Our problems exist because of Kingsbury

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The constant delay of game penalties are all on Murray. The mic gets shutoff 15 seconds before the play clock runs out. Murray has 15 seconds to get the offense setup run the play. There is no reason in the world not to get the play ran in that amount of time. I sometimes get the feeling that Murray doesn't like the play called in and wants to run a different play which results in these delays.

This is all true.

There was maybe one, with a late substitution that delayed Kyler, but nearly all these are on him. Not Kliff.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kliff regressed more than Kyler in the last 9 games.

Second half Panthers play calling was the best I could remember from Kliff since the Dallas game last year. Just like Kyler, you could see Kliff potential. It may never materialize just like Kyler talents. We will see...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like if you hire a young rookie head coach you have to be willing to let them grow, just like a rookie player. From that perspective i try and be patient because kliff is likable and seems smart/articulate…

So in a way i give MB and SK some credit for the commitment…but my patience is thin as well…

But it's year 4 and he's doing the exact same stuff with the sub issues and other things.

I mean it's 4 games but the OC for the Lions is Ben Johnson, not the ex sprinter, and he's 36 and it's his first year as a coordinator. 4 games 35, 36, 24 and 45 points. The 45, against a bad team, came with his top 2 WR's out and his top RB out.

Point being offensive genius shows itself pretty early in the NFL, Kliff had a run last year where we looked like he might be an offensive genius but that was year 3 and its' been shown to be fools gold. Maybe Detroit will be too but it's an example of how not asking more of Kliff by year 4 is a mistake IMO.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The constant delay of game penalties are all on Murray. The mic gets shutoff 15 seconds before the play clock runs out. Murray has 15 seconds to get the offense setup run the play. There is no reason in the world not to get the play ran in that amount of time. I sometimes get the feeling that Murray doesn't like the play called in and wants to run a different play which results in these delays.

Some of them yes but many of them it's because Kliff is subbing in late and if you sub in late the refs hold the snap up to let the defense sub. That happens 3-4 times a game and Kliff stil lhas the look that he doesn't understand that rule.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some of them yes but many of them it's because Kliff is subbing in late and if you sub in late the refs hold the snap up to let the defense sub. That happens 3-4 times a game and Kliff stil lhas the look that he doesn't understand that rule.

Kliff ain't handling personnel packages. That's handled by the position coaches.

At best we can say it's his fault for not having an OC, but then I'd imagine he's delegated the oversight of this.

I think James Saxon's suspension is being overlooked too. Generally speaking. Apart from it having an effect on the running game it's one less senior person on the sideline to handle things.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kliff ain't handling personnel packages. That's handled by the position coaches.

At best we can say it's his fault for not having an OC, but then I'd imagine he's delegated the oversight of this.

I think James Saxon's suspension is being overlooked too. Generally speaking. Apart from it having an effect on the running game it's one less senior person on the sideline to handle things.

he's the HC and the play caller so yeah he's responsible for personnel.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler actions in the game were implying that he wasn't getting a play to him before the mic gets shut off. You could see he was visibly mad at Kliff giving him the 'hurry up' motion over and over again.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
You just know there are really good head coaching prospects, young and old, out there just scratching their heads wondering how KK is a head coach and they are not. I know the guy is trying, but it is so familiar to me after 73 years seeing unqualified people in top positions in all professions. It is amazing how an inflated reputation can follow someone from job to job even though in observing them closely one can easily see how inept they are and lacking in the skills necessary to perform their job successfully.

The worst thing is being in any position next to or under such a person. Nothing is more true than what a friend's dad told me when I was a young athlete, "Play with bums and you will look like a bum." You have to disassociate yourself as quickly as possible from these people if you ever want to succeed and be recognized for your own true talent.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler actions in the game were implying that he wasn't getting a play to him before the mic gets shut off. You could see he was visibly mad at Kliff giving him the 'hurry up' motion over and over again.

Yeah maybe that one.

90% of these delay of game time outs the team is lined up and Kyler just doesn't snap the ball.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah maybe that one.

90% of these delay of game time outs the team is lined up and Kyler just doesn't snap the ball.
I said over and over again. It happened multiple times last game and we really have no way of knowing overall how many were due to the play not getting to Kyler in time.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said over and over again. It happened multiple times last game and we really have no way of knowing overall how many were due to the play not getting to Kyler in time.

If your lined up and Kyler is caught staring into space they play has been in for at least 15 seconds

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is all true.

There was maybe one, with a late substitution that delayed Kyler, but nearly all these are on him. Not Kliff.
What was up with the delay of game near the end of the game where the official was standing behind the center as the clock expired?

OmahaCardsFan

Veteran
Reaction score
I remember BA (ole' Bruce Arians) used to say he was always 3 plays ahead and had a path based on down and distance ready to go the second the play ended and ball was marked. So he had play 2 already tee'd up. same for play 3 and so on. Sounds like Kliffy hasn't learned that yet after 3+ years. Instead, he runs a play then looks at his sheet and takes 10 secs to think about play 2, then communicates, then watches kyler struggle to get the play off with 1 sec left. Now image what pressure that puts on Kyler in a hurry up when you can't hurry up because you don't have plays 2 and 3 ready. There definitely is an art to efficient play calling and Kliffy ain't it. I'm wondering if kyler calling his own plays at the line of scrimmage might just work better? :). Also worth mentioning is that every play call has variants associated with it that could turn a pass in to a run or a run into pass, etc.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incorrect. Late substitutions are the issue.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What was up with the delay of game near the end of the game where the official was standing behind the center as the clock expired?
Late substitutes the ref will stand there and not let ball be snapped until they are ready…

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah maybe that one.

It happened two times yesterday and both times Kyler could not snap the ball because the referee was standing there with his hand up due to late substitutes from Kliff.

2/2 were Kliff's fault and you say it's 90% Kyler.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The only response I have to this thread is: well…du-uh. :thewave:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose