Peyton Manning

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
If released should the Cardinals go after him. I say yes if kolb doesn't finish this season strong.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, though they'd have a lot of competition throughout the NFL.

But, why would the Colts release him?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is not getting released

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He will be traded, not released. And no, too much to give up to take a guy with 3 years left at best.

OP
OP
thephoenixson28

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
Colts would want a 1st for him(IMO) no one would want his contract and give up a 1st for him
If they draft luck I think out of respect for Manning he would be released. I think the colts wouldn't want to pay all that money. If unable to play

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no one would want his contract and give up a 1st for him
You're way off on that count, IMO. I think teams would offer more than a first. Hell, look what we gave up for an unproven player. Guys like Payton Manning don't come on the market everyday...in fact, he won't be on the market at all. This is all a fantasy on the part of every team other than the Colts.

They will not give Manning his walking papers (by trade or otherwise) in favor of an unproven kid. They just won't.

chickenhead

Reaction score
It won't be Unitas in a Chargers jersey exactly, because Manning still has some productive years left. But speaking of Unitas, towards the end he was more affiliated with the Ravens: the Colts have to know how valuable Peyton's post-retirement career may still be for them. He may end up in their organization, if not with personnel than in an executive capacity like Elway.

But I saw Montana in a Chiefs jersey, and the Niners owed him everything, so you never know...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He'd make whoever got him a 3-year contender. IMO, that's worth just about anything you could pay.

18 mil per season and having to give up at least a 1st round pick for a QB who has had 3 neck surgeries, and has not played in any games since to see how it responds?...very risky and not a great investment in your team's future.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
You're way off on that count, IMO. I think teams would offer more than a first. Hell, look what we gave up for an unproven player. Guys like Payton Manning don't come on the market everyday...in fact, he won't be on the market at all. This is all a fantasy on the part of every team other than the Colts.

They will not give Manning his walking papers (by trade or otherwise) in favor of an unproven kid. They just won't.

Bingo. Folks need to remember that there is a new CBA in place and the cost of the #1 pick has dropped drastically.

Manning will be on the team for at least another season

OP
OP
thephoenixson28

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
Bingo. Folks need to remember that there is a new CBA in place and the cost of the #1 pick has dropped drastically.

Manning will be on the team for at least another season
Why is that when the rookie pay scale is at a minimum.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
The Colts owe him a $26M payment in February. That is some serious coin. If they can't be relatively sure by that point if he will play, they might cut him. Who would trade for him at that point?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Colts owe him a $26M payment in February. That is some serious coin. If they can't be relatively sure by that point if he will play, they might cut him. Who would trade for him at that point?
Yes, IF he can't play it changes the equation. On that point I agree. I'm assuming he'll be good to go.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

That is why they will trade him before anyone can be sure how healthy he is. They will get less, but it will be much more than if he comes out and struggles.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of ASFN wager do you care to place on this? I'm really, really confident this won't happen this offseason.

I want in on that one. He stays put. Unless they trade him in the middle of the night, Irsay style.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could fire Whiz and just let Manning be a player/coach.

...I'm only half kidding.

Did you watch last week's game v. NE? Peyton said something to the Colts' offensive coordinator. When the coord didnt listen, Peyton gave him a look that said "what is wrong with you? Do you understand the words coming out of my mouth?"

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Great! Let's tie up more money in that position, even though I have serious doubts that a guy with a twice-operated-on neck will ever see the field again.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What kind of ASFN wager do you care to place on this? I'm really, really confident this won't happen this offseason.

Well, I have never made an ASFN wager before, PM some terms and I will consider it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Peyton is not traded in the off-season, we get to pick Chop's avatar.. If he is, he chooses for us. Loser(s) keep avatar for a month. Or whatever.