an Ant-Man, Murray or Mitchell wouldn’t be.
This was likely a bunch of PR but Book during media day said that he considered Beal the best SG in the league. I am sure this was pre-injury too but if Beal can stay healthy (which is a big if), it's possible.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was likely a bunch of PR but Book during media day said that he considered Beal the best SG in the league. I am sure this was pre-injury too but if Beal can stay healthy (which is a big if), it's possible.
Oh I have no problem with Beal being mentioned as part of a Big Three. I just think it’s really odd for Suns fans to give him that level of credit while questioning the same thing with Jamal Murray, Ant-Man and Mitchell.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still is mind-boggling to me how underrated Jamal Murray is on this board.
Right? It’s not like Denver was/is loaded. They’ve got the best player in the league but they don’t tear through everyone else unless Jokic has a great number 2… which is what Murray is.

I mean… we saw how easily they were dispatched of two years running without Murray. If immediately winning a title, rather easily, wasn’t proof of his impact, I don’t know what would be.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will say this once, and then forget I ever said it. I wish somehow we could have ended up with Jrue this summer instead of Beal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say this once, and then forget I ever said it. I wish somehow we could have ended up with Jrue this summer instead of Beal.

I think a lot of us would have been down with that.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

To me to qualify for big 3 they need to be top 50 players - so in my definition yes just about everyone you listed would would qualify. Klay is on the borderline to me.
Harden is getting close to falling off my list as well, I certainly rank Maxey above him at this point.

SGA is a cut above all those you listed, he is clearly a top 10 player.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure, but I'm pretty ok with Beal also.
I think I prefer Beal over Jrue. He is younger and his offense is top tier.

I really think having 3 top tier scorers is going to make us nearly unstoppable.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ant Man and Mitchell absolutely are worthy.

Murray is questionable.

Do you really think his stats fell because he has lost some level of skill, or is it that he is just taking less shots. His efficiency didn't really change, so I am pretty sure it is more that latter.

I think people are underestimating Beal if anything, now being on a national stage with a chance to win a title I expect him to be reinvigorated.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Murray is questionable.

Do you really think his stats fell because he has lost some level of skill, or is it that he is just taking less shots. His efficiency didn't really change, so I am pretty sure it is more that latter.

I think people are underestimating Beal if anything, now being on a national stage with a chance to win a title I expect him to be reinvigorated.
He was the clear #2 on a team that won the championship. Mind-boggling how Murray doesn't get credit.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was the clear #2 on a team that won the championship. Mind-boggling how Murray doesn't get credit.
While being a flame thrower in his playoff history, helping the Nuggets to the WCF and then the Finals Championship in his last two appearances… with nothing even close to a #3 on that team. And without him, that team not only didn’t get close to those heights, it got its butt absolutely murdered by the Warriors in the first round and then one of the most embarassing sweeps of all time in the second round to us.

It’s very confusing. His impact on the court is immense but because he only averages 20/5/6 he’s not even worthy of being a THIRD big star? Come on.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
While being a flame thrower in his playoff history, helping the Nuggets to the WCF and then the Finals Championship in his last two appearances… with nothing even close to a #3 on that team. And without him, that team not only didn’t get close to those heights, it got its butt absolutely murdered by the Warriors in the first round and then one of the most embarassing sweeps of all time in the second round to us.

It’s very confusing. His impact on the court is immense but because he only averages 20/5/6 he’s not even worthy of being a THIRD big star? Come on.
And he was SO good against us! We saw first-hand how good he was. He'll never be a #1 on a contender, but man if he isn't a really great second piece.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Murray is questionable.

Let me ask you this… say we were doing this exercise back in the 90’s. Would Reggie Miller not even qualify as a bonafide #3 on a title contender? He scored pretty much at the same rate, had half of Murray’s assists per year and leas rebounds.

I have no idea about Beal. But even saying the above, I still think he’s a bonafide 3 of a big 3. I just find it bizarre that you don’t think Murray is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And he was SO good against us! We saw first-hand how good he was. He'll never be a #1 on a contender, but man if he isn't a really great second piece.
Right… and to be a member of a big 3, you don’t need to be a #1 on a contender. I mean, Beal’s never been close to that but we all agree he’s a star as third banana.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Right… and to be a member of a big 3, you don’t need to be a #1 on a contender. I mean, Beal’s never been close to that but we all agree he’s a star as third banana.
Personally I think the biggest fact supporting murray beings a legit part of a big 3 is the fact that both cheese and chap are quoting and supporting each in favor of him. That NEVER happens.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Personally I think the biggest fact supporting murray beings a legit part of a big 3 is the fact that both cheese and chap are quoting and supporting each in favor of him. That NEVER happens.
When was the last time cheese and I had a big drag out feud? I think it's been literally years, right? I think the last big feud I had with your family was with YOU! ;)

Funny enough, I thank a former President for allowing us to have common ground...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh - sorry I was thinking you were referring to De'jontae Murray.

Jamal Murray - yes he qualifies in my book, he is close to a top 20 player.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me ask you this… say we were doing this exercise back in the 90’s. Would Reggie Miller not even qualify as a bonafide #3 on a title contender? He scored pretty much at the same rate, had half of Murray’s assists per year and leas rebounds.

I have no idea about Beal. But even saying the above, I still think he’s a bonafide 3 of a big 3. I just find it bizarre that you don’t think Murray is.
As I said in the previous post I was thinking Dejonte Murray, not Jamal, he slipped my mind somehow.

Yes Reggie Miller would qualify.