OT: Chargers Staying in SD for 2016

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
What's the over/under on average attendance next season? Five? Six?

USAFMEDIC

Veteran
Reaction score
I read the letter Spanos wrote. He was very appreciative of San Diego fans, and says he wants to make it work. He cited the 55 year history there. I hope he does. I also hope the Raiders move into Inglewood and take over L.A. Call it karma. Arizona will never have to worry about this stuff, which makes me very happy.

USAFMEDIC

Veteran
Reaction score
http://www.chargers.com/news/2016/01/29/statement-dean-spanos

Statement from Dean Spanos

Friday, January 29, 2016 2:44 PM PST

Dear Chargers Fans,

Today I decided our team will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season and I hope for the long term in a new stadium.

I have met with Mayor Faulconer and Supervisor Roberts and I look forward to working closely with them and the business community to resolve our stadium dilemma. We have an option and an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams to go to Inglewood in the next year, but my focus is on San Diego.

This has been our home for 55 years, and I want to keep the team here and provide the world-class stadium experience you deserve.

Everyone on both sides of the table in San Diego must now determine the best next steps and how to deploy the additional resources provided by the NFL.

I am committed to looking at this with a fresh perspective and new sense of possibility.

With deep appreciation for your years of support,

Dean A. Spanos

Chairman

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to see the Chargers stay in San Diego. The NFL needs to step in and help to make the new stadium work.

And it sounds like they are doing that.

As the Chargers execute a win-win, guilt-cleansing strategy aimed at getting them the stadium they want in San Diego or Los Angeles, the NFL has reminded the powers-that-be in San Diego of the contribution the NFL is willing to make to get a stadium built in the team’s home since 1961.

“We are very supportive of the decision by Dean Spanos to continue his efforts in San Diego and work with local leaders to develop a permanent stadium solution,” Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement posted at the team’s official website. “NFL ownership has committed $300 million to assist in the cost of building a new stadium in San Diego. I have pledged the league’s full support in helping Dean to fulfill his goal.”

Link

Last edited:

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
LA does not need two teams.

LA is going to have two teams....regardless of whether the Chargers can make it work in San Diego long term. If they can, the Raiders have the option to move and they will move. They have an even worse stadium situation and the city of Oakland is not going to lift a finger to help them.

One of those teams will be in LA. Book it.

USAFMEDIC

Veteran
Reaction score
Kroenke's worst nightmare is the Raiders moving to Inglewood. We will see who owns the market there...

USAFMEDIC

Veteran
Reaction score
I think SD will turn out this year. Last year they were looking at the team leaving. Unlike St Louis, they have an owner talking to the city. Hard to invest time and energy into something you might be losing soon.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Chargers have also reached an agreement to move in with the Rams. The cards are on the table. Spanos has managed to make the City responsible for losing the team.

OP
OP
P

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Chargers have also reached an agreement to move in with the Rams. The cards are on the table. Spanos has managed to make the City responsible for losing the team.

Yeah, amazing how the NFL has both restocked the LA market (Rams) and kept it open so that the Chargers & Raiders can use it as a way to leverage a stadium. :bang:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And I thought we had it bad when any midwestern team is in town. That's brutal.

When the Chargers continuously put subpar product on the field, they also get subpar attendance.

Not to mention that Qualcolm is a dump and that some people are geniuinely scared to go to games because they think that place can come crashing down any second.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Interesting that Spanos buys land in Orange County to build a practice facility and headquarters and THEN announces he's staying in SD this season.

IMO this all but confirms that their gone after next season.

OP
OP
P

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Interesting that Spanos buys land in Orange County to build a practice facility and headquarters and THEN announces he's staying in SD this season.

Agreed.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep, gives the San Diegoins a small glimmer of hope by staying 1 more year in SD

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Two teams can't play in LA at the same time in the old stadium because of USC so they're stuck staying another year.

IMO no one should show up.