Peter King to Matt Leinart: Grow Up

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So he's upset with Leinart over the yahoo article that the reporter who wrote it doesn't remember what was said and has no recording of it?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Silver used to work for SI? That's why King said my old buddy?

FYI Schlereth again this morning said Warner should start because Leinart goes down for phantom sacks. He said "he folds up like oregami if someone gets anywhere near him." I only saw the one I pointed out last week but it appears that Schlereth has decided Matt is going to be his guy to attack for awhile so it ought to be interesting how long before Matt fires back at him.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

FYI Schlereth again this morning said Warner should start because Leinart goes down for phantom sacks. He said "he folds up like oregami if someone gets anywhere near him." I only saw the one I pointed out last week but it appears that Schlereth has decided Matt is going to be his guy to attack for awhile so it ought to be interesting how long before Matt fires back at him.

That's a f--king joke. I was actually commenting to my cousin (who is a die hard Seahags fan) during the first two games that Leinart stands very tall in the pocket and makes throws against intense pass rush. He did in Baltimore too. Its just that one play where IVY came at him and my opinion was he was avoiding a costly turnover.

Schlereth is your typical ESPN talking head who watches a highlight pack of the game then makes all encompassing statements like its the gospel.

Am I the only one that thinks Matt handles the rush a lot better then you thought he would when he never got hit at USC? One of my fav qualties he has shown is the willingness to take a hit and still deliver a throw. My biggest problem with ML is the zip on his passes but I think he will overcome that.

Schlereth doesnt know his a$$ from a hole in the ground....

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

That's a f--king joke. I was actually commenting to my cousin (who is a die hard Seahags fan) during the first two games that Leinart stands very tall in the pocket and makes throws against intense pass rush. He did in Baltimore too. Its just that one play where IVY came at him and my opinion was he was avoiding a costly turnover.

Schlereth is your typical ESPN talking head who watches a highlight pack of the game then makes all encompassing statements like its the gospel.

Am I the only one that thinks Matt handles the rush a lot better then you thought he would when he never got hit at USC? One of my fav qualties he has shown is the willingness to take a hit and still deliver a throw. My biggest problem with ML is the zip on his passes but I think he will overcome that.

Schlereth doesnt know his a$$ from a hole in the ground....

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
On page 5....The Curse!

I never knew about the controversy of the 1925 NFL Championship -- a controversy that lives today -- until former SI-turned-ESPN writer David Fleming's book The Breaker Boys (ESPN Books) showed up on my desk this fall. It's about one of the most colorful teams in history, the 1925 Pottsville Maroons. In the days before formal championship games, the teams with the best two records in the league sometimes met at the end of the season to determine the informal league champion. In 1925, that was the 10-1-1 Chicago Cardinals and the 9-2 Pottsville Maroons.

Fleming writes that the game was reported in sports pages as the NFL title game, and they met at Comiskey Park where, during an ice storm, Pottsville beat the Cardinals, 21-7. Because college football was the premier game and pro football was trying to catch up, Pottsville agreed to play a challenge match against Notre Dame before a big crowd in Philadelphia. Pottsville shocked the Irish, 9-7. A week later, the Frankford Yellow Jackets (the team that later became the Eagles) protested that the Maroons had played the ND game in their home territory, and the league suspended the Maroons from play -- though there was no written rule on the books preventing such an exhibition.

At the next league meeting, the NFL tried to award the title to the Cardinals, but the team refused to accept the tainted title, so an official league championship was never awarded. And Fleming writes:

"Cue the Bidwills. When they bought the Cardinals franchise in 1933 the Bidwills began to claim the 1925 championship as their own. And when the Pottsville Maroons petitioned the league [for the title] in 1963, Charles "Stormy" Bidwill Jr. wrote to sportswriter Red Smith poking fun of little Pottsville and saying his family had no intention of giving away their title ... In 2003, Dan Rooney, Jeffrey Lurie, Governor Ed Rendell and Pottsville Mayor John Reiley had come up with a solution that had then commissioner Paul Tagliabue's blessing: share the title. Tagliabue had even begun to make plans to come to Pottsville to give the town its title back. Instead, Rooney and Reiley say that Bill Bidwill used his influence behind the scenes to squash the Maroons petition. The owners never even discussed the case. They voted 30-2 against even talking about it. Bidwill has since refused numerous interview requests on the topic. "What's been done to this town and this team -- it's not right," says Rooney. "It needs to be fixed."

That's living history right there.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In the past Peter King has picked us to do well, this year the Cards are his whipping boys. I'm glad; he obviously doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
King's latest remarks:

Arizona Cardinals (2-2) at St. Louis Rams (0-4)

Good thing Arizona's on the road this week. At home, Matt Leinart would be the only one of 45 Cards to get booed. The fans are incensed that he'd be so selfish to be saying woe-is-me-for-being-platooned after the biggest win in recent franchise history. By the way, we're at the season's quarter pole, and St. Louis doesn't have a 40-yard pass play yet. How weird is that?

http://www.fannation.com/peter_king_challenge/pickoff

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't Peter King know what is going on?

Oh, because he's a hack.

Carry on.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Matt's been sacked, what, 3 times? Schlereth is taking that one play at BAL where he thinks Matt went down easy and is making it into something that happens every drive. Idiot.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt's been sacked, what, 3 times? Schlereth is taking that one play at BAL where he thinks Matt went down easy and is making it into something that happens every drive. Idiot.

I know, Schlereth is pissing me the f off with that bag of tricks. BTW, from other angles you can see that there was a lot more contact than it looked like...I was surprised...and the ball moved so Matt fell on it.

He's mentioned it no less than 4 times that I've seen...and I don't WATCH that crap. Every single time I've seen him on TV, he's talking about the phantom sack...

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what its worth I know most people on here really like Ron Jaworski and respect his opinion. Well he was on ESPN radio this morning with Doug Gottlieb and when asked about our QB situation Jaws flat out said that if Leinart said anything to a reporter such as reported. That Matt needs to SHUT UP and GROW UP.

He went onto say that after watching film of both QB's and studying it he feels that Leinart has ZERO room to complain and hasen't earned the right to complain/or start based on how his play is on the field. He stated that at this point in time Warner is clearly the better QB and that he is much more decisive and his decisiveness is why the offense opens up when he is on the field.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He stated that at this point in time Warner is clearly the better QB and that he is much more decisive and his decisiveness is why the offense opens up when he is on the field.

That's a simplistic view on it from a guy in Jaws that I really do respect. A big part of the offense opening up is also that it is 4WR and 5WR spreads, and that Kurt is possibly the greatest quarterback on the planet in a fast paced, quick hitting, snap and deliver spread offense like that. While his decisiveness is partly to credit for it, he also isn't running 2TE sets all the time either taking away all those options.

Did he not mention the offensive sets at all?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a simplistic view on it from a guy in Jaws that I really do respect. A big part of the offense opening up is also that it is 4WR and 5WR spreads, and that Kurt is possibly the greatest quarterback on the planet in a fast paced, quick hitting, snap and deliver spread offense like that. While his decisiveness is partly to credit for it, he also isn't running 2TE sets all the time either taking away all those options.

Did he not mention the offensive sets at all?

Yes he stated that the reason we run a non-spread O with Leinart is to protect him. Basically saying Matt is so antsy and indecisive that he is not capable of running. We open it up with Warner in his opinion is because of Matt's bad play.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes he stated that the reason we run a non-spread O with Leinart is to protect him. Basically saying Matt is so antsy and indecisive that he is not capable of running. We open it up with Warner in his opinion is because of Matt's bad play.

Don't "basically" it Shane. Matt has had no problems running out of the pocket, at all...he's done it several times now and it even looks like he learned how to slide, finally. Jaws wouldn't say that because the tape would prove him wrong.

And I disagree with Jaws on the reason we run a non-spread offense with Leinart...it is because the non-spread is our basic offensive package that Whis likes. Kurt is more of a risk back there and needing protection because he does NOT run and the book on him it to knock the hell out of him early...which is why it would be more scary to have Kurt in 2 TE sets and why he is great in snap and release spread sets.

I do agree with the last comment though. Matt's poor play (mostly matt, some on the drops by WRs) has had us bring in Kurt which is great because we get the best spread offense QB in the game to run the spread offense. If we didn't have Kurt back there though, we'd "ride or die" with Matt.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How dare a national writer criticize one of our players! He should be crucified, then keel-hauled if still alive.

Remember the mantra: There is no basis to any report, any suggestion, any rumor, any article, any radio interview by anyone that Matt Leinart has any imperfections or blemishes.

That is all.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How dare a national writer criticize one of our players! He should be crucified, then keel-hauled if still alive.

Remember the mantra: There is no basis to any report, any suggestion, any rumor, any article, any radio interview by anyone that Any Cardinal has any imperfections or blemishes.

That is all.

That's the spirit, Skkorp. However, I had to make one correction to what you wrote.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn