OT- Skeleton now a 49er!??!

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
From Rotoworld.....
John Skelton - QB - 49ers
49ers agreed to terms with QB John Skelton.

Sure, why not. Skelton was just in Tennessee working out for the Titans on Tuesday, but tried out for the 49ers early last month. The inaccurate, immobile former Cardinal would seem to be a poor fit for the 49ers' cerebral, multiple offense, but you could do much worse for a No. 3 quarterback. Skelton is taking rookie QB B.J. Daniels' roster spot.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They needed someone to teach Kaepernick how to throw a football a bit more accurately.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
They actually needed him to act as Carson Palmer on the scout team for their upcomming game against the Cardinals. He's a perfect immobile QB and knows how to get sacked.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good Grief. He'll probably complete 10 passes for 248 yards to Anquan Boldin when they play us.

:p

machgman

Veteran
Reaction score
Contrary to Skelton haters' uninformed opinions, Harbaugh has a glowing assessment of Skelton and backed that up by releasing the promising BJ Daniels. Skelton's chances of getting a Super Bowl ring is now ten thousand times better than the Cards and Steve Keim. And, of course, Skelton haters have zero chances at any SB ring.

If Skelton does ends up getting a SB ring with the 49ers, you can be sure he will thank his lucky stars and good fortune that the Cards and Keim gave up on him and he escaped from the Curse of the Cards.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Contrary to Skelton haters' uninformed opinions, Harbaugh has a glowing assessment of Skelton and backed that up by releasing the promising BJ Daniels. Skelton's chances of getting a Super Bowl ring is now ten thousand times better than the Cards and Steve Keim. And, of course, Skelton haters have zero chances at any SB ring.

If Skelton does ends up getting a SB ring with the 49ers, you can be sure he will thank his lucky stars and good fortune that the Cards and Keim gave up on him and he escaped from the Curse of the Cards.

I hope this is all sarcasm, seeing as "haters" have plenty of evidence that Skelton is not a good QB. Cut twice in the last calendar year by two teams is enough evaluation. I could go on about his tenure here in AZ, but I refuse to put myself in that position again.

If Skelton wins a SB ring with the 9ers, it's because he never touches the field and does an excellent job of note taking on a clipboard. Same way many 3rd string QBs in years past have rings. Not much glitz and glamour in that.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Thanks for checking back in with us Steve Skelton. :D

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

So I'm supposed to get upset someone on the sideline might get a Superbowl ring and that there are supposedly curses?

Wow just wow. I'd be a sad individual if I thought like that.

Besides 49ers are overrated and it wouldn't surprise me one bit they don't make the playoffs. Alex Smith so far is having a better season then Kaepernick, on a new team that went 2-14 last year. I thought Niners giving up on Smith was boneheaded and that Kaep has proven nothing except he can throw to his first receiver or run.

So why should I even think the Niners will go anywhere?

Kaep
CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT
2013 Regular Season 68 117 856 58.1 7.32 5 43 4 3 56.2 81.0

Smith
CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT
2013 Regular Season 88 146 957 60.3 6.56 7 51 2 1 53.5 89.9

Also what is Kaep's record as a regular season starter 7-4?

What was Alex Smith's record since 2011 for the Niners? 19-5
What is he with KC 4-0.

Niners need to stop counting their chickens. They've been doing worse under Kaep and his flaws are being exposed.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kaep seemed to do ok in the playoffs when he had receivers to throw to.

I agree, he has been exposed a bit, but you are overrating Alex Smith.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kaep seemed to do ok in the playoffs when he had receivers to throw to.

I agree, he has been exposed a bit, but you are overrating Alex Smith.

Not really. I've always felt he was under-appreciated, but that doesn't mean I think he's Peyton Manning.

Simply an observation that they were a great team with Smith, and since they turned over the keys to Kaep, their winning percentage has dropped pretty far. Was 79 percent under Smith since 2011 and now 63 percent under Kaep. Smith's percentage of wins overall since 2011 is 82 percent (and comprises two teams, two systems, two sets of receivers, etc).

Has Kaep really played better then the 70 percent completion % QB he replaced? The records don't show it. The hype would say yes, reality says the opposite.

Don't forget the context of the poster saying Skelton's chances getting a ring are 10,000x better and that he would be thanking Keim for giving up on him. Also as I sit here, while the 49ers have a better team and a better shot, they've still only got a 2-2 record.

The simple fact is since 2011 Smith as a starter has lost only 5 games. Since the middle of last year Kaep has lost 4 (not counting playoffs).

So to me, they haven't gotten better, but worse. They are still a good team, but they have been trending downwards since Kaep took over. Put that in the context of the Skelton comments and I think I've pegged it pretty well. The 49ers were better under Smith then Kaep. If winning matters of course. Which to the Skelton comments, was clearly the goal.

It's not about overrating Smith. It's saying...hey...he actually fit quite nicely under Harbaugh's system... and apparently Reid's so far. Maybe with the 49ers using a less effective QB, their shots at the Superbowl aren't as grand as that hypers think.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. I've always felt he was under-appreciated, but that doesn't mean I think he's Peyton Manning.

Simply an observation that they were a great team with Smith, and since they turned over the keys to Kaep, their winning percentage has dropped pretty far. Was 79 percent under Smith since 2011 and now 63 percent under Kaep. Smith's percentage of wins overall since 2011 is 82 percent (and comprises two teams, two systems, two sets of receivers, etc).

Has Kaep really played better then the 70 percent completion % QB he replaced? The records don't show it. The hype would say yes, reality says the opposite.

Don't forget the context of the poster saying Skelton's chances getting a ring are 10,000x better and that he would be thanking Keim for giving up on him. Also as I sit here, while the 49ers have a better team and a better shot, they've still only got a 2-2 record.

The simple fact is since 2011 Smith as a starter has lost only 5 games. Since the middle of last year Kaep has lost 4 (not counting playoffs).

So to me, they haven't gotten better, but worse. They are still a good team, but they have been trending downwards since Kaep took over. Put that in the context of the Skelton comments and I think I've pegged it pretty well. The 49ers were better under Smith then Kaep. If winning matters of course. Which to the Skelton comments, was clearly the goal.

It's not about overrating Smith. It's saying...hey...he actually fit quite nicely under Harbaugh's system... and apparently Reid's so far. Maybe with the 49ers using a less effective QB, their shots at the Superbowl aren't as grand as that hypers think.
Yet Kaep got it done in the playoffs and got them to a Super Bowl. Alex Smith lost the job losing to the Giants and missing the playoffs.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yet Kaep got it done in the playoffs and got them to a Super Bowl. Alex Smith lost the job losing to the Giants and missing the playoffs.

You only get it done when you win the Superbowl, but that's my opinion and everyone has their own standards.

Why couldn't Smith get it done in the playoffs. He was playing better then Kaep was during the season.

Also Kaep didn't play well in the playoffs, his defense kept bailing him out. If anything Kaep almost lost each of his playoff games because of himself.

Maybe you forget but they were down like 14-0 and 21-0 (separate games and their ONLY 2 playoff games before Superbowl) because of boneheaded plays by Kaepernick. Personally at the time, aside from everything else, I felt Alex Smith got the shaft and wanted the Niners new golden boy (and golden coach) to get taken down a notch or two. I felt it was bush league the way they benched Smith. IMO it would have been fitting to lose because of that bush league decision.

So really Kaepernick and Harbaugh were lucky even to get to the Superbowl.

Right after the Superbowl loss I actually created this and posted it here.

You must be registered for see images attach

I wasn't joking, but I sure was rubbing it in.

But Smith didn't lose the job in the way you describe. What happened was Alex Smith was coming off that great game against us where he set that NFL record going 18-19 passing against us. He got a concussion during the Rams tie game and they never went back to him (except in mop up duty). But in 7 1/2 games Kaepernick only threw 10 TD's, had a worse record, and a lower rating.

Smith was having an amazing season and had that winning percentage as a starter and lost his job due to injury and Harbaugh's salivating over Kaep's tools.

It wasn't about performance, because by any measure, he's probably the best QB EVER to be benched. What other QB with a 70 percent completion percentage that season, was breaking records, and had a 79 percent winning percentage over the previous 2 1/2 seasons ever got benched? There is absolutely no reason why Smith should have gotten benched.

In the end Kaep played and 49ers didn't get a ring. Maybe I got my wish. Can we honestly say we know for sure who would have won if Smith started? Exactly. We'll never really know, but all data points to Smith giving them a better shot to win. But hey they lost, so from a Cards perspective it's good they started Kaep.

Beyond this they don't have a 1-2 punch at QB, and if Kaep gets tackled the wrong way running, well they up a creek without a paddle. Even before John Skelton was signed.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you misremember Smith failing against the Giants in the NFC Championship game. He is a dink and dunker. I also think you are not taking into account the WR injuries Kaep had dealt with this season.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
In a balanced offense Skelton is money- he may hit out like ba said- but think he was tired of being jerked around by the Whiz!

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think you misremember Smith failing against the Giants in the NFC Championship game. He is a dink and dunker. I also think you are not taking into account the WR injuries Kaep had dealt with this season.

He lost the starter's job halfway through the 2012 season. Whatever he was, he was winning, and more often then Kaep. So Smith leads them to the NFC championship game and loses and he deserves to lose his job because of this? Meanwhile Kaep played like crap in the playoffs last year, nearly by himself losing both playoff games before the Superbowl, and hell if not for that blackout the game would have been a blowout.

Kaep has Boldin and Davis and Crabtree will be returning. While dealing with injuries its important to note he still has two big tough clutch receivers he can throw to 20 times a game if he has the ability to. Under such a situation I don't know if I would rather have a different set.

They also still have their defense.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He lost the starter's job halfway through the 2012 season. Whatever he was, he was winning, and more often then Kaep. So Smith leads them to the NFC championship game and loses and he deserves to lose his job because of this? Meanwhile Kaep played like crap in the playoffs last year, nearly by himself losing both playoff games before the Superbowl, and hell if not for that blackout the game would have been a blowout.

Kaep has Boldin and Davis and Crabtree will be returning. While dealing with injuries its important to note he still has two big tough clutch receivers he can throw to 20 times a game if he has the ability to. Under such a situation I don't know if I would rather have a different set.

They also still have their defense.
Won't agree on this.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Won't agree on this.

It's all good. I just think that having 2 future HOF'ers to throw to isn't a depleted receiving core. It may be less stocked then it normally would be if not for injuries, but if you have two guys you can get the ball to, and they're future HOF'ers, that's still better then many teams.

Maybe I have a different viewpoint about Boldin then others, but I always felt he was VASTLY underused in Baltimore. For whatever reason Joe didn't throw to him. When he finally did...they won a superbowl.

Boldin is a guy who if you can get the ball to him, it's game over. He'll carry a team on his back and make the tough catches look easy. Feed him the rock through the air. Go to that well until it's dry. If the 49ers don't want to, I won't go easy on them because Crabtree is injured for a few more weeks.

But that also sets up a good 2nd half of the season for them. Kaepernick will have three quality receivers to throw to. No more excuses.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all good. I just think that having 2 future HOF'ers to throw to isn't a depleted receiving core. It may be less stocked then it normally would be if not for injuries, but if you have two guys you can get the ball to, and they're future HOF'ers, that's still better then many teams.

Maybe I have a different viewpoint about Boldin then others, but I always felt he was VASTLY underused in Baltimore. For whatever reason Joe didn't throw to him. When he finally did...they won a superbowl.

Boldin is a guy who if you can get the ball to him, it's game over. He'll carry a team on his back and make the tough catches look easy. Feed him the rock through the air. Go to that well until it's dry. If the 49ers don't want to, I won't go easy on them because Crabtree is injured for a few more weeks.

But that also sets up a good 2nd half of the season for them. Kaepernick will have three quality receivers to throw to. No more excuses.
Ok. Who cares, we hate them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard