PFW article on players to watch at Senior Bowl

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the article, I already favorited it and will refer to it throughout the week.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
That's funny, 4 of the first 5 listed(no Glennon) are guys I have mentioned wanting the Cards to draft. Ellington and Gillislee are my 2 favorite back, Wilson and Nassib are my two favorite QB's, and I think Denard Robinson is going to be a big playmaker at the NFL level. I would love for him to be around in round 4 but that may be stretching it, especially if he burns the 40 at the combine.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
1. Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse (6020, 228 and 5.05): Already rising up draft boards, NFL personnel are excited to see Nassib matched up with the best senior talent in the country. Quick and athletic to avoid pressure, re-set and make accurate throws, Nassib has NFL teams intrigued. After charting out Nassib in five games we consider him to be the best quarterback in the 2013 NFL Draft and worth drafting with the first overall pick, so we are excited to see how he does in Mobile.

Wow..... I couldn't read much more after this. What a nutty thing to say IMO.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
If this week does anything I hope it stops the whole Mike Glennon hype train dead in its tracks. Per usual the draft pundits are trying to find the diamond in the rough and will hype anyone just to do so. I blame it on Kiper who was the first to even bring his name up and now all of the hacks are just being parrots.

I say it every year and proves to be correct 99% of the time. And it is one of Parcells draft rules. Do not draft a QB with less then 60% completion percentage, especially one with a less then 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio. Making his comp % even worse is that they guy was throwing dink and dunk most of the time with a horrid 7 yards per attempt (That ranks for 65th out of 116 Div 1 QB's with 100 or more pass attempts).

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If this week does anything I hope it stops the whole Mike Glennon hype train dead in its tracks. Per usual the draft pundits are trying to find the diamond in the rough and will hype anyone just to do so. I blame it on Kiper who was the first to even bring his name up and now all of the hacks are just being parrots.

I say it every year and proves to be correct 99% of the time. And it is one of Parcells draft rules. Do not draft a QB with less then 60% completion percentage, especially one with a less then 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio. Making his comp % even worse is that they guy was throwing dink and dunk most of the time with a horrid 7 yards per attempt (That ranks for 65th out of 116 Div 1 QB's with 100 or more pass attempts).

:thumbup:

That means Buffalo is all over him a #8. :p

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Pretty happy to see you around Joe. Good post!

Sent from my 4G/LTE Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk HD.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I have only seen one Game of Glennon so I won't be disagreeing with you here, but I will say in the one game I did see his teammates looked horrible. It was the game against UNC and his receivers dropped 8 passes one of which was picked and the other interception was a complete lack of trying to make a play on a deep ball by his receiver. Also something I saw in that game was little time to survey the field on a lot of drop backs and near immediate pressure on quite a few drop backs.

Again I haven't seen much of his games, but if a lot of them are anything like that game against UNC than I can see why his stats aren't very good.

Addition: I would also like to point out that there were about 5-6 throws in that UNC game that I was thoroughly impressed with.

Last edited:

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Agree 100% and hopefully do does Steve Keim and Bruce Arians! Accuracy is the #1 criteria. Look at all the great ones and that is the quality they all have (Aikman, Brady, Montana, Manning, Rogers, etc..). Geno Smith statistically is the best of this years rookie class. He had a game this past season where he went 23 for 24 (91-92 percent).

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I have only seen one Game of Glennon so I won't be disagreeing with you here, but I will say in the one game I did see his teammates looked horrible. It was the game against UNC and his receivers dropped 8 passes one of which was picked and the other interception was a complete lack of trying to make a play on a deep ball by his receiver. Also something I saw in that game was little time to survey the field on a lot of drop backs and near immediate pressure on quite a few drop backs.

Again I haven't seen much of his games, but if a lot of them are anything like that game against UNC than I can see why his stats aren't very good.

Addition: I would also like to point out that there were about 5-6 throws in that UNC game that I was thoroughly impressed with.

Saw that game as well. While he was plagued with drops, those drops may have raised his percentage a few points, but still not into respectability range. Saw many more and I was not impressed one bit.

Kiper is enamored with his size and his arm strength, which is why he is willing to try and cover up his huge warts. I think this is a case of pundits getting to worked up with physical traits more so then actually intangibles and production. I know I ran into that trap in the opposite way last year with Russell Wilson.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Saw that game as well. While he was plagued with drops, those drops may have raised his percentage a few points, but still not into respectability range. Saw many more and I was not impressed one bit.

