OT: Man who ran on field during NFL game files police report

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Man who ran on field during NFL game files police report

The protester who ran onto the field during an NFL game between the Los Angeles Rams and San Francisco 49ers has reportedly filed a police report.

Security chased the man across the field on Monday. After being unable to catch him, Rams linebacker Bobby Wagner flattened him when he approached the sideline.

Security was then able to restrain the protester.

Wagner defended his decision to knock over the protester, saying the man was a security risk.

"There's consequences for your actions," Wagner said, according to ESPN.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boo freaking-hoo.

Runs onto the field with motives unknown and avoids security (one member of the security team took a tumble and could have been injured) and approaches the players and gets tackled. Good.

Future reference: Don't want to get tackled by an NFL player? Remain in your seat rather than illegally rushing onto the field.

Still have a vivid memory of Garth Jax planting a streaking fan into the turf at Sun Devil Stadium during a game back in the day.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That man will win the case. Don't @ me. I think the man was wrong 100% but getting body slammed by a "guest" at the field is a winnable case IMO.
Ehhh

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That man will win the case. Don't @ me. I think the man was wrong 100% but getting body slammed by a "guest" at the field is a winnable case IMO.
Thought the same thing. It wasn't Wagner's job to provide security and he took the dude down like a football player.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being wrong and winning case are two different outcomes. Well, you are an ex-cop and likely know this.
Absolutely And it’s a criminal case I don’t see a jury convicting anyone. Not to mention it’s a misdemeanor. The endgame here obviously is a lawsuit designed for a money grab against the players. The “criminal” aspect isn’t going anywhere.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Absolutely And it’s a criminal case I don’t see a jury convicting anyone. Not to mention it’s a misdemeanor. The endgame here obviously is a lawsuit designed for a money grab against the players. The “criminal” aspect isn’t going anywhere.
Yup, they are going to argue player assault and bodily injury when the player is not part of stadium employee or security.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Local news says there's very specific language in the tickets when you buy them that says you can NOT go onto the field unless told to do so by authorities(like say in an emergency). They said the entire intent of it beyond telling you to stay off the field, is to serve as a legal disclaimer if you do, you do so at your own risk.

I remember ages ago a guy fell out of the stands at an A's game and someone jumped to help them and broke his leg. Same thing he sued and lost because of that clause.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thought the same thing. It wasn't Wagner's job to provide security and he took the dude down like a football player.
If the dude snuck a smoke bomb into the stadium and took it right in front of the Rams bench, he could have had anything. If the guy turned out to have a gun Bobby is a hero.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Civil case sure, insurance will settle and pay him. From a criminal standpoint self defense is going to hold up here primarily because of the smoke canisters. From a Lego standpoint Wagner can say he wasn’t sure what was in them or what his intentions were so he neutralized the threat without causing serious injury. From a practical standpoint a jury isn’t going to convict on this ever, so they won’t bother bringing charges.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Local news says there's very specific language in the tickets when you buy them that says you can NOT go onto the field unless told to do so by authorities(like say in an emergency). They said the entire intent of it beyond telling you to stay off the field, is to serve as a legal disclaimer if you do, you do so at your own risk.

I remember ages ago a guy fell out of the stands at an A's game and someone jumped to help them and broke his leg. Same thing he sued and lost because of that clause.
It’s a trespass warning as well. He was already breaking the law by getting in the field. That’s why you only rush the field when everyone does and don’t act stupid.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the dude snuck a smoke bomb into the stadium and took it right in front of the Rams bench, he could have had anything. If the guy turned out to have a gun Bobby is a hero.

Wagner literally said we have no idea what the blue smoke is and we weren't going to take any chances

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
This is why I always feel that it is better that if you are going to intervene and physically get involved helping someone in need, you better go ahead and make sure the guy doesn't live to file a claim against you and take you to court. "Death to all infidels", that's my motto!