PF options

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but without losing anything we could just use Bender. Decent fundamental defense, long enough, quick enough on the perimeter. Not a knockdown 3pt shooter but enough to keep defenders honest while he's occupying one of the corners.

At no point has Bender shown decent defense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't play close to the hoop now or at least he spends way too much time 18 feet out.

Agreed but when he does the things I (hopefully, we) want to see him do, he's not standing 20 feet from the basket facing the other end of the court.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At no point has Bender shown decent defense.

This could only be said by someone that hasn't watched him play most nights. Yes, he has shown decent defense at various times (points). But yeah, you are not as wrong as the fans that claim he's actually been a decent defender.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but without losing anything we could just use Bender. Decent fundamental defense, long enough, quick enough on the perimeter. Not a knockdown 3pt shooter but enough to keep defenders honest while he's occupying one of the corners.

I agree with this part but I don't agree that he's been a decent defender. He's had moments, a few more on defense than he's had on offense, but they pale in comparison to his overall play. But we're so bad, I don't know how he could do anything but make us at least slightly better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Igor has said Bender is a G-League player. I'm not sure if he will ever be more.

If he were playing in the G-League, I'm not sure he would be a player to get excited about.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Igor has said Bender is a G-League player. I'm not sure if he will ever be more.

If he were playing in the G-League, I'm not sure he would be a player to get excited about.

I got the feeling he was talking about knowledge and development, not raw ability. And I also think he was talking about where he was at that moment rather than a prediction of where he'd end up. But without an extension in place, I just don't know how much effort they are putting into bringing him along.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the feeling he was talking about knowledge and development, not raw ability. And I also think he was talking about where he was at that moment rather than a prediction of where he'd end up. But without an extension in place, I just don't know how much effort they are putting into bringing him along.

Bender not getting minutes has to say something with the Suns playing so poorly.

I'm thinking the Suns are looking at his contract as filler in a trade. I'd like to believe differently.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
key word is fundamental but at this point Bender might be the best option at PF right now. I say fundamental because he won't do some of the blunders our current PF's do, like getting screened off so easily, staying down on shooters, and okay pick and roll coverage. I'm not saying play the guy 25 plus, maybe like 10-15 night. I realize his defense doesn't translate with the numbers game as far as steals and blocks but with Ayton at center this could allow Bender to be a better individual defender. He has the size and length to really make it tough with another 7 footer behind him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
key word is fundamental but at this point Bender might be the best option at PF right now. I say fundamental because he won't do some of the blunders our current PF's do, like getting screened off so easily, staying down on shooters, and okay pick and roll coverage. I'm not saying play the guy 25 plus, maybe like 10-15 night. I realize his defense doesn't translate with the numbers game as far as steals and blocks but with Ayton at center this could allow Bender to be a better individual defender. He has the size and length to really make it tough with another 7 footer behind him.

On paper, Bender looks like an ideal PF to play alongside Ayton. Problem is that he just can't get get passed his mental problems.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
As long as Bender is still on the roster, it makes no sense to give up on him altogether. At this point, it's very unlikely that he'd be worse than Ariza or Anderson. I don't see what there is to lose by giving him another shot.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No this coach thinks we are fine and still would rather not play Bender. We are going to be a bottom 3 team but hey let's not play our number 4 pick. Thanks Igor Wilks....thanks

Finally, someone else catches on to my nickname for Igor.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
As long as Bender is still on the roster, it makes no sense to give up on him altogether. At this point, it's very unlikely that he'd be worse than Ariza or Anderson. I don't see what there is to lose by giving him another shot.

Agree, and I hate Bender. At least showcase him for a deadline deal.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bender not getting minutes has to say something with the Suns playing so poorly.

I'm thinking the Suns are looking at his contract as filler in a trade. I'd like to believe differently.

I think it says they don't want the decision to decline his option to bite them in the ass. If he starts playing well, how dumb does our front office look? We would then be helping him earn a contract elsewhere. I think we should give him a chance since he can't be worse than Anderson but I don't see it happening anytime soon. I think a number of posters here would be better than Anderson has been, so it's not that Bender is a savior in waiting or something but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Igor was told not to bother with him, let him ride the pine until he's gone.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it says they don't want the decision to decline his option to bite them in the ass. If he starts playing well, how dumb does our front office look? We would then be helping him earn a contract elsewhere. I think we should give him a chance since he can't be worse than Anderson but I don't see it happening anytime soon. I think a number of posters here would be better than Anderson has been, so it's not that Bender is a savior in waiting or something but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Igor was told not to bother with him, let him ride the pine until he's gone.

I'm definitely not a fan of Anderson or Ariza. If Bender can't get minutes now, I'm asking why. I'd like to believe there is hope for Bender with the Suns but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Maybe Igor is trying to justify the Suns front office for bringing Anderson and Ariza on board and will look to Bender later. IMO, it's kind of the Chriss situation except the Suns didn't want to clean house all at the same time.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's funny you say that...Last night, Aaron Epps had a standout game. There's no real reason to think he's an NBA player, and his shot makes Shawn Marion's jumper look like Joe Johnson's jumper.

But I immediately asked myself if he would be the best power forward on the Suns roster.

Impressive highlights. I don't think that his shot is that miserable.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm definitely not a fan of Anderson or Ariza. If Bender can't get minutes now, I'm asking why. I'd like to believe there is hope for Bender with the Suns but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Maybe Igor is trying to justify the Suns front office for bringing Anderson and Ariza on board and will look to Bender later. IMO, it's kind of the Chriss situation except the Suns didn't want to clean house all at the same time.

I think the reason he's not playing is solely to do with him expiring at years end. There's no point. He does well, we look dumb for declining the option, and if he sucks? He turns into a negative in any trade, not like he has value now but I don't think he has negative value. He would take minutes from veterans who would most likely complain and be unhappy and we're looking to build our image across the league with veterans. You don't do that by sitting them for garbage you have no vested interest in going forward. Benders' gone at year's end, regardless, might as well just use him as a practice body. Perhaps he has sucked in practice also.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the reason he's not playing is solely to do with him expiring at years end. There's no point. He does well, we look dumb for declining the option, and if he sucks? He turns into a negative in any trade, not like he has value now but I don't think he has negative value. He would take minutes from veterans who would most likely complain and be unhappy and we're looking to build our image across the league with veterans. You don't do that by sitting them for garbage you have no vested interest in going forward. Benders' gone at year's end, regardless, might as well just use him as a practice body. Perhaps he has sucked in practice also.
Then why not just cut him? I don’t get this reasoning at all.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Then why not just cut him? I don’t get this reasoning at all.
Exactly. Makes no sense.

What DOES make sense, IMO, is Igor's unwillingness to make major changes. He's finally started to show some ability to make smaller changes, like starting Warren and benching JJ, but it still isn't working, so keep tweaking. What the worst that can happen at this point?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well I will go this far - it now makes more sense to play Bender than Anderson.

But really it probably doesn't make sense to play either, since you know they both stink.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. Makes no sense.

What DOES make sense, IMO, is Igor's unwillingness to make major changes. He's finally started to show some ability to make smaller changes, like starting Warren and benching JJ, but it still isn't working, so keep tweaking. What the worst that can happen at this point?

I'm thinking he's makin minor adjustments to see what we really are as individuals. Seems like we thought we were better then we really were last year and figured it was Bledsoe or lack of coaching.

This year, seems like we thought we were better then we really are again considering all the roster changes we made and finally established a coach.

Somewhere coaching has to determine the underlying issue with this team.

We are still a terrible team this year and were the previous two years. I can see why he wants to make adjustments slow to see what everyone really is.

We've just been too dynamic as an organization. The only stable thing was Sarver and McD and they're the ones who put us in this situation.

I could be completely wrong and in the end Coach doesn't know what he's doing.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think it says they don't want the decision to decline his option to bite them in the ass. If he starts playing well, how dumb does our front office look?

About as dumb as they would look by instead giving minutes to Ariza, who sucks and won't be here next year, or Anderson, who also sucks and also won't be here next year.

There is no PF on the roster who has any chance of being part of the future, so that consideration falls out of the equation. Just try to be minimally competitive and worry about next year when we get there.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
About as dumb as they would look by instead giving minutes to Ariza, who sucks and won't be here next year, or Anderson, who also sucks and also won't be here next year.

There is no PF on the roster who has any chance of being part of the future, so that consideration falls out of the equation. Just try to be minimally competitive and worry about next year when we get there.

Anderson is under contract for next season. If he turns it on then he may have a future but that's only because Sarver might not be ok with paying him almost $16 million to go away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard