OT: Earl Thomas

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Signing the contract doesn't stop teams from not honoring it when they feel the player's play has declined. Why are players expected to honor their contracts when teams aren't?

I don't think anyone expects anything. He could have retired and not played. Instead he choose to show up and collect what he signed for. Sound like both side were honoring the contract.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yup, these players and agents know exactly what they are signing. Only the guaranteed money is truly money in their pockets and they know that when they sign on the dotted line. I have no sympathy for these guys and their contract hold outs.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll never understand why people side against labor when it comes to the NFL.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
greed.

Leveon is sniveling about being asked to play football for $14mil guaranteed.

play a game...for FOURTEEN MILLION DOLLARS GUARANTEED!!!!

screw him and his greedy ass, let him sit

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
greed.

It's not greed this is the market 14 million seems like a lot until you consider its a billion dollar bussiness and the reason it's a billion dollar bussiness is because people are paying to see the guys on the field.

The NFL owners can rip up that contract anytime they want as soon as you get hurt your no good to them.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I get where Bell is coming from. Yes he could have collected $14 million had he signed his franchised contract however you also know the Steelers would have run him into the ground and then parted ways with him. He is invested in himself to sign one last big payday before his body gives out. What he is betting on is some other is willing to pay him what he thinks he's worth. That's the gamble he is taking.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's not greed this is the market 14 million seems like a lot until you consider its a billion dollar bussiness and the reason it's a billion dollar bussiness is because people are paying to see the guys on the field.

The NFL owners can rip up that contract anytime they want as soon as you get hurt your no good to them.
the franchise tag is 100% guaranteed...they can rip it up all they want he is still gonna collect 14mil from it had he signed it

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get where Bell is coming from. Yes he could have collected $14 million had he signed his franchised contract however you also know the Steelers would have run him into the ground and then parted ways with him. He is invested in himself to sign one last big payday before his body gives out. What he is betting on is some other is willing to pay him what he thinks he's worth. That's the gamble he is taking.

Look no further than the Cowboys. Ran DeMarco Murray into the ground then got someone younger and showed him the door.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Signing the contract doesn't stop teams from not honoring it when they feel the player's play has declined. Why are players expected to honor their contracts when teams aren't?

Seattle was honoring the contact.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
greed.

He’s being paid to entertain millions. Much like Tom cruise. And these guys sacrifice their bodies. Ever seen an older former nfl player? They can barely move.

I agree that pro athletes sound whiny often but those that make valid points, well, I get it. Owners are making just silly money.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He’s being paid to entertain millions. Much like Tom cruise. And these guys sacrifice their bodies. Ever seen an older former nfl player? They can barely move.

I agree that pro athletes sound whiny often but those that make valid points, well, I get it. Owners are making just silly money.
Cruise salary for ghost protocol was only 12mil.... And Mission Impossible will be around long after nfl films forgets about leveon bell

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude, these aren't coal miners fighting for better conditions, more pay, health benefits, etc. These are multimillionaires some of whom are too stupid to have this amount of money. I mean, how many times have you heard of an athlete making tens of millions of dollars during his career and end up broke? That level of stupidity takes a certain level of skill.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I put my life on the line every day protecting the public in an industry who's average life expectancy is 58 and has the highest rate of suicide for any profession. I haven't had a new contract in 3 1/2 years, haven't received my promised yearly raise in that same time period and have received a 1% contracted raise since 2011. Not only do I not whine about it to anyone who would listen, I don't have the luxury of being able to sit home and hold out until my employers bend to my will. If I tried that, I'd be unemployed. Not to mention that I am supposed to keep up my uniform and equipment and buy new uniforms, boots, etc. whenever the need arises so excuse me if I don't feel a damned bit of sympathy for these spoiled self entitled players who "put their bodies on the line". Just like in my line of work, no one put a gun to their heads and they are free to find employment elsewhere if they're unhappy playing football. Oh, I also didn't receive a free college education complete with a degree so I might have something to fall back on.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t recall a player that has ever been franchised in b2b years and regretted it. That’s an insane amount of guaranteed money.
Didn't Washington franchise Cousins in back to back years and paid him far more than what he's really worth?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I put my life on the line every day protecting the public in an industry who's average life expectancy is 58 and has the highest rate of suicide for any profession. I haven't had a new contract in 3 1/2 years, haven't received my promised yearly raise in that same time period and have received a 1% contracted raise since 2011. Not only do I not whine about it to anyone who would listen, I don't have the luxury of being able to sit home and hold out until my employers bend to my will. If I tried that, I'd be unemployed. Not to mention that I am supposed to keep up my uniform and equipment and buy new uniforms, boots, etc. whenever the need arises so excuse me if I don't feel a damned bit of sympathy for these spoiled self entitled players who "put their bodies on the line". Just like in my line of work, no one put a gun to their heads and they are free to find employment elsewhere if they're unhappy playing football. Oh, I also didn't receive a free college education complete with a degree so I might have something to fall back on.

Life simply isn't fair at times. I wish I had better athleticism or could sing or create art or be an Einstein. Doesn't mean I hate those who do have those gifts or begrudge them getting the most out of those abilities. I do add the caveat that as long as it doesn't do harm to others.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's your fault. You can't sit here and tell me if you had a way to put pressure on your employer to make life better for you,your brothers and your families you wouldn't do it. Of course you would only a fool wouldn't. I assume your a police officer? I thought you guys had a strong union?

Don't get mad at them because they can. They actually are fighting for safer work conditions and health benefits. It's actually a fight that's been going on for awhile hell there's a Will Smith movie about it.

I just watched the 30 for 30 on one of my all time favorite players Junior Seau and it was heart breaking. Men are shooting themselves in the heart and leaving suicide notes asking to have there Brain studied because they can't deal with what's going on in there head.

Do you understand what your actually watching on Sunday's? It's not natural.

I don't blame anyone of these guys get all you can while you can cause that Ryan Shazier injury might be around the corner you never know.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude, these aren't coal miners fighting for better conditions, more pay, health benefits, etc. These are multimillionaires some of whom are too stupid to have this amount of money. I mean, how many times have you heard of an athlete making tens of millions of dollars during his career and end up broke? That level of stupidity takes a certain level of skill.

Honestly you sound super biter and angry towards these men I wonder why you even watch if you think so little of them.

Plenty of pro athletes who are smart and have made great choices and Bell seems to be one that knows his worth.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Its more situational. Not sure why anyone would side 100% for or against either side.

My take:

Earl is wrong in his position based on the numbers/facts (pro management)
Le'Veon Bell does not have a contract and can sit out if he wants to (pro player)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its more situational. Not sure why anyone would side 100% for or against either side.

My take:

Earl is wrong in his position based on the numbers/facts (pro management)
Le'Veon Bell does not have a contract and can sit out if he wants to (pro player)

Yeah i get it. Nothing is ever really black and white.

Reaction score
I put my life on the line every day protecting the public in an industry who's average life expectancy is 58 and has the highest rate of suicide for any profession.

This simply isn't true.

The CDC's occupational suicide list:

1. Farmworkers, fishermen, lumberjacks, others in forestry or agriculture (85 suicides per 100,000)

2. Carpenters, miners, electricians, construction trades (53)

3. Mechanics and those who do installation, maintenance, repair (48)

4. Factory and production workers (35)

5. Architects, engineers (32)

6. Police, firefighters, corrections workers, others in protective services (31)

7. Artists, designers, entertainers, athletes, media (24)

8. Computer programmers, mathematicians, statisticians (23)

9. Transportation workers (22)

10. Corporate executives and managers, advertising and public relations (20)

11. Lawyers and workers in legal system (19)

12. Doctors, dentists and other health care professionals (19)

13. Scientists and lab technicians (17)

14. Accountants, others in business, financial operations (16)

15. Nursing, medical assistants, health care support (15)

16. Clergy, social workers, other social service workers (14)

17. Real estate agents, telemarketers, sales (13)

18. Building and ground, cleaning, maintenance (13)

19. Cooks, food service workers (13)

20. Child care workers, barbers, animal trainers, personal care and service (8)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn