Had a few bad dreams where obure signed with lakees spurs etc

Obure was probably suns 2nd best all round player other than booker

Hoping to see some improvement in wins with ayton booker obure

Sarver did something right once!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardsSunsDbacks hit on it already, that isn't an overpay. If he were an unrestricted free agent then yes, it would be an overpay because no one else could offer him that amount and no one else did but having the right to match scares teams off. They don't want to throw big money at RFA because it ties up their money that they could be using to sign someone else outright.

There wasn't a team left with that sort of money available but if a team truly thought they could get him to sign and we wouldn't match a deal over $15 million a year then someone would have made space to sign him.

Harrison Barnes got a contract paying him $85 million over 4 years, Bojan Bogdanovich got $73 million over 4 years, and if Oubre was unrestricted I think he would have got somewhere in between those 2 deals. Something like $75-80 over 4 years. A 4 year deal starting at $15 million with 8% raises, which is what a retaining team can offer, would have given him $67.7 million over 4 years and if they managed to lock him down for that I would have been very happy with it but I think Oubre was pushing for more money overall if he was going to commit for that long.

I think Barnes and Oubre are comparable but Barnes has been around a little longer and is more of a proven commodity than Oubre but I would rather pay Oubre that money than Bogdanovich.

Although not comparable in terms of position, even Rubio was paid more per season. How I wish the Suns had gotten that third or fourth season but this was likely a sticking point.

iVAN

Reaction score
CardsSunsDbacks hit on it already, that isn't an overpay. If he were an unrestricted free agent then yes, it would be an overpay because no one else could offer him that amount and no one else did but having the right to match scares teams off. They don't want to throw big money at RFA because it ties up their money that they could be using to sign someone else outright.

There wasn't a team left with that sort of money available but if a team truly thought they could get him to sign and we wouldn't match a deal over $15 million a year then someone would have made space to sign him.

Harrison Barnes got a contract paying him $85 million over 4 years, Bojan Bogdanovich got $73 million over 4 years, and if Oubre was unrestricted I think he would have got somewhere in between those 2 deals. Something like $75-80 over 4 years. A 4 year deal starting at $15 million with 8% raises, which is what a retaining team can offer, would have given him $67.7 million over 4 years and if they managed to lock him down for that I would have been very happy with it but I think Oubre was pushing for more money overall if he was going to commit for that long.

I think Barnes and Oubre are comparable but Barnes has been around a little longer and is more of a proven commodity than Oubre but I would rather pay Oubre that money than Bogdanovich.

Bojan is a much better player that Oubre. He's a good shooter in shooters league and underrated defensively. All Oubre has on him is potential. I assure you that a good franchise like Utah Jazz didn't even bother looking at Oubre over Bojan.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Another thing to consider, if everything goes according to plan with Ayton and Booker, the Suns should be a destination point for free agents in two years.

It’s true. There’s a chance Oubre will leave for more $ than we would have paid him, and it creates room to sign someone for more money than that. And everyone is fine.

But I’m glad he’s here for two more.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
While Oubre's been hangin with the Boyz in Miami this summer Bridges has been in the weight room and the gym. If he's coming off the bench for 25 minutes a game behind Booker and Bridges season after next he's not getting more than 15 a year in free agency.
Are you suggesting that Oubre hasn't been in the gym as well? Seems like a complete assumption that really isn't backed up by anything.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that Oubre hasn't been in the gym as well? Seems like a complete assumption that really isn't backed up by anything.
I think he's just referring to the fact that per reports bridges has been there everyday and has been an incredibly hard worker this off-season , not that oubre is working out or anything just not to the extent bridges seems to be

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think he's just referring to the fact that per reports bridges has been there everyday and has been an incredibly hard worker this off-season , not that oubre is working out or anything just not to the extent bridges seems to be
Well I mean Oubre is apparently out of town, but that certainly doesn't mean he hasn't been busting his ass wherever he is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How does that make it an overpay? By the same logic I suppose you could argue that Oubre has zero value as he wasn't offered a contract from anyone else.

Ultimately your value is set by how much similar level players are getting paid and in comparison to the other players around his caliber 15m/year is pretty close.
Uh that’s just not true. Those other contracts may be benchmarks for gauging goals or offers, but they do not set individual market value. What actually occurs in the open marketplace sets individual market value.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Uh that’s just not true. Those other contracts may be benchmarks for gauging goals or offers, but they do not set individual market value. What actually occurs in the open marketplace sets individual market value.
That is oversimplified as well. If this were the case than Oubre would have no value whatsoever as no one was knocking on his door to sign him. The truth is that both things play a role in setting a player's value, but team's not having the money to tie up in a waiting game on a restricted free agent does not mean that the RFA's value is low.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's as if though the Suns are a real NBA team again.

That's why I don't understand the handwringing of the offseason.

To get a star, the Suns would've been sacrificing depth, and the Suns still probably wouldnt be ready to win yet.

The Suns added quite a bit of real depth and a starting PG. This is a solid offseason, and the chances of adding a star has increased dramatically. The Suns conceivably could trade TJ, Oubre and picks for a star, and that wouldnt be a bad package.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That is oversimplified as well. If this were the case than Oubre would have no value whatsoever as no one was knocking on his door to sign him. The truth is that both things play a role in setting a player's value, but team's not having the money to tie up in a waiting game on a restricted free agent does not mean that the RFA's value is low.
No. The phrase “market value” is definitely determinable. At any given point in time value is exactly what the market dictates. If there are no dollars left, there are no dollars. For whatever reason (including RFA) if no one chose to direct dollars at you then your market value is zero. Right now oubres market value is $30M/2 years. Unless he turned down a larger deal that we are unaware of. What you’re talking about is unicorn rainbow farts bc it literally doesn’t exist.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

To get a star, the Suns would've been sacrificing depth, and the Suns still probably wouldnt be ready to win yet.

The Suns added quite a bit of real depth and a starting PG. This is a solid offseason, and the chances of adding a star has increased dramatically. The Suns conceivably could trade TJ, Oubre and picks for a star, and that wouldnt be a bad package.
I wonder how much oubres value in a trade has diminished with the deal being only two years. If traded at deadline that means you only get a partial season and then a contract season. That’s not a lot of return.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
No. The phrase “market value” is definitely determinable. At any given point in time value is exactly what the market dictates. If there are no dollars left, there are no dollars. For whatever reason (including RFA) if no one chose to direct dollars at you then your market value is zero. Right now oubres market value is $30M/2 years. Unless he turned down a larger deal that we are unaware of. What you’re talking about is unicorn rainbow farts bc it literally doesn’t exist.
Okay...

Then how do you come to the conclusion as to whether or not someone overpaid if the player they paid got no offers from anyone else? Anything over zero is an overpay? Obviously there would be a number where you wouldn't believe they overpaid so what is that number and how did you decide on that number?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I wonder how much oubres value in a trade has diminished with the deal being only two years. If traded at deadline that means you only get a partial season and then a contract season. That’s not a lot of return.

That's a fair point, but if he is playing well, a team in the playoff race that has a disgruntled star will know that they will have him for one more season at a cheap rate and then cap relief for Johnson. Not as good as getting a rookie deal guy, that's for sure.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So what was your preference? 3 years, 60? I think James Jones is positioning the team nicely for a possibly nice signing 2 years from now. Who cares about the return? If you only sign guys based on what they MIGHT be worth when you inevitably trade them, how would we get anything done? 2 years is a player-friendly and cap-friendly deal for us. Can it backfire? Sure. But only if he becomes some sort of all-star, and there is no guarantee of that.

The fact that we signed him for $15m per instead of the $22m per many were worried we'd have to is a big win in my book.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I think the problem is that people want to go from being a G-League team to being a contender, and unfortunately, that's not how it works. No A-list player is coming to a G-League team. Suns have to take probably two steps before anyone looks at them seriously. They have their two young stars in Booker and Ayton. Step one is to surround them with actual NBA players. Rubio is a legitimate NBA point guard, Saric is a legitimate NBA power forward, Baynes and Kaminsky are legitimate backups. They already had Bridges, and they retained Oubre. They also added two older rookies who may be able to contribute something immediately.
Step two is Booker and Ayton (along with Oubre and Bridges) developing further.

If all goes well, Suns are going to take a step or two forward, and then good players may take a look at them and be willing to come to Phoenix.

Suns are doing things exactly the right way right now. We'll see how it all looks once the season starts, but in theory, they are spot-on with their approach.

iVAN

Reaction score
I wanted to post the Suns depth chart again... just because it makes me feel good.

Evan Sidery did the work for me.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If Adam Silver lets that second unit play 6 vs 5 then Suns makes the postseason no question.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think the problem is that people want to go from being a G-League team to being a contender, and unfortunately, that's not how it works. No A-list player is coming to a G-League team. Suns have to take probably two steps before anyone looks at them seriously. They have their two young stars in Booker and Ayton. Step one is to surround them with actual NBA players. Rubio is a legitimate NBA point guard, Saric is a legitimate NBA power forward, Baynes and Kaminsky are legitimate backups. They already had Bridges, and they retained Oubre. They also added two older rookies who may be able to contribute something immediately.
Step two is Booker and Ayton (along with Oubre and Bridges) developing further.

If all goes well, Suns are going to take a step or two forward, and then good players may take a look at them and be willing to come to Phoenix.

Suns are doing things exactly the right way right now. We'll see how it all looks once the season starts, but in theory, they are spot-on with their approach.
I think that the fact that free agency is so awful next year actually works in our favor. We get to clear some money and we can really take advantage of trades next summer, then the following summer we're all in on free agency.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think that the fact that free agency is so awful next year actually works in our favor. We get to clear some money and we can really take advantage of trades next summer, then the following summer we're all in on free agency.

Agreed. I just looked at the FA list for next year and it is downright ugly.

iVAN

Reaction score
While Oubre's been hangin with the Boyz in Miami this summer Bridges has been in the weight room and the gym. If he's coming off the bench for 25 minutes a game behind Booker and Bridges season after next he's not getting more than 15 a year in free agency.

yeah, I'm on the Bridges train. He's a more cerebral player, the one that help the team. I hope he develops here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose