Passengers

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The ending of the original script was more like this.

Here is a snippet from the article I previously posted:

As you might expect, the third act was where things changed the most for Passengers. The general idea is still there – the ship’s problems are caused by a stray meteor and things begin to tumble after a third person wakes up – but everything is more coherent in the original screenplay. For starters it’s better set up (the problems with the core computer are more fundamental and seeded throughout), which makes it feel less like a random turn made out of a studio’s fear of boredom. Gus (Fishburne) is also a much stronger character; we learn a lot more about his past (he’s been ferrying colonists for over 600 years) and the post-hibernation illness is highly prevalent, making his death a lot more impactful. Crucially, he doesn’t have time to address the ship’s problems, putting the onus of fixing it explicitly on Jim and Aurora after his death.

It’s thus the real disaster part that’s the most different, with things much more frantic, yet less visually resplendent (the change was likely to give a typically blockbuster finale). There’s none of Jim having to hold the reactor vent open with only a door he removed using the heat of a blow torch as a shield before being saved by Aurora in space (a scene overly reminiscent of Gravity). Instead, after Gus’ death the pair find the hole in the ship that almost pulls them out into space, nearly killing Jim (and not the later mission). The anti-grav malfunction on the ship comes as Jim recovers, much later than in the film, forcing the pair into a mad rush to fix the ship. There’s a greater explanation of what’s gone wrong with the mini-sun reactor too, and the main characters replace the computer more simply without real incident. However, the reset makes the ship’s computer think it’s docked and begins venting cryo pods, gradually dumping the 5000 other passengers into space. Jim and Aurora rush to stop it and save the captain, but fail; eventually they really are the only ones left on the ship. Like the film, the script comes to an end at Homestead II, but this time crowds of people come pouring out of the ship – Jim and Aurora’s descendants.

I was thinking similarly to you while watching the film. I actually thought they were going to get pregnant and then wake the midwife from her cryo pod. :)

Yeah I read that article that talked about the ending to the original. That's not a bad ending either. The only thing is how many descendants would there be? 80 years would be like what thier kids and then incest grand children?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah I read that article that talked about the ending to the original. That's not a bad ending either. The only thing is how many descendants would there be? 80 years would be like what thier kids and then incest grand children?
I dunno man...can get pretty boring floating out in space with nothing to do...

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The ending of the original script was more like this.

Here is a snippet from the article I previously posted:

As you might expect, the third act was where things changed the most for Passengers. The general idea is still there – the ship’s problems are caused by a stray meteor and things begin to tumble after a third person wakes up – but everything is more coherent in the original screenplay. For starters it’s better set up (the problems with the core computer are more fundamental and seeded throughout), which makes it feel less like a random turn made out of a studio’s fear of boredom. Gus (Fishburne) is also a much stronger character; we learn a lot more about his past (he’s been ferrying colonists for over 600 years) and the post-hibernation illness is highly prevalent, making his death a lot more impactful. Crucially, he doesn’t have time to address the ship’s problems, putting the onus of fixing it explicitly on Jim and Aurora after his death.

It’s thus the real disaster part that’s the most different, with things much more frantic, yet less visually resplendent (the change was likely to give a typically blockbuster finale). There’s none of Jim having to hold the reactor vent open with only a door he removed using the heat of a blow torch as a shield before being saved by Aurora in space (a scene overly reminiscent of Gravity). Instead, after Gus’ death the pair find the hole in the ship that almost pulls them out into space, nearly killing Jim (and not the later mission). The anti-grav malfunction on the ship comes as Jim recovers, much later than in the film, forcing the pair into a mad rush to fix the ship. There’s a greater explanation of what’s gone wrong with the mini-sun reactor too, and the main characters replace the computer more simply without real incident. However, the reset makes the ship’s computer think it’s docked and begins venting cryo pods, gradually dumping the 5000 other passengers into space. Jim and Aurora rush to stop it and save the captain, but fail; eventually they really are the only ones left on the ship. Like the film, the script comes to an end at Homestead II, but this time crowds of people come pouring out of the ship – Jim and Aurora’s descendants.

I was thinking similarly to you while watching the film. I actually thought they were going to get pregnant and then wake the midwife from her cryo pod. :)

Sorry I find that ending dumber than the one in the movie. It's dark, but that's about it.

Stout ruined this movie for me. If he ever goes on a 100year space journey, I hope he gets raped by Chris Pratt. :p

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I find that ending dumber than the one in the movie. It's dark, but that's about it.

Stout ruined this movie for me. If he ever goes on a 100year space journey, I hope he gets raped by Chris Pratt. :p

Yeah

I like Gus' story better with the info from the original script.

I am glad that it didn't go the way of the original ending, but I'd have been cool with their youngest child or children having been alive 70 or 80 years later (depending on when they were born, obviously).

I think a better ending would have been to have Pratt's character sacrifice himself and force her character to survive on her own and struggle with the decision to open someone's cryo pod or live a lonely life on her own.

Instead, it just had the typical/predictable Hollywood ending.

Basically, the movie shows that what Pratt did was fine, because - in the end - they lived happily ever after.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah

I like Gus' story better with the info from the original script.

I am glad that it didn't go the way of the original ending, but I'd have been cool with their youngest child or children having been alive 70 or 80 years later (depending on when they were born, obviously).

I think a better ending would have been to have Pratt's character sacrifice himself and force her character to survive on her own and struggle with the decision to open someone's cryo pod or live a lonely life on her own.

Instead, it just had the typical/predictable Hollywood ending.

Basically, the movie shows that what Pratt did was fine, because - in the end - they lived happily ever after.

Totally agree, that woulda been cool

Better than Steve Buscemi, I guess :D

ROFL! Responses like this are what make you so awesome Stout! haha

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok first of all this movie had nothing to do with RAPE in anyway shape or form. It entertained and was well acted and that was enough for me... The kids and I enjoyed it. They did flub the ending 1000%

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ok first of all this movie had nothing to do with RAPE in anyway shape or form. It entertained and was well acted and that was enough for me... The kids and I enjoyed it. They did flub the ending 1000%

Right. Everything in it, including the sex, was purely consensual, without any form of deceit.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. Everything in it, including the sex, was purely consensual, without any form of deceit.

Deceit =/= rape. It was still consensual. He just used the knowledge he gained from the ship's records, etc. to help woo her.

No doubt she felt manipulated once she found out, but his decision to wake her up was definitely more murder-y than rapey.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Deceit =/= rape. It was still consensual. He just used the knowledge he gained from the ship's records, etc. to help woo her.

No doubt she felt manipulated once she found out, but his decision to wake her up was definitely more murder-y than rapey.

Definitely murder-y, but if you think she only felt manipulated, you don't know women. Well, what man does, though? :D

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rented this from the library this week. Overall, it was ok.

I really thought I was going to like it more than I did.

I had read some of the criticisms of the movie and tried to just watch it for what it was - entertainment. I'd like to think I wouldn't do what Pratt's character did but I guess I won't truly know until I was in his exact situation. At least J Law's character had a choice at the end and she was free to choose which option she wanted.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched this on the plane ride back from Paris and enjoyed it. I agree that the last third of the movie was disappointing. Although the alternate ending that BIM posted was even worse IMO.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And an actual re-edit:

Reaction score

And an actual re-edit:

Awesome! The complete movie. I haven't seen it yet. Didn't know it was on youtube. I'll watch it tonight. Thanks for posting it.

Edit: I just noticed it's not a youtube video. How can I find it on my Roku?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The movie was nowhere near as bad as the reviews. Was it great? No but it was entertaining and had some cool visuals.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The ending suffers from a frequent movie problem: writer doesn't want to commit to an ending.

A. Happy ending
B. Sad Ending

Pick one. You CANNOT have both. And he tries to have both, and it just comes out as garbage.

spoiler:

So we have to go through the big dramatic "im sacrificing myself to save you" stuff with the door right? They say their goodbyes in the airlock. The expected "we have a problem, I have to stay" (But youll die!) standard BS. Thats fine.
But that **** better die. If you go thru all that, I want him dead AF. Instead, his space suit somehow survives nuclear incineration and is saved by girl in dramatic rescue, followed by happy ending. That was absolute F- awful. Commit to one or the other. Either he dies sacrificing himself, or write a different ending.

Ive seen this several times in movies lately. The other one that ruined the movie for me was "Wreck it Ralph". That one really disappointed me because I LOVED that scene. This was one of the best "sacrifice ending" scenes ive ever seen.

But he survives so instantly Its ruined and I hate it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ending suffers from a frequent movie problem: writer doesn't want to commit to an ending.

A. Happy ending
B. Sad Ending

Pick one. You CANNOT have both. And he tries to have both, and it just comes out as garbage.

spoiler:

So we have to go through the big dramatic "im sacrificing myself to save you" stuff with the door right? They say their goodbyes in the airlock. The expected "we have a problem, I have to stay" (But youll die!) standard BS. Thats fine.
But that **** better die. If you go thru all that, I want him dead AF. Instead, his space suit somehow survives nuclear incineration and is saved by girl in dramatic rescue, followed by happy ending. That was absolute F- awful. Commit to one or the other. Either he dies sacrificing himself, or write a different ending.

Ive seen this several times in movies lately. The other one that ruined the movie for me was "Wreck it Ralph". That one really disappointed me because I LOVED that scene. This was one of the best "sacrifice ending" scenes ive ever seen.

But he survives so instantly Its ruined and I hate it.

Yeah... not buying that was a writer issue. That's probably a STUDIO issue demanding the happy ending to a story that was probably much darker when initially written.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah... not buying that was a writer issue. That's probably a STUDIO issue demanding the happy ending to a story that was probably much darker when initially written.

Are you saying the studio raped the writer?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Saw this yesterday. It's weird because,,, ok disclaimer, I never watched a preview of this movie.

I am on a strict NO PREVIEWS policy now, I try to either arrive 15 mins late to every movie (one of the benefits of assigned seats) or I just close my eyes during previews. I'm just sick of trailers that spoil the entire damn movie! ok moving on

So having no idea what to expect, I really enjoyed this movie.

That being said, everyone I was with either said it was just ok or it was "nothing like they expected." I blame the previews. Some who saw the previews thought it was going to be this pulse pumping action film and others thought it was going to be a sweet love story. But it was neither. It was a psychological think film in space. What would you do? Could you do it? Could you live with yourself? Could you live with the lie? The guilt?

This is why I think I enjoyed it. I had no expectations at all. I knew who was in it and it was a space movie and that's it.

What I liked about it:
The whole development of Pratts character. I thought it was so interesting the dilemma he found himself in. What a total mind eff! You're alone on a desert island but you can bring someone there with you, but they'll be stranded too.

Easy enough to say no I would never do that to someone. Talk to me after you've been alone for a year or 2... Knowing you will die alone. Knowing that you could do this one thing and basically end your suffering...

I also loved Jlaws reaction to finding out. I thought it was totally realistic. It was murder, he 100% took her life, just in a non traditional way.

FInally, I loved the development of her character, as she realized more and more (as Pratt was going to do the vent thing and die) how he had felt and how horrible it would be to know you are trapped on that ship for the rest of your life....

Anyways, it wasn't a perfect movie, I thought the end was corny and kindof far fetched but whatever! I enjoyed it.

My friends. I strongly urge all of you to stop watching trailers. Hollywood now believes that we are all so incredibly stupid that we need to see every movie before we see it so they show every major plot point in the movies anymore. Because ALL of my friends and family who said; It was just ok. Had a better opinion after hearing my take, and my questions for them. Then they started thinking and that was IMO the point of the movie. Then they had a better opinion of it.

It's just the freakin trailers that make you think one thing and then disappoint you.

Dont do it! Or watch the first 10 seconds and if you think its something you want to see, quit watching!
I completely agree about not watching trailers. I'll watch them if I'm at the movies because it's part of the experience, but I never watch them at home.

Solid film. Enjoyed it more than most sci-fi films. It had its problems, but at least it was original.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I recently saw this film - had never heard anything about it before so I didn't come in with any preconceived notions.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Some people mentioned it was stalking/creepy but to me, it just seemed he was curious about her and smitten. I didn't find anything rapey about it either, but he definitely manipulated her.

My take away was: It's more important that a man has a companion so he doesn't feel "lonely" than a woman's right to live the life she wants.

Oh yeah, glad they didn't use the alt ending with all their descendants - creepy (can you say inbreeding?)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson