OT: R.I.P. Tony Siragusa (1967-2022)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's all chump change for the owners. Who tend to live a LONG time. It's not even money they have to come up with themselves.
Without the owners, who of which at least someone did a remarkable job in their family to earn that huge bank account, they would not have that chump change. The players do not deserve more than that 'chump change' which the owners at one time earned. We live in a capitalistic society, but when someone succeeds at that we throw shade at them

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without the owners, who of which at least someone did a remarkable job in their family to earn that huge bank account, they would not have that chump change. The players do not deserve more than that 'chump change' which the owners at one time earned. We live in a capitalistic society, but when someone succeeds at that we throw shade at them
They deserve whatever they can get. That is all I am saying. Even David Carr deserved that deal. I will never hold it against a player for going for the money.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is actually a very typical age for an NFL player to die at. There was a study that compared age of death for NFL players to age of death for MLB players. The NFL average age of death was 59.6. MLB 66.7

I kind of doubt the average age of death has gone up since the paper was published. If anything it might be down a bit. That would be my hypothesis.

I personally think it's something to remember when we watch these guys perform. They are literally taking years off thier life for our entertainment. Knowing this, how can we blame them for wanting "too much money"? And take the ownership line that these players are selfish when they want new contracts or take the contract with the most money?
Doesn't help that heart disease run in his family and his own father passed away at age 48.

The guy could have been an accountant or a PE coach and been dead at 55 for all we know.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't help that heart disease run in his family and his own father passed away at age 48.

The guy could have been an accountant or a PE coach and been dead at 55 for all we know.
True. But what we do know is this is an age of death typical for an NFL player. And nothing can really be told from one death. It's when you get into the hundreds, you can start to say "there is a real trend here. What is behind it?" And, if you read that article you would have read the most significant difference between the two groups is the rate of heart disease.

I feel pretty comfortable saying Tony also had a lot more access to health care than his Dad did.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
They deserve whatever they can get. That is all I am saying. Even David Carr deserved that deal. I will never hold it against a player for going for the money.
Of course, but one should not fault the hand that feeds them either since the owners made this possible by paying the players, building the stadiums, and making the sport a viable option for decades, for providing the platform for fame, for creating the whole infrastructure, for them players to make that outrageous money because it takes their insane money to support the players' unique opportunity to also do what they love

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose