OT: 2024 NFL Draft Rumors

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I started with ESPN and I can't quit them. I've tried to watch NFL Networks coverage but I just can't. So basically I'm locked in to ESPN.

Edit:
Obviously that was long before NFL Network existed.
Wisconsin, I see where you're coming from, and since you are a Cardinals fan, I know loyalty is very important to you. But, my point was that I would only be switching channels in order to avoid commercials. As to which channel I'll watch will be determined by which 'guys' are on the various channels. Following Monti's lead, it will be a game time decision.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Wisconsin, I see where you're coming from, and since you are a Cardinals fan, I know loyalty is very important to you. But, my point was that I would only be switching channels in order to avoid commercials. As to which channel I'll watch will be determined by which 'guys' are on the various channels. Following Monti's lead, it will be a game time decision.
I use Picture in Picture.......ok that's my contribution to the discussion lol

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Zing!

Hey Arizona Cardinals, that's the most stealthy troll of all time right there! lol

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started with ESPN and I can't quit them. I've tried to watch NFL Networks coverage but I just can't. So basically I'm locked in to ESPN.

Edit:
Obviously that was long before NFL Network existed.

My issue with ESPN is with Chris Mortensen's passing and Molly McGrath's firing, they will look very different this year. Here are the three options:

ESPN's crew: Greenberg, Louis Riddick, Booger McFarland, Schefter, Kiper, Molly McGrath.

ABC: Rece Davis, Herbstreit, Desmond Howard, Nick Saban (???), Pete Thamel, Field Yates, and Laura Rutledge.

NFL Network: Rich Eisen, Charles Davis, Joe Klatt, Warner, Schrager, Daniel Jeremiah, Kaylee Hartung. They will also have team reporters for Arizona, Giants, Washington, Chicago, and Detroit.

The NFL Network crew now just looks stronger than ESPN, especially Rich Eisen over Greenberg. I love that we are one of the 5 teams that get's it's own reporter

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I don’t like NFLN incest, meaning whomever joins their club, gets in the hof, whether other quieter guys are more deserving on the field. They stay very slanted on east coast bias and their old teams.
They direct the NFL conversation, and I don’t agree with their direction.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My issue with ESPN is with Chris Mortensen's passing and Molly McGrath's firing, they will look very different this year. Here are the three options:

ESPN's crew: Greenberg, Louis Riddick, Booger McFarland, Schefter, Kiper, Molly McGrath.

ABC: Rece Davis, Herbstreit, Desmond Howard, Nick Saban (???), Pete Thamel, Field Yates, and Laura Rutledge.

NFL Network: Rich Eisen, Charles Davis, Joe Klatt, Warner, Schrager, Daniel Jeremiah, Kaylee Hartung. They will also have team reporters for Arizona, Giants, Washington, Chicago, and Detroit.

The NFL Network crew now just looks stronger than ESPN, especially Rich Eisen over Greenberg. I love that we are one of the 5 teams that get's it's own reporter
Who is the Cardinals reporter?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Yeah. Omar Ruiz from NFLN is already reporting from AZ while ESPN is ghosting us. I'm switching over to NFLN coverage this year.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Man you are so right about NFL having a much better line up. I always said I would not switch but this might be the year I have to give it a try

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You ain't never lied. This new format is so anti-climactic.
@Stout Remember the good old days? You and I had a good ol time when you came to Philly! Saturday, all day. One of my favorite memories from when I moved into my house. If you were close, I'd tell you to swing by again for old time sakes! LMAO! I'm actually having my crew over for the draft/Sixers game. Sheeez. Might have to take off on Friday now that I think about it!

:D

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
From Charles Robinson Yahoo Sports:

"Contrary to a vast amount of projection since March 15 — when the Minnesota Vikings dealt for the Houston Texans’ No. 23 overall pick — there is a growing consensus among NFL teams that McCarthy is not the primary target in a potential trade-up for the Vikings. Instead, it’s believed Minnesota’s top target is Maye. He has a connection with quarterbacks coach Josh McCown, who coached Maye in high school. The potential complication for the Vikings is how the quarterback stack falls at the top of the draft."

"There’s also a twist in all of this. A very well-connected league source told Yahoo Sports they firmly believe that if the Patriots take Maye, the Vikings are comfortable standing down in trade talks and using one of their two first-round picks — either No. 11 or No. 23 — to select Oregon quarterback Bo Nix. It’s worth noting here that Nix had a private workout for the Vikings earlier this month."

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
@Stout Remember the good old days? You and I had a good ol time when you came to Philly! Saturday, all day. One of my favorite memories from when I moved into my house. If you were close, I'd tell you to swing by again for old time sakes! LMAO! I'm actually having my crew over for the draft/Sixers game. Sheeez. Might have to take off on Friday now that I think about it!

:D
Man, that was an absolute blast! I can't remember the exact year (I know the range) or who we drafted, but I remember the welcome and the hanging out and the brotherhood, the bonding as Cards fans. If I was out your way and it wasn't middle of the week, I'd be there! And I can't take any call offs because I'm starting with a new boss tomorrow, dang it!

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw this info about MHJ in a Cbs Sports Nfl insider article from today:

"Two of the best interviews throughout the pre-draft process were Harrison and quarterback J.J. McCarthy.

Harrison can immediately go to a team without a veteran in the receivers room and be the leader. That's how impressive he was in meetings with teams I've spoken to."

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
From Charles Robinson Yahoo Sports:

"Contrary to a vast amount of projection since March 15 — when the Minnesota Vikings dealt for the Houston Texans’ No. 23 overall pick — there is a growing consensus among NFL teams that McCarthy is not the primary target in a potential trade-up for the Vikings. Instead, it’s believed Minnesota’s top target is Maye. He has a connection with quarterbacks coach Josh McCown, who coached Maye in high school. The potential complication for the Vikings is how the quarterback stack falls at the top of the draft."

"There’s also a twist in all of this. A very well-connected league source told Yahoo Sports they firmly believe that if the Patriots take Maye, the Vikings are comfortable standing down in trade talks and using one of their two first-round picks — either No. 11 or No. 23 — to select Oregon quarterback Bo Nix. It’s worth noting here that Nix had a private workout for the Vikings earlier this month."

I mean as soon as they hired McCown we all knew their target was Maye right?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So current speculation is no Giants or Vikings trading up. My main worry now for missing MHJ is the Raiders doing something spectacularly dumb.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
So current speculation is no Giants or Vikings trading up. My main worry now for missing MHJ is the Raiders doing something spectacularly dumb.
Yup this is great news if true. The trade market drying up means we are more likely to stay put.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I found this article quite informative

The NFL’s Draft’s ‘secret round’

In 2023, 194 Week 1 starters — almost 28% — were drafted in the first round of their respective drafts. Another 143 starters, or roughly 20%, were drafted in the second round, and another 107, or about 15%, were taken in the third round. In other words, picks in the top three rounds made up nearly two-thirds of all NFL lineups in 2023.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I no longer worry about Monti trading out of the Four slot and missing out on MHJ, because I believe he's a smart GM and knows that the Draft is not just about selecting players. It's also about selecting players who will sell tickets. And MHJ will do just that. So, my worry is that NE either through a trade or by their own decision will take him. And, what's the use of being a Cardinals' fan if you go into a Draft without having something to worry about.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

In 2023, 194 Week 1 starters — almost 28% — were drafted in the first round of their respective drafts. Another 143 starters, or roughly 20%, were drafted in the second round, and another 107, or about 15%, were taken in the third round. In other words, picks in the top three rounds made up nearly two-thirds of all NFL lineups in 2023.
Big if true

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Great information, CN!

I find this interesting. It shows the hits and misses from the first round from 2000-2019. A hit is defined as someone getting a second contract with the team that drafted him.

You must be registered for see images attach