Philadelphia Eagles @ Arizona Cardinals Pregame Thread. 10/2/22-10/8/22

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kyler has so much ability. If he could just focus and knuckle down. Put the work in understanding and reading defenses and improving his pre snap and post snap reads he could be a top 5 QB.

I just have no faith he will now he's already been paid. If he won't do it now why change?
This.

Murray needs to understand that if he is patient and methodically carves up defenses underneath, he will get better matchups down the field. Those alert throws just aren't there right now for the most part.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Why we suck on offense

This is pretty much the opposite of last year. Which I would consider before you say "It's the scheme!"

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I still think this is mostly Murray taking what the defense gives underneath, instead of forcing passes into double/triple coverage downfield to receivers not name DHop. I think when Hopkins returns we will see the downfield targeting increase greatly.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think this is mostly Murray taking what the defense gives underneath, instead of forcing passes into double/triple coverage downfield to receivers not name DHop. I think when Hopkins returns we will see the downfield targeting increase greatly.

I've watched a bunch of All 2 this season and I'm not seeing any real change in coverages. If anything teams are leaning towards the underneath stuff.

I'm going to go quickly skim the Panthers tape...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh

Kyler's pick 6. Wide open Ertz and a more difficult but still open Moore. The safety that is between the 2 is static and undecided so if that ball is placed over him to a full speed Moore no way either safety can get it.

Ertz is super open when you watch it in motion. Instead he picks the worst option out of the 5 available.

You must be registered for see images attach

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Plus, I don't believe the Cardinals see a lot of Cover 2 because of Kyler running, but more so because of how of much we hit the short underneath routes.
i think the causation runs the opposite way.

i think Kyler is uber aggressive by nature in the passing game -- he wants to push the ball downfield if he gets a one v one matchup -- especially his favorite throws deep and outside.

But two-high safeties take those throws away. So, he is reduced to the 5-8 yard underneath stuff-- especially if he continues on going where pre snap tells him to go.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not expecting a win for the Cardinals this week. Which I can handle. What I can't handle is the obnoxious Eagles fans that I work with.

Oh please football gods, let the Cardinals win even though they probably don't deserve it. The world will not be able to tolerate another week of the Eagles being undefeated. Eagles fans are already the most annoying in the league.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Ugh

Kyler's pick 6. Wide open Ertz and a more difficult but still open Moore. The safety that is between the 2 is static and undecided so if that ball is placed over him to a full speed Moore no way either safety can get it.

Ertz is super open when you watch it in motion. Instead he picks the worst option out of the 5 available.

on the int replay from behind -- you see Moore breaking free. Thrown at the "40" or just outside it -- curious if that far hash safety could have gotten there

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DHop effect.

Kyler relies so much on those alert throws to get the offense going.

It's Steph Curry to me, they call it gravity in basketball but teams worry about D Hop so much that it changes the defense it's like Kyler has one less defender to worry about. Which not only impacts the passing game it impacts the run game because that one extra defender is not there to stop him running.

Hollywood has been quite good but I don't think he has the gravity that D Hop has.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh

The really frustrating thing is that throw to Ertz is the throw Kyler has been brilliant at in his career. he hits D Hop with it regularly and now Hollywood. In fact with him staring down Hollywood if he throws that the guy in front of Ertz is probably going to be breaking towards Hollywood making the throw to Ertz easier.

Rondale is a tougher throw but one he can definitely make.

He was clearly confused, he was complaining about PI and there is negligible contact there but it wasn't PI. In fact I'm not sure if he was asking for a PI flag or he thought he got hit late, i don't think either was the case just a bad decision.

Also look where Conner is after the pick has the guy dead to rights and completely whiffs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's Steph Curry to me, they call it gravity in basketball but teams worry about D Hop so much that it changes the defense it's like Kyler has one less defender to worry about. Which not only impacts the passing game it impacts the run game because that one extra defender is not there to stop him running.

Hollywood has been quite good but I don't think he has the gravity that D Hop has.
We very well could see the Cardinals offense take off once DHop is back. If he is effective enough, then you have to pick your poison. Do you try to double DHop or Hollywood? And if you try both, that's a bad spot to be in defensively.

I'm still optimistic that they can at least be measureably better once DHop is back.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We very well could see the Cardinals offense take off once DHop is back. If he is effective enough, then you have to pick your poison. Do you try to double DHop or Hollywood? And if you try both, that's a bad spot to be in defensively.

I'm still optimistic that they can at least be measureably better once DHop is back.

Yeah I doubt we go 7-0 again like last year but it would not shock me at all if we're significantly better on offense once D Hop gets back.

If we can tread water to 3-3 as bad as the division is it gives us a chance.

An upset of Philly would be huge but seems unlikely. It's interesting athletically the guy you want to spy on Hurts is probably Simmons but they're such a good run offense my guess is he might not play much because we seem to only use him in coverage.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Quoting from another active thread here, unfortunately we’re trash and we’re gonna get trashed. Hope I’m wrong.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

For teams with an elite CB, you put him on Hollywood and double DHop. Hopefully that leaves Ertz and eventually McBride free to win.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
on the int replay from behind -- you see Moore breaking free. Thrown at the "40" or just outside it -- curious if that far hash safety could have gotten there

Considering how far away he is I wouldn't think so unless it's under thrown.