Philadelphia Eagles @ Arizona Cardinals Pregame Thread. 10/2/22-10/8/22

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good news! Players placed on IR that can return after game 4.
M. Hayes IR
J. Miles IR
A. Wesley IR
A. Hamilton NIR
C. Washington IR
C. McCoy IR
C. Ford IR
Bad news? This means 7 players could be cut to make room.

Hayes can't come off as he went on before week 1.

Not sure all the rest will come off as you only get 8 per season and they will want to keep some for later.

I think Tweezy, Hamilton, McCoy and Ford.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Exactly… make Hurts throw and you win the game. Same thing as Lamar, except Hurts accuracy is even worse. Not sure if they’ll have to throw w that running game of theirs though
Da Hilg, Have you watched Jalen Hurts this year? You're giving zero credit to his ability to throw the rock. This isn't the Hurts of old. He's delivering the ball both from the pocket and on the run and has superb WR talent in Brown and Smith as well as Goedert who's also one of the top TE's in the game. Couple that with perhaps the best line in football and you can see why this game is prone to be a huge problem for us. In the Vikings game he had an 80% completion percentage, 300 yards passing and two rushing touchdowns in the game. Never been done before in HISTORY.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Greg Dortch will get more than 1 target next weekend.

That was infuriating they had all camp and preseason to figure out Dortch can play and that they probably ought to figure a way to play him and Rondale together. And then Rondale comes back and Kliff buries Dortch. I did see a few plays where both were in there together

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Da Hilg, Have you watched Jalen Hurts this year? You're giving zero credit to his ability to throw the rock. This isn't the Hurts of old. He's delivering the ball both from the pocket and on the run and has superb WR talent in Brown and Smith as well as Goedert who's also one of the top TE's in the game. Couple that with perhaps the best line in football and you can see why this game is prone to be a huge problem for us. In the Vikings game he had an 80% completion rating, 300 yards passing and two rushing touchdowns in the game. Never been done before in HISTORY.

His one year improvement has been remarkable. they couldn't run an NFL offense last year with him they had to switch to running the ball because he wouldn't throw over the middle and was constantly looking to run. This year totally different player

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was infuriating they had all camp and preseason to figure out Dortch can play and that they probably ought to figure a way to play him and Rondale together. And then Rondale comes back and Kliff buries Dortch. I did see a few plays where both were in there together

Dortch was out there for almost 40 plays so I wouldn’t call him “buried”

But he def wasn’t used like he should be.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dortch was out there for almost 40 plays so I wouldn’t call him “buried”

But he def wasn’t used like he should be.

Wow I didn't notice him nearly that much.

Reactions: PJ1

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it's officially the 1st Cardinals hosting the 1st place Eagles!

interestingly they are plus 8 in turnover margin right now which leads the NFL. So great they're a fluke we have a chance. We are THIRD in turnover margin at plus 4. Nevermind.

Dynomite

Veteran
Reaction score
yes dortch can play but we cant have all our receivers under 5'11. Looks like a peewee league out there.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why we suck on offense

This is pretty much the opposite of last year. Which I would consider before you say "It's the scheme!"

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like to see this defense stat without the Chiefs game where every play was pretty much a 1st down or TD

The offense graph just proves how misleading stats can be

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marquise tied 3rd in ESPN "Open" stats

Looking forward to him on one side and Nuk on the other.

I'm sure people said it was an awful trade and he was an average WR with drop issues.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I like to see this defense stat without the Chiefs game where every play was pretty much a 1st down or TD

The offense graph just proves how misleading stats can be

It’s a weird metric because it treats TDs and First downs as equivalent outcomes but shunts field goals to the side. Doesn’t seem to provide a lot of insights beyond a pretty chart.

A 5-play drive where you get a 1st and then have to punt seems like a worse outcome than a drive that ends with a field goal.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a weird metric because it treats TDs and First downs as equivalent outcomes but shunts field goals to the side. Doesn’t seem to provide a lot of insights beyond a pretty chart.

A 5-play drive where you get a 1st and then have to punt seems like a worse outcome than a drive that ends with a field goal.

I’m confused isn’t that a worse outcome no points?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why we suck on offense

This is pretty much the opposite of last year. Which I would consider before you say "It's the scheme!"

The DHop effect.

Kyler relies so much on those alert throws to get the offense going.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The DHop effect.

Kyler relies so much on those alert throws to get the offense going.

Kyler has so much ability. If he could just focus and knuckle down. Put the work in understanding and reading defenses and improving his pre snap and post snap reads he could be a top 5 QB.

I just have no faith he will now he's already been paid. If he won't do it now why change?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Why we suck on offense

i considered making this its own thread --

while the Cards arent mentioned in it -- they are being impacted by it none the less. for those that dont want to click through and read:

two high is forcing teams to be patient.

this really hits the Cards as they dont run all that well in early downs, and, with two safeties protecting deep -- the exploitable area is the middle at 10-20 yards which is exactly the weakest part of Kylers game.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

i considered making this its own thread --

while the Cards arent mentioned in it -- they are being impacted by it none the less. for those that dont want to click through and read:

two high is forcing teams to be patient.

this really hits the Cards as they dont run all that well in early downs, and, with two safeties protecting deep -- the exploitable area is the middle at 10-20 yards which is exactly the weakest part of Kylers game.

Hmm. It's a small sample. And teams 1 and 3 on the list aren't teams with good running games. They have been pass heavy.

And the percentages aren't massively different.

"Rates of Cover-1 man have dropped to 19.8% [in 2022] from a four-year average of 26.5%. Schemes with multiple deep safeties have jumped, including Cover-2 zone (up to 13.8% usage in 2022 from a four-year average of 11.2%) and Quarters (up to 14.7% usage in 2022 from a four-year average of 11.4%)."

Plus, I don't believe the Cardinals see a lot of Cover 2 because of Kyler running, but more so because of how of much we hit the short underneath routes.