OT-Boldin in the poorhouse

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Players play a war zone type of game every sunday. They should get paid accordingly. The low end is higher than most people make in 5 years work. However, if you get paid for playing this war every sunday, shouldn't our soldiers who are putting up their lives everyday make as much? Players who complain that it's not a lot of money they make for their skill sets, should give half their money to our kids fighting so they can play!

Yes, yes, yes and furthermore yes.

If an athlete playing in a "war zone" once a week, as some have stupidly put it (not you personally), deserves more than they're getting paid, those who actually LIVE in a war zone defending our rights deserve that and then some.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't. It's all implied. Does he not think that most of the public that helps pay his salary do not know how taxes work? We all have taxes taken out of our check just like he does.

'If you get a $10 million contract, you might get a little bit more than half of that after taxes. I think that's a big misconception among fans'

Yeah, we know that. Anyone who just got their first paycheck at McDonalds could tell you that taxes are going to be taken out. It's insulting. Fans don't care if you pocket 5 million or 10 million, it's still MILLIONS.

Since he failed to link the article I will:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-qa-0929-20100928,0,6546636.story

As you can see he stated this in relation to his rookie year and his welcome to the NFL moment: "It was more about people hearing that you're in the NFL and think that you have all this money, which is untrue. Everybody comes out of the woodwork then."

Of course at the time he was playing under a rookie contract and he was obviously shocked IMO by the people coming gout of the woodwork looking for a handout. That's how I read it.

In the next paragraph he simply explains how much you actually get out of a big contract. (after being questioned about it) No biggie. While most people understand you pay taxes they don't understand the amount that guys like Q and others pay. Very few people realize the tax bracket they are in. granted it is still millions. But nowhere in there is he complaining in anyway shape or form. He just said its a misconception. Which it probably is especially in the neighborhood he grew up in.

What would you prefer him to say? "No comment" :shrug:

Sounds lie you guys are just looking for something to hate on to me.

On that note check this out: http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-anquan-boldin-under-armour-0927,0,1873224.story

:D

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've seen this in everything from lotto winners to rappers. Even some trustafarians that get their $ at age 18-21. The "new money people" just do not comprehend how much money they have gotten until its pretty much gone. Then the hindsight 20/20 depression hits, and after that they become one of the smarter more humble folks that walk this planet.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of things:

1. Boldin isn't saying HE'S not making his, he's pointing out that there are guys that are killing themselves (literally) for $350K. Yes, that's a lot of money, but his point is that not everyone is set for life because they play in the NFL.

2. Someone in the NFL PR department should have memos going out multiple times a year to remind players not to talk about money. It looks bad, even though Boldin's point is a valid one, IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since he failed to link the article I will:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-qa-0929-20100928,0,6546636.story

As you can see he stated this in relation to his rookie year and his welcome to the NFL moment: "It was more about people hearing that you're in the NFL and think that you have all this money, which is untrue. Everybody comes out of the woodwork then."

Of course at the time he was playing under a rookie contract and he was obviously shocked IMO by the people coming gout of the woodwork looking for a handout. That's how I read it.

In the next paragraph he simply explains how much you actually get out of a big contract. (after being questioned about it) No biggie. While most people understand you pay taxes they don't understand the amount that guys like Q and others pay. Very few people realize the tax bracket they are in. granted it is still millions. But nowhere in there is he complaining in anyway shape or form. He just said its a misconception. Which it probably is especially in the neighborhood he grew up in.

What would you prefer him to say? "No comment" :shrug:

Sounds lie you guys are just looking for something to hate on to me.

On that note check this out: http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-anquan-boldin-under-armour-0927,0,1873224.story

:D

The only problem I have is the quote I bolded. The question was about public perception and he went to say, 'If you get a $10 million contract, you might get a little bit more than half of that after taxes. I think that's a big misconception among fans' I can't think of one fan that thinks that way. If I make $50k per year, I don't expect to receive a check for $50k per year. There are taxes that are taken out, and the higher tax bracket the more that gets paid. He didn't continue to use the $350k a year example, he went to 10M.

Without getting too much more P&R, I grew up in some of the poorest neighborhoods around. Even in that demographic, there are a lot of people that play the lottery. I guarantee you that a large majority of them knows that if you won the PowerBall jackpot, that half of the winnings would be taken out if you took the lump sum payment.

It flat out was a dumb thing to say. I'm not hating on you, or Boldin, just the quote. If it would have been Fitz, I would have been just as angry.

If I were him, I would have kept the answer as short as possible. It's almost a gotcha moment. No matter what he says, won't sound right.

Last edited:

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
During the 1950's it was 91% today Fed taxes 31% I believe.

Bobcat

Don't forget it's an incremental tax. He's pays the same amount of tax as you and I do on the initial amount of money WE make.

It's just that from about $300k - $10M, he pays 31%.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Boldin didn't have time to celebrate after the NFC Championship game. He had a second job to get to.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Q - Waaaa, booo hoooo, I make a lot of money, but not as much as people think. People don't understand how much I pay in taxes.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Q - Waaaa, booo hoooo, I make a lot of money, but not as much as people think. People don't understand how much I pay in taxes.

So that Denny McClain "Make Money at Home" Kit worked out for you?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

So that Denny McClain "Make Money at Home" Kit worked out for you?

safe.gif

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of things:

1. Boldin isn't saying HE'S not making his, he's pointing out that there are guys that are killing themselves (literally) for $350K. Yes, that's a lot of money, but his point is that not everyone is set for life because they play in the NFL.

Set for life .. no, but even NFL minimum is vastly better that most fans ever see

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
man I would love to be making 350k a year just to be a scrub pratice player I wouldn't be complaining :).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man I would love to be making 350k a year just to be a scrub pratice player I wouldn't be complaining :).

Not me. When you factor in the taxes and the costs of representation and the damage you're doing to your body there's no way I'd do that job. Also, when you become part of a lifestyle it's difficult to not live up to that lifestyle. It's not just in sports either.

I didn't think Q's comments came across as whining in the first place but why do people so often rail on the exorbitant sports salaries and ignore the huge paychecks that actors get?

Steve

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not me. When you factor in the taxes and the costs of representation and the damage you're doing to your body there's no way I'd do that job. Also, when you become part of a lifestyle it's difficult to not live up to that lifestyle. It's not just in sports either.

I didn't think Q's comments came across as whining in the first place but why do people so often rail on the exorbitant sports salaries and ignore the huge paychecks that actors get?

Steve

Me me me. I'd wager a large percentage of these people are doing something that they absolutely love. Most people never do that. To be paid handsomely at the same time? Sign me up.

Besides, these minimum salary players do NOT take the beating that players like Q and other millionaires in the NFL do.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me me me. I'd wager a large percentage of these people are doing something that they absolutely love. Most people never do that. To be paid handsomely at the same time? Sign me up.

Besides, these minimum salary players do NOT take the beating that players like Q and other millionaires in the NFL do.

Maybe.

One special teams hit is the equivolent of several regular hits, everyone is full steam and smashing each other.

With that said, id rather risk my body for 350k a year than risk my sanity for 50k a year.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I'm not certain what that word means but I suspect it's something malodorous.

Steve

It is.. It is... :)

Oh and as for complaining about the actors/actresses and the wages they have-- preaching to the choir bud.. Preaching to the choir.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard