OT: Rosen behind Ryan Fitzpatrick on Dolphins' depth chart

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a major story on ESPN today, and also somewhat relevant to our team. If you don't want to discuss football, don't comment on my thread, it's that simple. You're incredibly naive to believe that Rosen's progress isn't an interest to others here.

i'm not naive. hell, I was one of the Rosen One's biggest backer when he was drafted, but the the second we decided to swing for the fences, I was all in on the home-run swing. I just don't... ah, screw it. people are gonna douche how they want to douche.

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i'm not naive. hell, I was one of the Rosen One's biggest backer when he was drafted, but the the second we decided to swing for the fences, I was all in on the home-run swing. I just don't... ah, screw it. people are gonna douche how they want to douche.

I also backed Rosen and was excited about the pick, but when I saw the product on the field, I had serious doubts he could be the QBOTF. He looks like he is going to be a career back up/journeyman, but he's still young, and he likely has a lot of football in front of him. My point is, his progress is going to be relevant to our team despite him playing on the Dolphins because of the "what if" scenario, good or bad.

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
NONSENSE.
Stupid post with a stupid premise.Judging anything thru the mess that was last season is premature,idiotic and plain freaking stupid.

Well, you must have some serious beef with our front office then, considering they did the same thing about Rosen.

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Random Fitzmagic facts: He is from Gilbert, AZ and he has the highest score ever on the Wonderlic test by a QB. He reportedly took the test in about 9 minutes, reportedly left one question unanswered, and score a 48.

I played against him when he was a QB at Highland highschool. Dude is an absolute genius.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ftizpatrick is McCown. Not great, not bad. He's the type of backup everyone should want. He's not a full time starter as last season showed. I honestly feel the same way about Foles. If people think he's going to lead Jacksonville to the playoffs are delusional. Funny how people forget that Wentz was forced to come back too soon last season because Foles was stinking up the place. But Fitzpatrick is the kind of guy you want on your bench if needed, same with Foles. Neither can be relied on as a long term starter. If Fitzpatrick was, he wouldn't be on his 8th team and 5th in 8 years.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh Rosen works way back into Dolphins competition

Any lead Ryan Fitzpatrick had in the Dolphins quarterback competition has promptly vanished, which seems about right considering his career trajectory.

But after Josh Rosen turned in another strong performance in Saturday’s quasi-scrimmage and Fitzpatrick struggled again, the competition appears to be well and truly on.

That’s irrelevant in my head,” Rosen said of the state of the competition, via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald. “Just trying to compete with all the quarterbacks, but also try to compete on the field, have fun. Because the one thing that coach was stressing in the meeting was, we’ve put a lot of work in. Been a lot of really tough, hot, long training camp days.

“The scrimmage is supposed to be fun. Football, it’s a game. We all have a job to do and we’re taking it seriously, but I was excited to come out here and have fun, play football.”

While he stood out, Fitzpatrick threw a pair of bad interceptions, and coach Brian Flores noted before the scrimmage that Rosen had made significant improvements since he declared Fitzpatrick to be leading the competition recently.

“He’s made some improvement really across the board,” Flores said. “It’s things a lot of people don’t see. Better footwork, better mechanics in the pocket, better decision-making.

“I know I said he was leading the way the other day, but let’s be clear there’s still a lot competition and a lot of time left. Today is a big day to showcase the improvement guys have made.”

While Fitzpatrick has shown the ability to create brief and bright-shining moments of competence, the ceiling is much higher with Rosen, and the Dolphins might be better off giving the former first-rounder all the chances they can to make the job his own.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any lead Ryan Fitzpatrick had in the Dolphins quarterback competition has promptly vanished, which seems about right considering his career trajectory.

But after Josh Rosen turned in another strong performance in Saturday’s quasi-scrimmage and Fitzpatrick struggled again, the competition appears to be well and truly on.

That’s irrelevant in my head,” Rosen said of the state of the competition, via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald. “Just trying to compete with all the quarterbacks, but also try to compete on the field, have fun. Because the one thing that coach was stressing in the meeting was, we’ve put a lot of work in. Been a lot of really tough, hot, long training camp days.

“The scrimmage is supposed to be fun. Football, it’s a game. We all have a job to do and we’re taking it seriously, but I was excited to come out here and have fun, play football.”

While he stood out, Fitzpatrick threw a pair of bad interceptions, and coach Brian Flores noted before the scrimmage that Rosen had made significant improvements since he declared Fitzpatrick to be leading the competition recently.

“He’s made some improvement really across the board,” Flores said. “It’s things a lot of people don’t see. Better footwork, better mechanics in the pocket, better decision-making.

“I know I said he was leading the way the other day, but let’s be clear there’s still a lot competition and a lot of time left. Today is a big day to showcase the improvement guys have made.”

While Fitzpatrick has shown the ability to create brief and bright-shining moments of competence, the ceiling is much higher with Rosen, and the Dolphins might be better off giving the former first-rounder all the chances they can to make the job his own.
So you are saying it is way too early to judge anything at all?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
holy F... who cares about rosen anymore?! This is a thread PURELY to point at others to say "nee-neener-nee-neeer!"

and someone started following Dolphin's camp literally JUST to follow a guy who's not on the team anymore.

some of y'all need to get a life.
+1

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Broseph cough cough

Lockjaw

Reaction score
I'm getting really excited about Murray. I was nervous watching some of his interviews before the draft, but he seems to have much better composure and grasp of the situation now. I just hope he doesn't have an itch to play baseball in the future.

I also think we are lucky that we were able to move on from Rosen. I don't think Rosen has what it takes to be a successful starting QB in the NFL. You need talent, confidence and dedication.

I was going back through an October 23, 2018 article on azcardinals.com when Rosen was visiting a local school The article from Darren Urban states:

Rosen also said he is excited to return to classes at UCLA this offseason, where he is two years shy of his degree -- but not necessarily because of the degree.

"I just want to get back to learning again, especially without football in the way," Rosen said. "I can go back and really dive into classes. Go a little early, stay a little late, and really learn and not just pass tests.

"I'm excited to go back to school. I'm more excited to finish the season with hopefully a couple more wins, but I'm looking forward to going back."

Rosen was excited and looking forward to winning 2 out of the final 9 games! What kind of competitor says that? Also, why in October of his rooking season is he looking forward to diving into classes in the offseason "without football in the way."

Compare this to the recent articles on Andrew Luck's dedication jeopardizing his relationship with his girlfriend (now wife). I don't think Rosen has the dedication and commitment to be a star in the NFL.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm getting really excited about Murray. I was nervous watching some of his interviews before the draft, but he seems to have much better composure and grasp of the situation now. I just hope he doesn't have an itch to play baseball in the future.

I also think we are lucky that we were able to move on from Rosen. I don't think Rosen has what it takes to be a successful starting QB in the NFL. You need talent, confidence and dedication.

I was going back through an October 23, 2018 article on azcardinals.com when Rosen was visiting a local school The article from Darren Urban states:

Rosen also said he is excited to return to classes at UCLA this offseason, where he is two years shy of his degree -- but not necessarily because of the degree.

"I just want to get back to learning again, especially without football in the way," Rosen said. "I can go back and really dive into classes. Go a little early, stay a little late, and really learn and not just pass tests.

"I'm excited to go back to school. I'm more excited to finish the season with hopefully a couple more wins, but I'm looking forward to going back."

Rosen was excited and looking forward to winning 2 out of the final 9 games! What kind of competitor says that? Also, why in October of his rooking season is he looking forward to diving into classes in the offseason "without football in the way."

Compare this to the recent articles on Andrew Luck's dedication jeopardizing his relationship with his girlfriend (now wife). I don't think Rosen has the dedication and commitment to be a star in the NFL.

You mean the same Andrew Luck that stayed at Stanford for an additional year to complete his architecture degree?

Weird thing to get triggered on.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Your perception that nfl players only think about football is skewed and irrational.

Lockjaw

Reaction score
You mean the same Andrew Luck that stayed at Stanford for an additional year to complete his architecture degree?

Weird thing to get triggered on.

Luck wanted to play another year at Stanford and get his degree before going to the NFL. That's just finishing a commitment in a way that won't interfere with his NFL career.

I am surprised that you are comfortable with a 1st round rookie quarterback openly pining for the offseason and being content with winning 2 out of the last 9 games.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luck wanted to play another year at Stanford and get his degree before going to the NFL. That's just finishing a commitment in a way that won't interfere with his NFL career.

I am surprised that you are comfortable with a 1st round rookie quarterback openly pining for the offseason and being content with winning 2 out of the last 9 games.
You are misquoting him to fit your own narrative.

its not like they asked him how do you feel about next weeks matchup and he responded with i cant wait for the season to be over.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rosen is a backup and the Dolphins are tanking for the real deal next year.
My guess is they will draft Jake Fromm. Interesting to watch this season though and see if Sam Ehlinger can play his way into that spot.

Lockjaw

Reaction score
You are misquoting him to fit your own narrative.

its not like they asked him how do you feel about next weeks matchup and he responded with i cant wait for the season to be over.

I think his quotes speak for themselves, but I am not here to argue. I have read this board since a few years after it's inception. I don't generally participate in the discussions because people take things too personally. I came across that article over the weekend, thought it was interesting and thought it gave some insight on Rosen. I don't want a qb that is openly stating he will lead us to "hopefully a couple more wins" when there are 9 games left in the season.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think his quotes speak for themselves, but I am not here to argue. I have read this board since a few years after it's inception. I don't generally participate in the discussions because people take things too personally. I came across that article over the weekend, thought it was interesting and thought it gave some insight on Rosen. I don't want a qb that is openly stating he will lead us to "hopefully a couple more wins" when there are 9 games left in the season.
Not arguing, just saying this is quite out of context. A couple does not necessarily equate to two and we were clearly a horrible team. There is nothing being taken personal, I am just stating you are reading way too far into things. Personally, I saw him wanting to continue education after the season as being a committed guy to being cerebral and being cerebral helps as a QB so ultimately, it can be twisted any way the reader wants to twist it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's Josh being Josh to be honest. He said repeatedly at UCLA that athletes get a raw deal, they don't get paid, and they're put in a situation where it's not all that easy to actually take full advantage of the scholarship because of the demands of the sport. Rosen entered UCLA early so he could win the QB spot as a freshman. He changed OC's constantly at UCLA, and had 2 in his rookie year for us. I think he's proven he's a hard worker. Confidence is clearly not an issue in fact people say he's TOO confident.

I think what he meant with respect to not just pass tests and get grades was when you're a student athlete they expect your top priority to be the sport so you're just in class to get enough to pass tests and get the grades needed to stay eligible. What he'd rather do, as a very bright kid, is enjoy the class and actually learn like a normal college student.

I'm a bit surprised he's behind Fitzpatrick but I don't follow the Dolphins and they have a new coach and it may be as simple as he's more comfortable with a veteran QB, maybe Josh is stinking it up who knows. I don't think it's got anything to do with his having interests outside of football. I mean Tom Brady is the GOAT, the guy married a Hollywood actress then divorced her for a supermodel, he's got all sorts of outside interests, I don't think you have to be devoid of a personal life outside of football to be an NFL QB.

I hope JOsh makes it, I said repeatedly when he was at UCLA he was never as good as I expected he should be, there was just something missing. Missed open deep guys, took too many risks etc. My concern with him last year was after starting off looking fairly good in a bad situation, he got worse not better. Now the situation got worse too, new coaches, injuries on the OL and WR etc, but the game never seemed to slow down for him like I expected it would. It would not surprise me if Josh becomes a terrific NFL QB, it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't.

My concerns with Murray were lack of experience and that nagging baseball thing. So far I like what I'm hearing about him and honestly the minute we drafted him I ceased to be overly concerned with Josh. I wish him luck, but Murray is our QB now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My guess is they will draft Jake Fromm. Interesting to watch this season though and see if Sam Ehlinger can play his way into that spot.

I don't think Ehlinger is an NFL QB.

He doesn't make a ton of NFL throws right now. I went back and watched both OU-Texas match ups, and as much as everyone wanted to talk about how much Murray's supporting cast made him better, Ehlinger was really boosted in the first game against OU. In the first game, Murray was running for his life at times, and while he made some amazing plays, he had a few turnovers and OUs defense was HORRID. In the second game, OUs defense made a few plays and that was the difference.

Ehlinger looks at best like a good backup QB. Nothing about his game screams NFL QB.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's Josh being Josh to be honest. He said repeatedly at UCLA that athletes get a raw deal, they don't get paid, and they're put in a situation where it's not all that easy to actually take full advantage of the scholarship because of the demands of the sport. Rosen entered UCLA early so he could win the QB spot as a freshman. He changed OC's constantly at UCLA, and had 2 in his rookie year for us. I think he's proven he's a hard worker. Confidence is clearly not an issue in fact people say he's TOO confident.

I think what he meant with respect to not just pass tests and get grades was when you're a student athlete they expect your top priority to be the sport so you're just in class to get enough to pass tests and get the grades needed to stay eligible. What he'd rather do, as a very bright kid, is enjoy the class and actually learn like a normal college student.

I'm a bit surprised he's behind Fitzpatrick but I don't follow the Dolphins and they have a new coach and it may be as simple as he's more comfortable with a veteran QB, maybe Josh is stinking it up who knows. I don't think it's got anything to do with his having interests outside of football. I mean Tom Brady is the GOAT, the guy married a Hollywood actress then divorced her for a supermodel, he's got all sorts of outside interests, I don't think you have to be devoid of a personal life outside of football to be an NFL QB.

I hope JOsh makes it, I said repeatedly when he was at UCLA he was never as good as I expected he should be, there was just something missing. Missed open deep guys, took too many risks etc. My concern with him last year was after starting off looking fairly good in a bad situation, he got worse not better. Now the situation got worse too, new coaches, injuries on the OL and WR etc, but the game never seemed to slow down for him like I expected it would. It would not surprise me if Josh becomes a terrific NFL QB, it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't.

My concerns with Murray were lack of experience and that nagging baseball thing. So far I like what I'm hearing about him and honestly the minute we drafted him I ceased to be overly concerned with Josh. I wish him luck, but Murray is our QB now.

I recently watched all the condensed versions of our games last year. I should have written things down, but here are some of the things that I came away with:

- Rosen did flash some skill from time to time, but truth be told, he never should have played last year. His inconsistencies had more to do with him just not being ready. As bad as Bradford was, the Cardinals still should have left him out there.

- DJ wasn't nearly as bad as some of us thought he was. The kid has power & shiftiness. I expect him to have a great season.

- Fitz may no longer be great, but he's still pretty damn good. K1 will love throwing the ball to Fitz.

- Coaching on both sides of the ball was abysmal. In a 3-4, our D last year could have been pretty good. In a 4-3, our run D was embarrassing. We knocked down a ton of passes at the LOS & got after the QB pretty good. 3rd down D was awful & that's coaching.

- Christian Kirk will have a breakout season this year, as long as he stays healthy.

- Lee is a great punter, but Zane scares the hell out of me.

- Reddick flashed his potential too, but took bad angles all too often. I still have hope that he can help us.

- PP21 still has some tread on his tires. I expect him to come out & play his a$$ off after his 6 game suspension. Fyi, Baker is a player too!!

- Lastly, Chandler Jones was our MVP last year. That dude is a beast & will don a gold jacket down the road.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
You all destroyed Bradford last year, it wasn’t his fault any more than josh’s.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson