OT: Kevin Durant offered 10 year $320 million deal by Under Armor

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yannis Koutroupis @YannisNBA
Source confirms $320+ million offer from Under Armor to Kevin Durant. Offer includes equity in the company. Nike thinks they've lost him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/YannisNBA/status/497252174569553920
Wow...just wow. I wonder how much the equity will be for too since Under Armor is a billion dollar company.

I think its possible that KD becomes a billionaire before LeBron.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow! $32 mill a year. Must be nice. :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good for Kevin Durant. He deserves it.

No one deserves it. I don't begrudge him at all, but that is way more than anyone deserves.

I've been in India working with people making $50 a month. What a world we live in.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Is Under Armor a new shoe company? Sounds more like a deodorant company...

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
And he just backed out of team USA. Coincidence?

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No one deserves it. I don't begrudge him at all, but that is way more than anyone deserves.

I've been in India working with people making $50 a month. What a world we live in.

Completely agree.

He deserves 32 mil a year because he has done.... What?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Completely agree.

He deserves 32 mil a year because he has done.... What?
Because he can put a ball in a hoop.

When you think about it, its just ridiculous how these guys who put a ball in a hoop for a living make soooooooo much more than nurses, police officers, teachers, fire fighters etc.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The company was founded in 1996 by a 23-year old. Because he wanted a T-shirt that would keep him as dry as his underwear did. They are now into sportswear, casual attire and footwear. Big money!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_Armour

And it is spelled Under Armour.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
When you think about it, its just ridiculous how these guys who put a ball in a hoop for a living make soooooooo much more than nurses, police officers, teachers, fire fighters etc.

Then why does it happen? Have you thought about what the explanation is?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Then why does it happen? Have you thought about what the explanation is?

Because no one pays to see a police officer, or a teacher work. Sucks as they are MUCH more important then a bball player! Don't want to get to into this as this thread will then need to be moved to the P & R section.:bang:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem with this whatsoever.

1) You are worth what people are willing to pay you.

2) It doesn't affect salary cap.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Because no one pays to see a police officer, or a teacher work. Sucks as they are MUCH more important then a bball player! Don't want to get to into this as this thread will then need to be moved to the P & R section.:bang:

Aren't you the site's owner? Keep the thread where you want.

I'm not justifying, only trying to understand the phenomenon. It's also because entertainers reach many more people than individual police officers or teachers do. There are hundreds of millions of basketball fans in the world, compared to probably only a few thousand per each police officer's jurisdiction. A teacher who has 100 students a year will teach only a few thousand in his or her career.

Keeping people alive is important, but quality of life is also important. Especially in developed nations, people put a big price on quality of life, and entertainment is a big part of that. Most of the advances in technology (not all, but most) boil down to entertainment value: either entertainment itself, or ways to make our work more efficient so that we have more leisure time.

Personally, watching Durant play basketball doesn't move the needle enough for me that I want to pay much for the privilege. But it's a different story for a lot of people. And I'm sure almost any of us could rattle off a long list of expensive things -- let's start with houses and cars -- that we could pretty easily survive without, but that we want because it brings us to the quality of life that we aspire to.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If he makes the company more than what they pay him than he is worth the pay. Yes he plays a sport for a living, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't work hard. To be at the level that he is at in his sport takes a lot of hard work that a lot of people aren't willing to put in. Sure there are poeple out there that have more "important" jobs that don't make anywhere near as much money, but nobody pays to watch them do their job.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is silly. If our metric is value to the human race, and we're measuring it on a global scale, most everyone in America makes far more than we deserve. I doubt anyone around here is looking to renegotiate their salaries to make less money. This is not a political statement. This is a reality statement, and such is the state of athletics: Athletes make more money than most everyone else because they create more business than most everyone else.

I figured since almost all of us are members of this board because of our obsession with professional athletics, this is something we would have already resolved -- morally -- with some quiet and personal epiphany. It's not something that needed to be stated because we obviously excuse the excesses of our heroes. Even the murderers, rapists and wife beaters. Or, at the very least, we've chosen not to be hypocritical that it's OK to judge athletes for making too much money while financially supporting the very people we're judging. No moral or ethical conflicts there (I said to myself, sardonically).

I don't mean to fall into the reductio ad absurdum trap, but the argument established to the negative is a straw man. No one deserves $320 million, not in a literal sense. No one deserves $1 million or even $100 while children go hungry all over the world. But I'm happy a guy who represents the very best of American athletics at the moment is the one cashing in on that offer.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am not getting upset at the players or even the endorsers. I am really getting upset at the government not paying the people that matter more. Police, Teachers, Firefighters, and so on. Instead they spend their money on Politicians that do line their pockets for the rest of their lives. This really had nothing to do with UA or Kevin, just sparked a feeling about government spending in me. That's all. ;)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not getting upset at the players or even the endorsers. I am really getting upset at the government not paying the people that matter more. Police, Teachers, Firefighters, and so on. Instead they spend their money on Politicians that do line their pockets for the rest of their lives. This really had nothing to do with UA or Kevin, just sparked a feeling about government spending in me. That's all. ;)

Fair enough. I'm pretty sure Kevin Durant, Under Armour, or the NBA has anything to do with the reason people who choose valiant careers aren't paid on par with their sacrifice. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson