Oubre Re-signed

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
so I will now honor my word and begin my 3 month hiatus from posting.
Not much happening the next few months but everyone has you on ignore so I think you should just keep posting all you negative anti Suns _____________

iVAN

Reaction score
Not bad. If he disappoints it's 2 year deal. Not much damage. I hope he improves and proves me wrong

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It’s funny to me that people have heart-ache with a 2 year deal. Particularly since going more in years would’ve likely only have happened if the team was willing to go above $15 million per...
And for what? I really like Oubre, but c’mon man. Many think he’s overpaid at $15 million!
I think a 2 year deal is perfect from the team’s perspective as there are no guarantees Oubre will become who we all hope he will be...
I say - Nicely done James Jones! [emoji106]

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s funny to me that people have heart-ache with a 2 year deal. Particularly since going more in years would’ve likely only have happened if the team was willing to go above $15 million per...
And for what? I really like Oubre, but c’mon man. Many think he’s overpaid at $15 million!
I think a 2 year deal is perfect from the team’s perspective as there are no guarantees Oubre will become who we all hope he will be...
I say - Nicely done James Jones!
You must be registered for see images attach

Who are these many? I don't see anyone griping about it here and I didn't see anyone on Reddit complaining about the cost either.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Who are these many? I don't see anyone griping about it here and I didn't see anyone on Reddit complaining about the cost either.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say “complaining or griping”. But I did see comments, not just on this board, of people being cautious about Oubre, given that he’s literally had 40 games or so of decent NBA play. Amazing that in that short window of production, a person can garner a $30 million pay day... [emoji15]

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Really seems to make sense for both sides especially because of the unusual circumstances surrounding Oubre's free agency.

iVAN

Reaction score

It's an overpay in the sense that no team offered him that much and there's no capspace available in the NBA at this moment.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's an overpay in the sense that no team offered him that much and there's no capspace available in the NBA at this moment.
How does that make it an overpay? By the same logic I suppose you could argue that Oubre has zero value as he wasn't offered a contract from anyone else.

Ultimately your value is set by how much similar level players are getting paid and in comparison to the other players around his caliber 15m/year is pretty close.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm curious if they could have maybe gotten an xtra year at 17-18m per year. I feel like 15m is very close to what he was deserving of, but I certainly would have liked to see him locked in for that 1 extra year at least. Sounds to me like they probably weren't all that close on the price he was worth on a long range deal so they probably met in the middle with the stipulation of it only being for 2 years.

I am thinking that two years is what the Suns wanted. It gives them a lot of cap space that summer, and it coincides with Bridges being up for an extension. Jones probably wanted the flexibility. If Oubre becomes the third star, they can pay him accordingly. If he doesn't, and Mikal surpasses him, they can trade Kelly or let him go.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am very pleased the Suns signed Oubre. It was a must this off season and magnifies the other signings.

Of course I would have preferred a multi-year contract but this signing makes my off season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

CardsSunsDbacks hit on it already, that isn't an overpay. If he were an unrestricted free agent then yes, it would be an overpay because no one else could offer him that amount and no one else did but having the right to match scares teams off. They don't want to throw big money at RFA because it ties up their money that they could be using to sign someone else outright.

There wasn't a team left with that sort of money available but if a team truly thought they could get him to sign and we wouldn't match a deal over $15 million a year then someone would have made space to sign him.

Harrison Barnes got a contract paying him $85 million over 4 years, Bojan Bogdanovich got $73 million over 4 years, and if Oubre was unrestricted I think he would have got somewhere in between those 2 deals. Something like $75-80 over 4 years. A 4 year deal starting at $15 million with 8% raises, which is what a retaining team can offer, would have given him $67.7 million over 4 years and if they managed to lock him down for that I would have been very happy with it but I think Oubre was pushing for more money overall if he was going to commit for that long.

I think Barnes and Oubre are comparable but Barnes has been around a little longer and is more of a proven commodity than Oubre but I would rather pay Oubre that money than Bogdanovich.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hmmn really wanted to lock him up long term. This is like him kicking the qualifying offer maneuver down the road for a year. He obviously wasn't jumping for joy, which makes me nervous.
Yup it’s like he extended the QO for a year for an additional $26M. While I’m happy we retained him, and for more than a year, I think this shades poorly on Jones/Bower negotiations. I look at it this way: if he’s on just QO for a year he gets $4M and becomes UFA. For just one more year he gets an additional $26M and reaches UFA status with 2 years. If he was going to reach UFA status that quickly I’d expect a more team friendly deal (like $12-13M) not what I’d expect a reasonable offer ($15M) that apparently no other team was willing to above for longer years. Count me as skeptical.

2 years means:

Total of 2+ years with team making relationships and building his brand (+)

UFA quickly (-)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Had Oubre been a UFA, he would've been offered more than 15mil annually elsewhere, but not by much. I think teams felt it'd be a waste of time pursuing him knowing the Suns were going to match almost anything on the table, unless he were money-whipped/
But that’s just it - to land a RFA trams have to overpay to dissuade the team holding the restrictive rights. It happens . . . when teams really value the talent. No did so with Oubre which says something imo.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
While Oubre's been hangin with the Boyz in Miami this summer Bridges has been in the weight room and the gym. If he's coming off the bench for 25 minutes a game behind Booker and Bridges season after next he's not getting more than 15 a year in free agency.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yup it’s like he extended the QO for a year for an additional $26M. While I’m happy we retained him, and for more than a year, I think this shades poorly on Jones/Bower negotiations. I look at it this way: if he’s on just QO for a year he gets $4M and becomes UFA. For just one more year he gets an additional $26M and reaches UFA status with 2 years. If he was going to reach UFA status that quickly I’d expect a more team friendly deal (like $12-13M) not what I’d expect a reasonable offer ($15M) that apparently no other team was willing to above for longer years. Count me as skeptical.

2 years means:

Total of 2+ years with team making relationships and building his brand (+)

UFA quickly (-)

But you're not factoring in all the bad mojo caused by a player signing the QO.
That's a huge factor for the Suns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave