OT: The Good Son

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
With his family in mind, safety Keith Fitzhugh turns down Jets

Earlier today, Jets coach Rex Ryan said there was a defensive back they would "target," after Jim Leonhard was placed on injured reserve this weekend and James Ihedigbo sustained a high ankle sprain and MCL injury last night.

That player was Keith Fitzhugh: a Mississippi State grad who was added by the Jets as an undrafted free agent in 2009, signed off their practice squad by the Ravens before the playoffs and then brought back by the Jets in training camp this summer.
...more

Admirable

The comments are kind of funny.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read this. Amazing!!!! If you be cool if a team signed him for the rest of the season and gave him a nice bonus and then released him so he would take care of him family.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Makes financial sense too.

How does it make financial sense. He gets a short term gain and then he has nothing. No team is going to give him any sizable amount of money or at least not enough to keep going on for any length of time.

Working for the train company he makes good money and is a good steady income.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
maybe we could trade them Kerry Rhodes for a 4th round pick :D .

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of things:

1) While on the surface it sounds like the responsible thing to do, he'd probably make more money in the next 4-6 weeks than he makes all year at the railroad.

2) If he had any confidence in himself as a football player he'd use this as an opportunity to showcase his abilities for the Jets moving forward as well as the other 31 teams in the league.

3) I think he should have jumped at the opportunity--because make no mistake, that's what it was.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of things:

1) While on the surface it sounds like the responsible thing to do, he'd probably make more money in the next 4-6 weeks than he makes all year at the railroad.

2) If he had any confidence in himself as a football player he'd use this as an opportunity to showcase his abilities for the Jets moving forward as well as the other 31 teams in the league.

3) I think he should have jumped at the opportunity--because make no mistake, that's what it was.
If the shot at the NFL would cost him a career with the railroad, I don't think two weeks in the NFL trumps.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the shot at the NFL would cost him a career with the railroad, I don't think two weeks in the NFL trumps.
But it's not just two weeks, is it? It's for the next 4 regular season games and the playoffs.

If it's just two weeks, I agree. But if it's the rest of the season he'll make enough money in that time to hold him over for the next year (at least)...AND afford him another shot in NFL.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it's not just two weeks, is it? It's for the next 4 regular season games and the playoffs.

If it's just two weeks, I agree. But if it's the rest of the season he'll make enough money in that time to hold him over for the next year (at least)...AND afford him another shot in NFL.
Perhaps. Maybe he likes to play handball as well. :shrug:

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

...and if that doesn't work out he's out of a job and a disabled father to care for. Maybe if he sticks with this job they are going to allow him time off to go to camp, with a job ready if it doesn't work out. Maybe his father isn't doing real well and doesn't have much time. A lot of variables but it certainly is a selfless act.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all they offered was a spot on the practice squad, I dont blame him for thinking of his future before taking a one week job to lose his real job.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of things:

If he was just thinking about himself, that all makes sense. But, he obviously was thinking of his family first. Good for him. Everyone says "family first", but not many actually practice that.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and if that doesn't work out he's out of a job and a disabled father to care for. ... A lot of variables but it certainly is a selfless act.

If he was just thinking about himself, that all makes sense. But, he obviously was thinking of his family first.

He's playing it safe, for sure. But I'm not sure it's in the best interest of his family. He would have made more money in the next month than he likely would have at the railroad for some time. Yes, it's a roll of the dice, but even if he's released immediately after the season he has a pretty good chunk of change to get he and his through until he finds another job. And there are a lot of other scenarios that let him remain playing professional football for a while longer and making better money than he can at the railroad.

Look, I'm not lambasting the guy. It's his choice and I respect that, but I'm just not sure it's as cut and dry as "he's making the right choice for him and his family." He's making "a" choice for he and his, what's right is debatable. There's a reasonable argument to be made for both sides.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if anyone else thinks it's the right decision, it only matters what he thinks.

Major props to him for unselfishly putting his family first and his dreams second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard