Per KK/ESPN: Kyler Murray "probably" won't be back to start 2023 season

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Looks like our chances of having Kyler back early aren't great. That's alarming for our coaching/GM search, alongside most hopes for next year. Does this make upgrading from Colt McCoy a priority in your opinions?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks like our chances of having Kyler back early aren't great. That's alarming for our coaching/GM search, alongside most hopes for next year. Does this make upgrading from Colt McCoy a priority in your opinions?
Maybe? I mean you can't go out and get another starting QB for the 5 or 6 games that he will likely miss. The situation is similar to Hopkins being suspended and using a 1st rounder on Hollywood.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Best case scenario Kyler attacks his rehab like his video games. He's then ready to start game 2 & Kliffy is canned on black Monday lol.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Maybe? I mean you can't go out and get another starting QB for the 5 or 6 games that he will likely miss. The situation is similar to Hopkins being suspended and using a 1st rounder on Hollywood.
Well, guys like Jacoby Brissett were effective in steering the ship this year. Same with say, Mike White, depending on if he goes back to the Jets or gets a starting offer. Colt's going to be 37 next year. Can't love the idea of him trying to salvage the start of the season at that age.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, guys like Jacoby Brissett were effective in steering the ship this year. Same with say, Mike White, depending on if he goes back to the Jets or gets a starting offer. Colt's going to be 37 next year. Can't love the idea of him trying to salvage the start of the season at that age.
Been saying Kyler wouldn’t be back until November and that’s what this organization should plan on. Brissett would be a good pick up imho.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hmm, I thought a few days after the injury it was reported that it was a clean ACL tear which was a good thing concerning the recovery time?

With his age and reputation for hitting the weight room, I feel like a 9-month rehab time is doable for him. I guess time will tell.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If things work from the neck up, and arms and legs are intact, I don't see Colt's age as particularly relevant.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Hmm, I thought a few days after the injury it was reported that it was a clean ACL tear which was a good thing concerning the recovery time?

With his age and reputation for hitting the weight room, I feel like a 9-month rehab time is doable for him. I guess time will tell.
I agree, like him or not, Kyler is a gym rat and could be back sooner than later.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
we need us some Uncle Rico.
Dude aint quite starter quality but youll never convince him of that.
Eagles offense isnt working for him... if they dont look to be cutting him, call and offer a 7th.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If things work from the neck up, and arms and legs are intact, I don't see Colt's age as particularly relevant.
QBs fall off pretty significantly around this age. Colt didn't really look all that great out there this season. He was never really known for his arm strength, and guys like Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, and even Russel Wilson are starting to look cooked.

SteveKeimFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Colt will be destroyed by week 3 in this system. Can't be in shotgun with no protection every down. Let's retire the Air Raid ...got some glimpses had some fun but no longevity in the NFL
We need a 6'6 QB with a big arm like Josh Allen

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is, the season starts in 8 months... and even with a flawless recovery, he'd need some time to get into game shape before starting.

...dave

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Yep. 2023 is a lost year. Best to accept it, get a GM/Coach in here that understands it, and build for 2024.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QBs fall off pretty significantly around this age. Colt didn't really look all that great out there this season. He was never really known for his arm strength, and guys like Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, and even Russel Wilson are starting to look cooked.

The other thing is if you're relying on Colt to get you through more than 2 games, you better have a backup you're ready to start because Colt's history is he's going to get hurt

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Matt Ryan come on down. The Cardinal way. Or Carr.

If the desire is to be competitive, Mike White will be a UFA.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Simple math would tell you he won't be ready to start at the beginning of the season. Even if he is "healthy enough to play" he won't be himself for quite some time.
This is what scares me the most. If anyone, he lives and dies by his plus agility. If he doesn't have it, he's going to get beat up and risk injury.

A large part of me doesn't want to see him until 2024.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who does "Uncle Rico" refer to? My quick search didn't show me much? Only some picture. So, whatever it refers to went way over my head.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who does "Uncle Rico" refer to? My quick search didn't show me much? Only some picture. So, whatever it refers to went way over my head.
It's from Napoleon Dynamite movie.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simple math would tell you he won't be ready to start at the beginning of the season. Even if he is "healthy enough to play" he won't be himself for quite some time.
He already wasn't that great when he was healthy this year so who knows what he'll be like next season and beyond.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson