OT Trey Lance

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lance is stinking it up right now in his 2nd appearance. first drive high and behind Deebo not caught on 3rd down, then 2nd drive high and behind another WR tipped and picked. They've been talking about this the entire camp and preseason he has a very bad habit of trying to force the ball over the middle by throwing it extra fast and the throws end up high.

And that was after Garapollo did the same thing to Aiyuk and it got tipped and picked by Assante Samuel JR.

Again Lance has a very strong arm but he's so raw

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally see bust written all over him

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally see bust written all over him

I just think at the end of the day he hasn't played that much. his next drive he threw late behind a receiver the LB dropped it. The ball was thrown so hard the LB jammed his fingers trying to catch it. Then on 3rd down he had the RB open in the flat didn't see him, then stepped up and had the first down if he ran, didn't run nearly got stripped from behind and got sacked. That doesn't happen at N Dakota State nobody is athletic enough to get him like that. He's just so inexperienced. Great tools but I'm really surprised there's even discussion of him possibly winning the job now, later in the year if they're not in a playoff race yeah but given how good I think they can be it's unlikely to me they won't just play Jimmy because playing Lance will cost them several games IMO.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HIs last drive was good 2 good throws to Sherfield and after a bad throw behind Aiyuk a perfect throw for a 5 yard TD pass. Last drive was backups against backups, first 2 drives some of the SD starters were in and he had the SF first team OL on the first drive.

He just throws everything 100mph.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished up 8-14 with 2 Td's both after the starters were all out for the Chargers. Settled down quite a bit the first part of the game he was just overthrowing everything. Even the drops were because he threw it too hard. he threw one short out to I think James in the flat that he dropped and he turned around and looked at him and you could see he was saying don't throw the ball that hard.

Had a nice throw to Sherfield setting up the first Td, first example of a touch pass I've seen from him. Had a couple of nice runs.

My guess is if he played in a real game right now he'd have real issues with sacks and would probably get picked off multiple times, but again the upside is there. If I were Shanahan I'd have a package for him but I'd be playing Jimmy G right now, Trey is just not close to ready IMO.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Plus the preseason defenses are not calling complex schemes. If they started Lance first game he would have to run 15 times to be even remotely successful. Defensive coord are going to throw the house at him if he starts. And he could crumble. The speed of the game is much different. The problem is. He is playing against backups or guys getting cut which is the equivalent of him playing bad college teams. He hasnt seen elite level skill, speed or play calling yet.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HIs first 2 series SD had quite a few starters in, and the 49ers had the starting OL and both Deebo and Aiyuk. not Kittle or the starting RB's. He played MUCH better against the reserves than the starters. Part of it was he was just so amped up he was overthrowing everything and part of it was I think it's obviously easier to play against reserves that's why they're reserves.

It's interesting if you look at the schedule we play them in the 5th game. if you're a believer that he's going to challenge for the job that's too early, he's not taking over in week 5 but after that game is their BYE week so if they were going to make a move it would probably be the game after they play us and then have a bye week to put in stuff for Lance.

So if I were a betting man the odds of him playing much before the 6th game are pretty low unless Jimmy gets hurt again.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I hope Jimmy G AND Lance both suck, I can't stand the Whiners

Jimmy is who he is he is efficient and does some things well but he's limited, and he still throws too many balls into coverage. If Lance is any good at all he will eventually take the job, but won't surprise me if that's next year not this one.

It's an interesting situation with their defense healthy and most of the offense healthy you can argue on paper they're good enough to contend for the SB again. So playing a rookie QB is a huge gamble.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SB? Don't think either QB is SB ready, this year.

Not because of the QB but remember they were there 2 years ago with Jimmy. I think the defense is a notch below, no Saleh as DC, they've lost some of the players but they still on paper have a very good defense if healthy. Offensively again if healthy this could be the best offense they've had under Shanahan. Aiyuk and Deebo with Sanu the vet. Mostert is supposed to be healthy at RB with Sermon, Gallman and Wilson and if he makes the roster Hasty is good, if he gets cut we should pick him up.

TE Kittle is back, Woerner looks quite good in preseason, Dwelley looks good.

The OL looks much improved again if they can stay healthy. Mack is old but should be better than they had and Williams and McGlinchey are both solid.

The defense was better 2 years ago but on paper the offense is better, they have more passing weapons and still should be able to run the ball well.

They are co favorites to win the division this year. Not saying they will they have major questions but they are good on paper

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Under no circumstances should 49ers fans be allowed to continue down this incredibly cringe new path of saying “Tray Area” as a catch phrase. These people are insufferable and must be mocked and ridiculed out of nfl fandom forever. There’s plenty of my little pony conventions that can attend where they will fit in better.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not because of the QB but remember they were there 2 years ago with Jimmy. I think the defense is a notch below, no Saleh as DC, they've lost some of the players but they still on paper have a very good defense if healthy. Offensively again if healthy this could be the best offense they've had under Shanahan. Aiyuk and Deebo with Sanu the vet. Mostert is supposed to be healthy at RB with Sermon, Gallman and Wilson and if he makes the roster Hasty is good, if he gets cut we should pick him up.

TE Kittle is back, Woerner looks quite good in preseason, Dwelley looks good.

The OL looks much improved again if they can stay healthy. Mack is old but should be better than they had and Williams and McGlinchey are both solid.

The defense was better 2 years ago but on paper the offense is better, they have more passing weapons and still should be able to run the ball well.

They are co favorites to win the division this year. Not saying they will they have major questions but they are good on paper
Kittle is very good, but what a ******!! We just need Budda to hit him time and time again. Just a matter of time before one of those hits hyperextends his knee. I don’t see the guy having a long career, especially since he has to see Budda twice every seaso.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kittle is very good, but what a ******!! We just need Budda to hit him time and time again. Just a matter of time before one of those hits hyperextends his knee. I don’t see the guy having a long career, especially since he has to see Budda twice every seaso.

he's annoying but if he's on your team I'd love him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard