PF options

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Holmes played well tonight, and his game is different enough from Ayton's that I don't see why they can't be on the floor together. Surely Holmes would do a better job than Ariza or Anderson, even if it's for only 15 minutes per game.

And/or, what about Faried? He's on an expiring contract for $13.8 million and Brooklyn isn't using him. Offer Bender, Daniels, and a second-round pick, and I can't see why the Nets would decline. It saves them money with no long-term costs. The Suns pick up a rebounding/energy guy who's not quite 29 and motivated to play for his next contract.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
The problem is that the Suns have so many SFs that they have to play Warren at 4 to find playing time for everyone. I suppose they could bench Ariza. I like Faried, but I think PG is a much bigger need.

As for Holmes, the problem is that the teams don't have to guard him. He is virtually useless on offense, and he doesn't really excel at anything defensively either.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The problem is that the Suns have so many SFs that they have to play Warren at 4 to find playing time for everyone. I suppose they could bench Ariza. I like Faried, but I think PG is a much bigger need.

I think PG is a bigger need, but not much bigger. Yes, bench Ariza and make Jackson earn his minutes from whatever Bridges can't take advantage of.

As for Holmes, the problem is that the teams don't have to guard him. He is virtually useless on offense, and he doesn't really excel at anything defensively either.

I haven't seen a lot of him, but his defense was good against the Pelicans. And it's not like teams have to guard Ariza or Anderson either. I'd rather have someone who can hustle and looks like he cares than a guy stuck in second gear and clanking shots he "should" take.

But also, I'm not talking about making Holmes a starter or giving him major minutes, just seeing how he would work alongside Ayton for decent chunks of time. I could tell tonight that Kokoskov was hesitant to go back to Ayton in the fourth, because Holmes was helping the team hang in the game. As soon as Ayton went back in, the Pelicans went on a run and the game was over. What if Ayton had come in for Ariza instead? That's what I would have done.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2019 Free Agent power forwards who interest me.

1. Tobias Harris. He'd be the perfect stretch 4 next to Ayton
2. Julius Randle. He's a beast down low and is working on his outside shot.
3. Nikola Mirotic. Solid Stretch 4 that can get it done down low too.
4. Thaddeus Young. A scorer who reminds me of Tim Thomas. He's an improvement from what we have currently.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

4. Thaddeus Young. A scorer who reminds me of Tim Thomas. He's an improvement from what we have currently.
I was really hoping PHX would go after Randle but if he has a good year NO will lock him up long term unless they are not willing to give him the max and someone else is.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I was really hoping PHX would go after Randle but if he has a good year NO will lock him up long term unless they are not willing to give him the max and someone else is.
Yep, he should have been a target. He would have been the perfect PF playing next to Ayton. Maybe some of his will and effort would have rubbed off on Ayton.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Holmes played well tonight, and his game is different enough from Ayton's that I don't see why they can't be on the floor together. Surely Holmes would do a better job than Ariza or Anderson, even if it's for only 15 minutes per game.
I have been wondering that myself. We have had some diffulty rebounding. That would help a lot! Plus Holmes gets offensive rebounds.

I'd like to see Ayton, Booker, Holmes, TJ, and Okobo. I think that lineup is a good mix of defense and offense.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Problem is that Harris and Young are combo F's, while Randle's offensive profile is too close to Ayton's, IMO.

Mirotic's 3P-shooting is nice and he is a mobile defender but doesn't offer much toughness, interior defense, rim protection, help defense and secondary rebounding that the Suns desperately need.

The ideal backcourt partner for Ayton is either a Taj Gibson-type or a Lauri Markkanen-type of PF. Obviously, both are quite unrealistic to acquire in the foreseeable future.

Among those 4 above my pick is Mirotic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is that Harris and Young are combo F's, while Randle's offensive profile is too close to Ayton's, IMO.

Mirotic's 3P-shooting is nice and he is a mobile defender but doesn't offer much toughness, interior defense, rim protection, help defense and secondary rebounding that the Suns desperately need.

The ideal backcourt partner for Ayton is either a Taj Gibson-type or a Lauri Markkanen-type of PF. Obviously, both are quite unrealistic to acquire in the foreseeable future.

Among those 4 above my pick is Mirotic.

I don't you can miss with either Mirotic or Harris. My personal preference is Harris as he is a year younger and can play both forward positions. Also he is reportedly 15 pounds heavier.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am starting to think we have the perfect PF on our squad now. Ayton! Just grab a center. Play him and Holmes and see what happens. Why not? Bol Bol at Center, and Ayton at PF!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am starting to think we have the perfect PF on our squad now. Ayton! Just grab a center. Play him and Holmes and see what happens. Why not? Bol Bol at Center, and Ayton at PF!

I disagree, I'd rather keep Ayton close to the hoop on offense most of the time. What we need is a Dragan Bender that lives up to his pre-draft fantasized scouting reports. Somebody with an outside shot and the ability to switch, block shots and do the little things. IOW, not the real Dragan Bender.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I disagree, I'd rather keep Ayton close to the hoop on offense most of the time. What we need is a Dragan Bender that lives up to his pre-draft fantasized scouting reports. Somebody with an outside shot and the ability to switch, block shots and do the little things. IOW, not the real Dragan Bender.
I wish! LOL! I think BVender still has "potential" to be that guy. Probasbility, not high. That's why I am switching to getting a defensive Center to shot block and play defense against the Adams, etc. of the Center world. Let Ayton switch and guard the three point line on defense. Run the offense through him like now.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

He doesn't play close to the hoop now or at least he spends way too much time 18 feet out.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Gibson will be a free agent this summer also. He's in the last year of his deal in Minnesota and with everything happening there it wouldn't surprise me if he's gone at years end along with Coach Thibs. I think he would be a cheaper option than some of the others mentioned. He's making $14 million this year and something like that going forward is probably what he'll get. Harris, Randle, and Mirotic will probably command larger deals.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Julius Randle is the one I’d be interested in. Very underrated defender and plays physical inside.

Ayton can learn from him.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This team needs Zion or They should have signed Len and never signed Tyson. Could have should have I now see way Mcd was fired. My lord you can get a power forward from the G league better then anyone on the Suns roster. But no move by Jones. fudge Jones.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And I want to say this team is in tank mold already. Igor will lose the first 20 games by 20 points. next 20 by ten and then they say we are tanking so he saves his job. But I think Igor is in on all this and looks forward to better times.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but without losing anything we could just use Bender. Decent fundamental defense, long enough, quick enough on the perimeter. Not a knockdown 3pt shooter but enough to keep defenders honest while he's occupying one of the corners.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This team needs Zion or They should have signed Len and never signed Tyson. Could have should have I now see way Mcd was fired. My lord you can get a power forward from the G league better then anyone on the Suns roster. But no move by Jones. **** Jones.

It's funny you say that...Last night, Aaron Epps had a standout game. There's no real reason to think he's an NBA player, and his shot makes Shawn Marion's jumper look like Joe Johnson's jumper.

But I immediately asked myself if he would be the best power forward on the Suns roster.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson