Painless 2013 Cards Salary Cap Moves

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly when they took Johnson allot of us where very happy with the pick,. He was a highly rated safety, when coming out of Alabama and we did not believe he would fall any further. Toler was a small school kid with tons of upside and proved it his 2nd year as a starter. Until last year Johnson has been ....awful really only a ST player. I am not ready to give him the reigns yet. Despite what many say, FS is the hardest position to play in the defensive backfield and Rhodes does a very good job back there. Do not assume we can find his replacement so easily.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm merely saying that they have hopes for Bethel beyond special teams, and I do want to retain both Johnson and Toler, at this point. We sometimes forget that they were all part of a good back end last season.

REINS as in horse reins.

(The Queen reigns)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I dunno what the depth chart says, and I don't really care. Kerry Rhodes tended to take over Wilson's responsibilities when he went out or two the bench, and Johnson tended to play more of a center field role.

I think that depending on Bethel to be anything more than a very good special teamer is a fool's errand. If he becomes a defensive back who can see the field, that's a great bonus, but I don't think you can plan for him to eventually become a starter or anything.

Put him on the Steve Breaston plan.

Well if that is the case then I don't see a reason to spend more than maybe 1.5 mil on Rashad Johnson, especially if we will running a more traditional FS/SS setup.

I could see the Cardinals looking to add a SS in the draft then unless they plan to extend Kerry Rhodes and move him to SS to replace Adrian Wilson in the future.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
DC's restructure bonus is still eating away at me. We really have to pay that stiff 7m to go away? Spotrac says only 3m if cut before 6/1...

No, we don't have to pay him $6.825M to "go away"; we just have to account for that money that we paid him (singing bonus + restructure bonus) once he's off the roster.

I don't know why you're mad at him. The Cards made the offer last offseason when the needed 2012 cap money.

If Colledge is designated a June 1 cut, we have to carry his full cap charge, plus pay him a $1M roster bonus, to that June 1 date, and then we pay the balance over two offseasons, instead of one.

If we had a better option out there, we could cut him, but then you have to decide whether you can sign another starting-caliber guard for $450K.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Starting to think we cut bait with Kolb and draft a QB at #38. Maybe bring in Stanton on the cheap... Bradley and Doucet are goners but we need to eat Colledge's contract cause it clears us in 2014 (along with Kolb). Fitz and Cambell blow up for almost 30m so salary needs to be cleared after next season. Might as well do it now.

I think it is time to bite the bullet and cut Kolb. He is what he is and continuing to mess around with him will not help us in the long run. It will cost us money if we cut him but when you make bad decisions up front it is going to cost you money one way or the other. 7 years and a lot of head injuries should be enough to tell us not to continue this charade of pretending Kolb will be something he will not be. In any event we are not going to win our division this year so now is the time to take our losses not 2 or 3 years from now when we just might be in a position to compete with SF and the Seahawks.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/

How do the 49ers manage this? Look at all that guaranteed money! Eleven guys over $10 million. We've got 5.

They did some savvy deals in the uncapped year, I think. Also, they just do a really good job signing only value free agents and putting them in a position to succeed. The question is whether the 2nd generation of draftees will be able to replace the ones who are going to have to leave.

Joe Staley got a 6 year contract extension in 2009 for only $28 million. He was in the same draft class as Levi Brown. :bang:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
They did some savvy deals in the uncapped year, I think. Also, they just do a really good job signing only value free agents and putting them in a position to succeed. The question is whether the 2nd generation of draftees will be able to replace the ones who are going to have to leave.

Joe Staley got a 6 year contract extension in 2009 for only $28 million. He was in the same draft class as Levi Brown. :bang:

Thanks. Also that's a lot of cash outlay. Where do they get the money? Is it spread out?

Can you believe the new contract they gave Bowmann? 25 million guaranteed. That's $54 million in guaranteed money just for him and Willis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Thanks. Also that's a lot of cash outlay. Where do they get the money?

Lots and lots of jerseys. Probably don't have to finance a ton of money on their crappy stadium. Even during the bad times, they never had blackouts when I was living in Davis.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
No, we don't have to pay him $6.825M to "go away"; we just have to account for that money that we paid him (singing bonus + restructure bonus) once he's off the roster.

I don't know why you're mad at him. The Cards made the offer last offseason when the needed 2012 cap money.

If Colledge is designated a June 1 cut, we have to carry his full cap charge, plus pay him a $1M roster bonus, to that June 1 date, and then we pay the balance over two offseasons, instead of one.

If we had a better option out there, we could cut him, but then you have to decide whether you can sign another starting-caliber guard for $450K.

Right, he's making that 6-7m whether he's on the roster or cut is what I'm meant. I'm not mad at the player, it's the FO... By all means should Colledge have taken that deal. Spotrac was different but this made it clear for me, thx.

Time to eat the money and cut ties. Not very efficient but necessary going forward.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Thanks. Also that's a lot of cash outlay. Where do they get the money? Is it spread out?

Can you believe the new contract they gave Bowmann? 25 million guaranteed. That's $54 million in guaranteed money just for him and Willis.

Well worth it. Willis made 17m last year while Bowman was still on his rookie deal. Willis only makes 3m this season while Bowman gets a fat raise. They did a nice job with both guys. I still think they cut Smith since they're up against the cap.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Right, he's making that 6-7m whether he's on the roster or cut is what I'm meant. I'm not mad at the player, it's the FO... By all means should Colledge have taken that deal. Spotrac was different but this made it clear for me, thx.

Time to eat the money and cut ties. Not very efficient but necessary going forward.

He's already been paid the money--in the form of signing and re-structure bonus. It's not guaranteed money--which would be offset if he worked with another team.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He's already been paid the money--in the form of signing and re-structure bonus. It's not guaranteed money--which would be offset if he worked with another team.

Just regarding his cap hit for this coming season it'd be 6-7m to "go away". Same thing if he didn't get basically. That was my original question about his 2013 cap hit.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort