PFF: 2024 Mock Draft

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And yet we did that, AND it was the right move.
This time, perhaps. I've grudgingly accepted the situation although I wanted Anderson. We're talking next year, however, not this year, and we're talking about a much better prospect in MHJ and a QB (should the need arise). When you have the chance to set up your franchise with a QB, you do it. Again, if you have the chance to take a player you think could be the next Fitz, you don't punt for a later pick and picks in the future. Doing so constantly will more than likely constantly land you high picks. They don't give those out to good teams :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I feel you want us to rebuild for 2-3 years. Do you think that's a good idea or a good plan?
I want us to win the SB next year. I just don't think it will happen.

I do think true rebuilds take 2-3 years of solid drafting.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think if Ossenforts plan works out, the Cardinals can be competitive after the 2024 draft.

One thing that was mentioned in the Football Outsider's NFL Draft grade that is a very solid point is that Ossenfort doesn't have  his scouts right now. That affects both the college and pro personnel side. That actually makes sense why the Cardinals haven't been too active in free agency.

Arizona Cardinals
Improved Roster: B-
Used Resources Well: A+
Met Needs: B-
FINAL PPA: B

To everything there is a season. A time to trade up. A time to trade down. A time to rebuild. A time to win now. A time to draft the best player available. A time to wait and add picks for next year.

The Cardinals added a 2024 first-round pick and two third-rounders through various trades this weekend, and I love it. The roster is in disarray, and so is the front office: my guess is that general manager Monti Ossenfort needs to restructure some things before he can really trust his personnel department's decision-making. The Cardinals need a fallow-field year more than they needed someone like Will Anderson to notch 10 sacks for a six-win team.

That said, Paris Johnson and BJ Ojulari are fine picks, but the Cardinals needed more mid-round offensive line reinforcements than just Jon Gaines. Owen Pappoe is the last thing the Cardinals need: another pumped-up safety with great workout numbers and mediocre instincts trying to play linebacker.

Clayton Tune does not have fifth-round talent; Jeff Driskel or David Blough could easily beat him in training camp, especially if the Cardinals need a September starter due to Kyler Murray's injury. Michael Wilson hasn't looked like a third-round value since 2019, and if DeAndre Hopkins is staying put, the Cardinals didn't need to invest at receiver.

Every draft grade is actually "to be determined in a few years." The Cardinals' true draft grade is "check back and see whom they select in 2024."

Stout

Reaction score
I want us to win the SB next year. I just don't think it will happen.

I do think true rebuilds take 2-3 years of solid drafting.
To win the SB, perhaps, but I very much disagree. Most teams can, if they do it right, compete in a year. Our roster was so decimated they get a mulligan year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To win the SB, perhaps, but I very much disagree. Most teams can, if they do it right, compete in a year. Our roster was so decimated they get a mulligan year.
Sure, if you are rebuilding in the hopes to possibly make the playoffs.

Stout

Reaction score
Sure, if you are rebuilding in the hopes to possibly make the playoffs.
That's what people are talking about when they say "compete," no? Because once you get into the playoffs, who knows what can happen. A gutsy team once dubbed the "worst ever playoff team" once proved crazy things can happen in the playoffs.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That's what people are talking about when they say "compete," no? Because once you get into the playoffs, who knows what can happen. A gutsy team once dubbed the "worst ever playoff team" once proved crazy things can happen in the playoffs.
Collingsworth was a moron for saying it - that Cards team was loaded with talent.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He can be, because he has traits that translate better to the NFL.

It's not a "lie". Verse is considered a top ten prospect in a much better draft class.
He was considered inferior to both Anderson & Tyree(which I personally disagree with) in THIS class. So, yes, that’s a lie.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you did that, you'd pretty much out of necessity need to spread that over 2024 and 2025. Which meant 2026 is the first realistic year we'd be competitive. I guess if the team is really in it for the long haul.
You wouldn't. I showed that in the other thread. In a trade, the Cardinals are only on the hook for the bonus money paid out. It's like 36 or 38 mil and with our lack of talent, it would be easy to free up that much and more through cuts we probably should make anyways.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
You wouldn't. I showed that in the other thread. In a trade, the Cardinals are only on the hook for the bonus money paid out. It's like 36 or 38 mil and with our lack of talent, it would be easy to free up that much and more through cuts we probably should make anyways.
I think I meant that in relation to cutting Kyler after 2023.

I agree that another team taking on Kyler's contract could work financially, I just question that a team would do so if we were essentially giving up on him two years into a long-term contract. I think he'd have to play really well after returning from injury for a contending team who feels they are a QB away to think he is that QB - which then gets back into the question of why we'd trade him then, and whether we'd even be in a position to take one of the top QBs in the draft if this does happen (we'd probably need to leverage the Texans pick to do so, if they suck that bad, in this scenario).

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think I meant that in relation to cutting Kyler after 2023.

I agree that another team taking on Kyler's contract could work financially, I just question that a team would do so if we were essentially giving up on him two years into a long-term contract. I think he'd have to play really well after returning from injury for a contending team who feels they are a QB away to think he is that QB - which then gets back into the question of why we'd trade him then, and whether we'd even be in a position to take one of the top QBs in the draft if this does happen (we'd probably need to leverage the Texans pick to do so, if they suck that bad, in this scenario).
If Caleb is viewed as the next Mahomes, the Cardinals preferring him would not be a red flag.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
If Caleb is viewed as the next Mahomes, the Cardinals preferring him would not be a red flag.
Has something like this happened in NFL history? I’m struggling to remember a situation where teams were clamoring to trade for a highly paid franchise QB because the team was planning draft someone new high in the draft. Peyton Manning with the Colts might be the most comparable situation maybe? And he was much older, had significant long-term injury concerns and was released not traded.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
He was considered inferior to both Anderson & Tyree(which I personally disagree with) in THIS class. So, yes, that’s a lie.
Come on man. It's not a lie it's one mans opinion. I say we wait and give Verse another year in college ball and then we can decide who "we" think is better. No one on here is trying to lie to each other.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So what year do you finally stop trading for next year's picks over drafting, you know, the actual top talent in the draft? 2 years? 3? 5? Never? I get it this year. If we're still trying to rebuild in 2025 (which is what you're advocating, getting a haul for 2025 at the expense of 2024) Monti and Gannon and co should be in hot water, because I'm not about a three-year rebuild. That's just bad business in the modern NFL. If we aren't talking about competing in 2024, we're doing this wrong.
If you trade back with one of 2024 1sts and get a first in 2025 you’ve still got two firsts in 2024 but now have two in 2025 as well. You’re not kicking the pick forward. It’s actually somewhat brilliant to do so every year once you have two picks in the first. Unless you have the opportunity to pick a can’t miss talent at a spot where trading down blows a rare opportunity.

Stout

Reaction score
If you trade back with one of 2024 1sts and get a first in 2025 you’ve still got two firsts in 2024 but now have two in 2025 as well. You’re not kicking the pick forward. It’s actually somewhat brilliant to do so every year once you have two picks in the first. Unless you have the opportunity to pick a can’t miss talent at a spot where trading down blows a rare opportunity.
Like I just said in another thread, posters are going crazy with possibilities. If you (and others) think we're having two top 1st rounders for the next 5-10 years you're smoking something. Like, Monti's the first one ever to think of this? lol

Also, as I've been saying, trading down may blow a rare opportunity. If Kyler doesn't work out and you can get what feels like the next Joe Burrows and Larry Fitz, per se, why in the world would you trade down?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He could be. Drake Maye is a ? for me. One year as a starter is just not enough to evaluate.
It is, which is why I fully expect that if he has a similar season to last year, he will surpass Caleb Williams.

Maye was among the most pressured QBs at any power five school, yet he played at an elite level. Led college football in big time throws and was top five as a deep passer. Maye was the best QB in the country from structure, but he also rushed for over 800 yards (if you don't substract his sack yardage), so he can really run as well.

For all of Williams improvisational skills, 27% of the sacks he took were attributed to him.
that said, I questions Caleb losing the PAC 12 title and their Bowl game.
Definitely a question mark, but to be fair, Maye did end his season with 5 straight losses though obviously he doesn't have a great team around him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Like I just said in another thread, posters are going crazy with possibilities. If you (and others) think we're having two top 1st rounders for the next 5-10 years you're smoking something. Like, Monti's the first one ever to think of this? lol

Also, as I've been saying, trading down may blow a rare opportunity. If Kyler doesn't work out and you can get what feels like the next Joe Burrows and Larry Fitz, per se, why in the world would you trade down?
I wouldn’t. I explicitly stated you don’t pass up opportunity. But absent such an obvious opportunity there’s a great alternative to keep picking up additional high picks. In all likelihood that kind of runs out as each subsequent year one of your two picks likely keeps working it’s way down the first round either because you get better or trading back each time likely means trading with successfully better teams (otherwise they wouldn’t be trading from behind you). So there’s likely a shelf life unless you’re willing to keep it going into subsequent rounds.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It is, which is why I fully expect that if he has a similar season to last year, he will surpass Caleb Williams.

Maye was among the most pressured QBs at any power five school, yet he played at an elite level. Led college football in big time throws and was top five as a deep passer. Maye was the best QB in the country from structure, but he also rushed for over 800 yards (if you don't substract his sack yardage), so he can really run as well.

For all of Williams improvisational skills, 27% of the sacks he took were attributed to him.

Definitely a question mark, but to be fair, Maye did end his season with 5 straight losses though obviously he doesn't have a great team around him.
It’s quite amazing that we’re probably guaranteed a top-3 pick next year in a draft likely includes two franchise QB’s that you can either draft or trade plus Marvin Harrison Jr. Tanking down the stretch last year really set this franchise up going forward and doubling down next year could really ignite something special. Monti is smart and knows that. Embrace thy tanketh.