Kiper is enamored with his size and his arm strength, which is why he is willing to try and cover up his huge warts. I think this is a case of pundits getting to worked up with physical traits more so then actually intangibles and production. I know I ran into that trap in the opposite way last year with Russell Wilson.
That game in particular drops accounted for about 15% on his completion percentage. He completed about 56% of his passes in that game and if those 8 drops are caught it would have been 71% completion %.

Edit: It was actually 10 drops. http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/47254/nc-state-laments-dropped-passes

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
That game in particular drops accounted for about 15% on his completion percentage. He completed about 56% of his passes in that game and if those 8 drops are caught it would have been 71% completion %.

Wasn't talking about one game out of 12, his WR's didn't drop 8 passes per game last year.

And they didn't the year before when he was only at 62% with an even more horrid yards per attempt.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Wasn't talking about one game out of 12, his WR's didn't drop 8 passes per game last year.

And they didn't the year before when he was only at 62% with an even more horrid yards per attempt.
Ok, sounded like you were talking about that game in particular. You are right that game may have been an anomaly, but 10* drops was a lot for one game and I wouldn't be surprised if I found out that they dropped quite a few throughout the season.

Again I'm not saying he is as good as some are saying, but was just trying to point out the things I saw in that 1 game.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Thought I would throw some pretty interesting stats out there. Russel Wilson started for NC State for 2 years prior to going to Wisconsin. His numbers at NC State were very similar to those of Glennon's at that same school. Wilson went to a school with much more talent in his senior year and put up arguably the best numbers in the country amongst college QBs last year.

Wilson's college stats:

YEAR TEAM CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

2008 NCST 150 275 54.5 1955 7.1 17 67 1 133.9

2009 NCST 224 378 59.3 3027 8.0 31 80 11 147.8

2010 NCST 308 527 58.4 3563 6.8 28 60 14 127.5

2011 WIS 225 309 72.8 3175 10.3 33 66 4 191.8

Glennon's college stats:

YEAR TEAM CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

2009 NCST 24 39 61.5 248 6.4 1 24 2 113.2

2010 NCST 9 13 69.2 78 6.0 0 17 0 119.6

2011 NCST 283 453 62.5 3054 6.7 31 87 12 136.4

2012 NCST 330 564 58.5 4031 7.1 31 83 17 130.7

Am I saying this proves that Glennon will have just as much success our be just as good? Not necessarily, but I think this shows that stats don't mean everything when it comes to QBs and if Glennon played for a bigger more talented school I believe he would have had much better numbers.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
QB Ryan Nassib the number 1 overall pick in the draft?????

Ridiculous.

None of these QBs are 1st round worthy, IMO. Some teams are gonna be doing some major reaching especially in the Top 5.

Early returns indicate that we could get an equal or better QB in the 2nd round. Focus on the o-line or pass rush with #7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
None of these QBs are 1st round worthy, IMO. Some teams are gonna be doing some major reaching especially in the Top 5.

Early returns indicate that we could get an equal or better QB in the 2nd round. Focus on the o-line or pass rush with #7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
With this coaching staff, if they feel like grabbing a QB in the first I will feel pretty comfortable that it will be a good choice. Tom Moore and BA both have some really good history with good QBs thus if they feel they like a guy enough to use the #7 pick on one I will be satisfied with it.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
With this coaching staff, if they feel like grabbing a QB in the first I will feel pretty comfortable that it will be a good choice. Tom Moore and BA both have some really good history with good QBs thus if they feel they like a guy enough to use the #7 pick on one I will be satisfied with it.

Bingo

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Agree. I don't see the Mike Glennon hype either. He's basically John Skelton but played for NC St rather than Fordham.

My scouting friend,when he wathced him, told me exactly what most people have been saying. He has the NFL arm but is way too streaky for his liking.

However, I'm sure there scouts/coaches out there that think they can coach him up. I've always maintained that accuracy can't be taught. You either have it you don't. It's like in Bball, you're either a good shooter or you're not. It's like some coach thinking he's going make Shaq or Dwight Howard into a good FT shooter. Not going to happen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard