Penalties

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have some interesting statistics regarding penalties that I will share...can't do it now as I am on my way to work. But the Reader's Digest version is that the team was so far the worst in that category, that if we cut that down to just the league average, we could have potentially won 2 or 3 more games.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I have some interesting statistics regarding penalties that I will share...can't do it now as I am on my way to work. But the Reader's Digest version is that the team was so far the worst in that category, that if we cut that down to just the league average, we could have potentially won 2 or 3 more games.

Sooooooooo letting Leonard Davis go on to become a pro-bowler with Dallas didn't solve the penalities issue?

IMO, a lot of the Cardinals problem in that area is having a very young undisciplined team with players like Daryl Blackstock, Antrel Rolle, and Leonard Pope committing a boatload of penalties. It would be interesting to see how many of the penalties were committed on special teams.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Sooooooooo letting Leonard Davis go on to become a pro-bowler with Dallas didn't solve the penalities issue?

IMO, a lot of the Cardinals problem in that area is having a very young undisciplined team with players like Daryl Blackstock, Antrel Rolle, and Leonard Pope committing a boatload of penalties. It would be interesting to see how many of the penalties were committed on special teams.

I dont think it was just the youngins that were at fault. We had a lot of veterans making the same penalty mistakes. Wilson, Dockett, Berry and his usual offsides once a game penalties, Wells, Gandy, Shipp all had their fair share of penalties as well. It was a team wide issue that cant be pointed at one specific group or another IMO.

If there was one thing that we could improve on this offseason that leads to more wins, I would pick penalties. More so then injuries, defense, or missed field goals.

OP
OP
lobo

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If there was one thing that we could improve on this offseason that leads to more wins, I would pick penalties. More so then injuries, defense, or missed field goals.

Thank you Joe. Wait until you see by how much we lead the league....you will be shocked....now I am REALLY late for work....I will post it late this pm

....note to the Leonard Davis cheerleader...give it up...howdya' like to have paid him and not be able to extend Fitz or the other guys who are deserving.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Nope. But it solved our overrated, under producing, looking for a 50 mil contract situation.

And he was one of 11 Cowboy All-pros, that included Roy Williams who is horrible.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score

I have to wonder how many years it will take for the LD cheerleaders to dry up?

We were one late hit penalty by Dockett away from the playoffs.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

We were one late hit penalty by Dockett away from the playoffs.

How do you know the Cardinals weren't one pro bowl guard away from the playoffs? :D

OP
OP
lobo

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Don't hold your breath...from a professional point of view these people have a very obsessive streak that won't go away...something like the Bidwill/Graves Suck disease.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I dont think it was just the youngins that were at fault. We had a lot of veterans making the same penalty mistakes. Wilson, Dockett, Berry and his usual offsides once a game penalties, Wells, Gandy, Shipp all had their fair share of penalties as well. It was a team wide issue that cant be pointed at one specific group or another IMO.

Is it any coincidence that the Cards late-season winning streak came at the same time as a dramatic reduction in penalties? I don't think so. Kurt Warner continually presses as a passer when he's looking at 2nd and long or 3rd and long.

If I were Whis, I'd be working on penalties and discipline first and foremost this offseason. Then worry about adding talent to the defense. Building special teams is a distant third concern.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Is it any coincidence that the Cards late-season winning streak came at the same time as a dramatic reduction in penalties? I don't think so. Kurt Warner continually presses as a passer when he's looking at 2nd and long or 3rd and long.

If I were Whis, I'd be working on penalties and discipline first and foremost this offseason. Then worry about adding talent to the defense. Building special teams is a distant third concern.

Thats also when we had most of our injuries as well. Yet we still were able to win more games the last half of the season.

Our seasons success or lack thereof (playoff wise) was way more due to our penalties then our injuries.

Hopefully with the new turf Wiz can get more work in instead of just moving to walkthrus inside. Wiz needs to crack some whips a little more this offseason. Last years training camp looked like the lamest and easiest one I have seen in my 10 years of going to Flagstaff for the weekend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lobo

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thats also when we had most of our injuries as well. Yet we still were able to win more games the last half of the season.

Our seasons success or lack thereof (playoff wise) was way more due to our penalties then our injuries.

Hopefully with the new turf Wiz can get more work in instead of just moving to walkthrus inside. Wiz needs to crack some whips a little more this offseason. Last years training camp looked like the lamest and easiest one I have seen in my 10 years of going to Flagstaff for the weekend.

I have a lot more stuff but no time to post now..BUT Cards had 137 penalties for 1128 yards...led both conf. the least....Seattle 59 penalties for 428 yards.

OP
OP
lobo

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

You are spot on!!! Just like it is no coincidence the LEAST penalized team won the conference..they only had 59 penalites for about 450 yards versus our 139 penalties for almost 1200 yards...we lead the league in that catagory.