Oversimplification

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I just saw an article on the Cards’ site saying, offense not defense wins championships. I’ll tell you what wins championships; outscoring your opponents. Right now teams are rushing to build great offenses but I assure you great defenses can still win championships if only accompanied by decent offenses. Scoring is fun for fans but contrarian thinking often leads to success.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I just saw an article on the Cards’ site saying, offense not defense wins championships. I’ll tell you what wins championships; outscoring your opponents. Right now teams are rushing to build great offenses but I assure you great defenses can still win championships if only accompanied by decent offenses. Scoring is fun for fans but contrarian thinking often leads to success.

100% agreed.

I watch the Penguins in hockey, and can tell you right now, that without defense, you are not going to win a championship. I have seen it time and time again. Their best offensive teams didn't sniff a championship, it was the well rounded teams that won it all.

It is getting the right players in the right system.

Looking forward towards the NFL playoffs, if the Chiefs can get Eric Berry on the field, and teams "forget" about Justin Houston and Dee Ford, they are going to be in trouble. Especially Justin Houston, that guy is a game wrecker.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% agreed.

I watch the Penguins in hockey, and can tell you right now, that without defense, you are not going to win a championship. I have seen it time and time again. Their best offensive teams didn't sniff a championship, it was the well rounded teams that won it all.

It is getting the right players in the right system.

Looking forward towards the NFL playoffs, if the Chiefs can get Eric Berry on the field, and teams "forget" about Justin Houston and Dee Ford, they are going to be in trouble. Especially Justin Houston, that guy is a game wrecker.

I think we are chatting about football :D

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
offense wins games; Defense wins championships

an old saying but still true. Yes you need to score but if you cant stop the other team they will just score more. we have even seen it in the playoffs...teams who made it there based on strong offenses have been winning in the playoffs due to strong defense. when the pressure is on defenses need to be able to shut down the run and force their opponent into being one dimensional. If not the opponent will keep them on their heals and just stack points....a balanced team is always the best asset IMO.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The top 6 defences are out of the playoffs.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Being a long time Cards season ticket holder, I do like to see some points which they didn't this year. Yeah defense is important but it really sucks and is boring when they are always 3 and out when they get the ball.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually I heard a very interesting breakdown of the games this weekend.

First off the final 4 teams are the teams that rank 1,2,3,4 in offense - so I don't think that should be ignored. That does not happen by accident.

But more importantly the teams that won, dominated in running the ball. For all four games it was like one team had 100 yds rushing more than the other. So I think it is really not so much about offense as a whole or defense as a whole - but the most important thing is being able to win the line of scrimmage.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a great offense you always have a chance. The Chiefs saints rams and pats have a way of turning their opponents into a 1 dimensional team when they find themselves down by 17,21and 24 pts. Offense win games.....right now I’ll settle for that.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The 4 teams that are left for the AFC/NFC championship games are the highest scoring teams in the entire NFL.

Patriots
Chiefs
Rams
Saints

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Defense used to win championships until the rules committee decided to make it near impossible for defenses to defend. I mean, look at the recent rule changes:

Defenses can no longer hit a receiver especially if they're in what the officials would consider a vulnerable position, whether or not they have the ball.
Defenses have to watch how they hit ball carriers coming across the line.
Defenses have to watch how they rush the QB. Hit a QB 1/2 second after they pass the ball(especially if that QB is named Tom Brady), and you will be flagged for roughing.
Defenses have to watch how they approach a running QB. A QB can be running down field with a head of steam and a defender can be going for the tackle and if that QB decides to go into his slide at the same time, that defender will be flagged if they touch said QB.

There are more examples but I believe what I have said is accurate, albeit somewhat snarky.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This year appears to be an anomaly if that is the case. As Southpaw said, the top four offenses are the only teams left.
What you really need to be is A) excellent on one side of the ball, and B) adequate or better on the other.
The Greatest teams of all time were excellent on both sides, for a year or two, but your general Super Bowl winners are great on one side.

The Rams defense seemed to be the best, to start the year, but has suffered with injuries, and their offense has fallen off a tick.
The Saints have a great offense along with a stout run defense, but can be passed against.
The Chiefs have the best offense, but like D'Antoni's Suns, more scores means more opponent opportunities as well, and a weaker statistical defense.
The Patriots are talented and balanced, but it all depends on Brady. Very journeymanlike roster without him.

Blah, blah.....any one of these teams could easily win.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They keep changing the rules to help the offense which is why the top 4 offenses are still playing now.

It will eventually change, it's a cycle, but going for offense is just going with the flow.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Peyton Manning got his second ring thanks to his defense. He was TERRIBLE against CAR. But that was a few years ago, NFL is shifting its focus to keep fans entertained with high scoring games as many here have already mentioned. This is why ARZ needs to improve that secondary and add another pass rusher to defend against the Rams next year.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree with you, defense can still win championships but the way the league is trending right now, I'll settle for scoring 30-40 points/game with an attacking defense that will bend but not break, create turnovers even if it gives up some yardage & a few big plays. Is that too much to ask for lol? I read that same article you did BTW.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Patriots are talented and balanced, but it all depends on Brady. Very journeymanlike roster without him.
I disagree with this. Yes it's not a very large sample size but the Patriots did win 11 games the one year Brady was injured and did so with Matt Cassell.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I understand what Harry is saying and normally I'd agree with it but I think those who say it's the rules changes are right and on top of that I think this is a trend that is going to stick forever.

The fans like it so they'll just keep getting more and more of it, after all it is just entertainment.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I understand what Harry is saying and normally I'd agree with it but I think those who say it's the rules changes are right and on top of that I think this is a trend that is going to stick forever.

The fans like it so they'll just keep getting more and more of it, after all it is just entertainment.
I think you are right, today only a handfull knows to appriciate a good D or a low scoring game, we had a handfull in the last years and everyone wasn't excited because of it.

TD make a nicer real, it looks nicer and it is better to post 30-37 Scores than 10-14 scores.

Overall this change started in the college ranks and sooner or later it hat to transfer to the NFL.

Yes maybe one or two D can stop the top notch offenses but not many will do so. At the end maybe the bend but don't break D with good ST play will be the ones that come out on top, who knows. At the moment the pendulum swings to the O side of the ball and it only started this year. We will see how it looks in two or three years.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you are right, today only a handfull knows to appriciate a good D or a low scoring game, we had a handfull in the last years and everyone wasn't excited because of it.

TD make a nicer real, it looks nicer and it is better to post 30-37 Scores than 10-14 scores.

Overall this change started in the college ranks and sooner or later it hat to transfer to the NFL.

Yes maybe one or two D can stop the top notch offenses but not many will do so. At the end maybe the bend but don't break D with good ST play will be the ones that come out on top, who knows. At the moment the pendulum swings to the O side of the ball and it only started this year. We will see how it looks in two or three years.
I prefer to see 2 teams duke it out play by play and matchup by matchup; let overall team performance, luck etc. determine the winner...& let the stats fall as they may, for interpretation later on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose