Pac-10 Conference Tournament

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
UW got their #1 seed. Actually if you look at it on paper, their resume was just as impressive as Wake Forest.

Cats got a tough draw. I'd be shocked if they made it past the Sweet 16 and I say it's about 50/50 they even make it out of Boise.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Sorry Russ, but it looks like you better be praying come Selection Sunday (I think you're still in). But how happy are you Brian Morrison has exhausted his eligibility?

Told you they beat us once and nearly beat us the 2nd time regular season. UCLCA is a tired team, the rest will help. Yeah morrison drives all Bruins fans nuts.

Still a bit stunned UW wound up with a #1 seed and UCLA dropped all the way to 11 against Bobby Knight but I can take it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Still a bit stunned UW wound up with a #1 seed and UCLA dropped all the way to 11 against Bobby Knight but I can take it.

UW is a pretty crazy #1 seed. Looks like the comittee didn't ignore the goofy RPI conference rankings after all.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
UW is a pretty crazy #1 seed. Looks like the comittee didn't ignore the goofy RPI conference rankings after all.

Who else would you put #1? And why?

Wake Forest? Third best in conference, not very impressive down the stretch
Kentucky? Would have been #1, got blown out by a only decent Florida team
Okla St? Probably the team with the most legitimate claim, but UW has an equal impressive resume.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:

Okla St? Probably the team with the most legitimate claim, but UW has an equal impressive resume.

I thought all of those teams you listed were more deserving. I also would include Syracuse and Connecticut as more deserving too. After Arizona, how does the PAC 10 match up, team by team, with the ACC, SEC, Big 12 and Big East? Pretty damn poorly, IMO.

Actually, there are not that many dominant teams this year so I do understand to a point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:

UW is VERY good, I said myself I think they can make the 8 and maybe the 4 if things go right.

But looking at their schedule looking at big wins they have Utah, Oklahoma and Alabama(all at home) in close games. They lost to Gonzaga(road game), close wins over LMU and NC State, lost to UCLA (blew a huge lead), got blown out by 17 against Oregon State, and lost by 10 at Stanford AFTER Grunfeld got hurt.

So they are a great team but I guess I'm just seeing most of the big wins balance out with surprising losses. I just didn't have them pegged a #1 seed I thought #2 at best. They haven't gone on the road and beaten a good team but I guess you can probably say that about just about anybody this year.

Of course I had no idea how close UCLA was to not making it after the OSU loss, if you realize many of the 12-16 seeds are automatic bid winners, being an 11 seed is pretty hairy. I thought they'd get about an 8-9 even with the stinker to OSU in the tourney.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
UW is VERY good, I said myself I think they can make the 8 and maybe the 4 if things go right.

But looking at their schedule looking at big wins they have Utah, Oklahoma and Alabama(all at home) in close games. They lost to Gonzaga(road game), close wins over LMU and NC State, lost to UCLA (blew a huge lead), got blown out by 17 against Oregon State, and lost by 10 at Stanford AFTER Grunfeld got hurt.

So they are a great team but I guess I'm just seeing most of the big wins balance out with surprising losses. I just didn't have them pegged a #1 seed I thought #2 at best. They haven't gone on the road and beaten a good team but I guess you can probably say that about just about anybody this year.

Of course I had no idea how close UCLA was to not making it after the OSU loss, if you realize many of the 12-16 seeds are automatic bid winners, being an 11 seed is pretty hairy. I thought they'd get about an 8-9 even with the stinker to OSU in the tourney.

I was very glad Howland and the Bruins made it - good luck against Booby Nite.

UW's wins against Alabama, Utah and Oklahoma were neutral court, I believe (in Alaska).

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
UW's performance on neutral courts got them the #1 seed. The committee loves teams who play well in those situations as it's comparable to tournament conditions.

UW got a tough draw though. The Huskies have no size and they have a potential 2nd round matchup with Pitt and their outstanding frontcourt of Chevy Troutman and Chris Taft.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Draws are tough, but for all the people playing down the Pac-10 (including fans that go to the schools), there is still a good chance we could have multiple Pac teams go deep in the tournament. The Cats are made for March Madness--moreso than the Conference Tournament, which, like Lute, I don't take all that much stock in--although this year if we won, we would have easily gotten the #1 seed. I'm not too unhappy with the #3, but there appears to be tough draws across the board this year--which should make for some exciting games.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
I was very glad Howland and the Bruins made it - good luck against Booby Nite.

UW's wins against Alabama, Utah and Oklahoma were neutral court, I believe (in Alaska).

Sorry you're right, I looked again and it was in the tournament.

I figure UCLA has some motivation, Knight has been quite outspoken over the years about not considering Wooden's record as impressive because of Sam Gilbert and "cheating". He's never come out and said Wooden cheated but he's well known to think very little of UCLA. I'd be expecting Howland to use it as motivation.

They have a great backcourt but no frontcourt so it should be a matchup of 2 teams with no great bigmen. I have UCLA losing to Gonzaga in round 2 but it wouldn't surprise me at all if TT knocks us off.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think UCLA-Tech is one of the hardest games to pick in round 1. Both can be pretty good or pretty bad on a given nignt. I can see close wins or blowouts either way.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I think UCLA-Tech is one of the hardest games to pick in round 1. Both can be pretty good or pretty bad on a given nignt. I can see close wins or blowouts either way.

The key is taking care of the ball, Knight's teams don't turn the ball over. UCLA has had huge TO issues this year, when they handle the ball they usually win or at least play well, when they get in trouble it's usually turnovers.

The only reason I picked UCLA over Tech is, and it's just a gut feeling, but Dijon Thompson is due a big game. Since the 39 point game against ASU he's only topped 20 twice and only shot 50% twice(not the same 2 games). I just read on a UCLA board he's 48-118 40% since the ASU game, his 3 point shot, even his Freethrows have been off. Not sure if the hand injury(tore the webbing on his hand twice) is flaring up, if he's tired, or just in a shooting slump. But I sort of expect the rest to give him one big game.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Im taking Pacific over UW in round 2. Just a hunch. The Huskies arent under the radar, they havent played with this kind of pressure in my lifetime, and I dont think they'll fare well under it. Its a great stepping stone for them, but I think they bow out to a solid Pacific squad, with nothing to lose.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
schutd said:
Im taking Pacific over UW in round 2. Just a hunch. The Huskies arent under the radar, they havent played with this kind of pressure in my lifetime, and I dont think they'll fare well under it. Its a great stepping stone for them, but I think they bow out to a solid Pacific squad, with nothing to lose.

Pacific won't beat Pitt. Then, Pitt could beat Washington and it's really not much of a stretch.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
schutd said:
Say again?

Unfortunately, the only time I saw Pacific play was in their last game against Utah St. and they got wiped off the floor.

Apparently, it meant squat for today! :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort