OT: 2024 NFL Draft Rumors

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
Speaking of QBs

Mike Tannenbaum, ESPN Mock draft

4. Arizona Cardinals

J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

Look, QB availability is crucial in today's NFL -- 66 passers started at least one game last season -- and Kyler Murray hasn't played a full season since 2020. I really like McCarthy's long-term upside. The 21-year-old averaged 9 yards per attempt and completed 72.3% of his throws last season, and he bulked up to 219 pounds at the combine. In short, I think he's a better, younger and more durable quarterback than Murray right now, and I'm not passing up this chance.

You might point to Murray's contract (which includes $35.3 million guaranteed for 2024 and $29.9 million guaranteed for 2025), but teams routinely eat substantial dead money these days for a better opportunity at the position. And besides, I think the Cardinals could get a first-round pick back in exchange for him -- stay tuned there, I might have something up my sleeve.

Mock projected trade: Vikings address their QB issue

Cardinals get: No. 11
Vikings get: QB Kyler Murray and No. 66 (third round)

I drafted J.J. McCarthy at No. 4 to take over under center for Arizona, so Murray becomes a trade candidate and Minnesota is still searching for QB answers after missing out on the top four passers in the class. I don't love the scheme fit for Oregon's Bo Nix in Minnesota, and it's too early for Washington's Michael Penix Jr.

So here's my proposition to clear some cap space for the Cards, officially start the McCarthy era in Arizona and fix the Vikings' QB issue. In my mind, the No. 11 pick for Murray straight up is too rich, and No. 23 -- Minnesota's other first-rounder -- on its own is not enough. So I'm attaching that third-rounder to the No. 11 pick to level this out. It's similar to what the Cardinals did during the 2022 draft, when they traded their first-round pick (No. 23) to Baltimore for receiver Marquise Brown and a third-rounder.

From the Vikings' standpoint, everything I said earlier about Murray's durability still matters, but he's cheaper and younger than Kirk Cousins would have been to re-sign and gives them a chance to compete this season rather than rebuild.

11. Arizona Cardinals (via mock trade with MIN)

Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

Mitchell had an outstanding combine, running a 4.33 in the 40, jumping 38 inches in the vert and posting a 10-foot-2 broad jump. I was also impressed with his Senior Bowl practice week. Mitchell has standout man-to-man skills and the ideal 6-foot-1 size to play outside corner. His ball production is elite, with 39 pass breakups and six interceptions over his time in college. Arizona signed Sean Murphy-Bunting, but this team struggled on defense (specifically against the pass) last season and needs more. The Cards gave up a staggering 7.6 yards per pass attempt (27th). Pairing Mitchell with Murphy-Bunting would make for a much-needed upgrade to the Cardinals' secondary.

We really have to put up with this for another month, huh?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He whiffs on getting MHJ/Odunze when he's in a perfect position to draft one of them, that's the reason not to.
He played the board how he wanted to last year and got the player he wanted along with the draft capital. I think the odds are that he would do that again, are better than if he didn't.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If cards org comes to the conclusion that MHJ is a generational talent and still decides to trade out it’s a mistake no matter how you spin it IMO
I don't think that they will do both. They either decide he isn't and trade out, or they draft him because he is.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we trade down to 11 would love to trade up a few spots for odunze and then get latu some how those 2 players scream Monti ossenfort dudes. I am dreamin here but then get newton and the Kansas state guard. Wow there would be dancing in the streets
I would say that there are a few good options left in the FA WR market as well that will be decided after the draft plays out.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
IMO you either have trust/faith in the GM or not. I didn't have faith in Keim at all, so I wanted him to always choose the BPA.

I'd say the Cards are a better team/in a better position with the trade last year than we would have been without.

I'm at the place where I will trust the GM, until he gives enough reason not to.
What's he done to give you confidence? He's added zero significant talent through free agency, passed on the DROY in last year's draft, cost the team a draft pick for tampering, and it's looking like he's willing to pass on getting the best player in the draft at #4 who happens to play a position of huge need. Other than not being Steve Keim, I don't see the reason for optimism.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's he done to give you confidence? He's added zero significant talent through free agency, passed on the DROY in last year's draft,
He has added real talent/depth to this team in free agency. I don't think there should be debate on that one. While I would have liked to have seen a top 10 FA come here, the track record of spending big on FA the past 5 years hasn't worked very well for any team.

cost the team a draft pick for tampering,
He cost his team a SWAP of a pick, not the full pick itself. It is a big difference that is often overlooked.

Not that it is an excuse, it shouldn't have happened at all. It was for their our head coach though, which appears at least after year one the right move.
and it's looking like he's willing to pass on getting the best player in the draft at #4 who happens to play a position of huge need.
I still believe that he drafts MHJ and have said that openly. There's a debate on whether Marvin is the best player in the draft. Hell, there is speculation that he isn't the best WR in the draft. (which I am not on the side of)
Other than not being Steve Keim, I don't see the reason for optimism.
We discussed this before and I gave me reasons. I don't think either of us will change our mind at this time.

602 Native

Reaction score
What's he done to give you confidence? He's added zero significant talent through free agency, passed on the DROY in last year's draft, cost the team a draft pick for tampering, and it's looking like he's willing to pass on getting the best player in the draft at #4 who happens to play a position of huge need. Other than not being Steve Keim, I don't see the reason for optimism.
No should have faith in MO or JG.
They haven't proven anything yet.
Lets see how this year plays out because it is a big one.

602 Native

Reaction score
Yay, somebody telling people what they feel They should have faith in. Lol
Sorry I am not there with you all. MO passed on the best defensive player in the draft last season. That is not inspiring as a fan.

I will wait to see how he does considering the track record of the franchise here in AZ.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
He has added real talent/depth to this team in free agency. I don't think there should be debate on that one. While I would have liked to have seen a top 10 FA come here, the track record of spending big on FA the past 5 years hasn't worked very well for any team.
I don't see this at all. He's added depth players and will use them as starters because this team is lacking in starting material. The only starting level player he has added is Jonah Williams. The DT's are backup/rotational type guys. The CB is not a starter on a good team. I'm not a big Marquise Brown fan but I find it interesting the SB champs deemed him worthy of an 11 mill contract and the Cards let him walk from a position of need with plenty of cap space.
I wasn't expecting a top 10 FA, but there were many starting caliber players available that didn't break the bank. Instead, Monti went dumpster diving and many are happy with the results.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see this at all. He's added depth players and will use them as starters because this team is lacking in starting material. The only starting level player he has added is Jonah Williams. The DT's are backup/rotational type guys.
We were playing 3rd string players or players that belong on the practice squad before at DT and we upgraded the position. Are you saying we aren't better at DT than we were at the start of the offseason.
The CB is not a starter on a good team.
We aren't a good team. Bunting is still an improvement in our CB room.
I'm not a big Marquise Brown fan but I find it interesting the SB champs deemed him worthy of an 11 mill contract and the Cards let him walk from a position of need with plenty of cap space.
I'm not the biggest fan either and not signing him makes that part of the roster worse. If I have an option to sign an 11M contract with the Cards or the Chiefs, I know which one I would, and just about every one would pick. Hollywood signed a 1 year deal to reset his value. There aren't many better places in all of the NFL than to do that with the Chiefs.

At the same time, he jettisoned D-Hop out of this team which hurt the position, but ultimately seems like the right move. It isn't exactly like D-Hop lit up the league outside of a game or two last year.
I wasn't expecting a top 10 FA, but there were many starting caliber players available that didn't break the bank. Instead, Monti went dumpster diving and many are happy with the results.
Mischaracterization at best.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ben Standig of The Athletic posted a mock draft yesterday that I would like:

1. Chicago Bears (from CAR): Caleb Williams, QB, USC
2. Washington Commanders: Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU
3. New England Patriots: J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

4. Minnesota Vikings (from ARI*): Drake Maye, QB, UNC
Projected trade: Vikings acquire Nos. 4, 138 and 162 from Cardinals for Nos. 11, 23, 108 and a 2025 first-rounder

5. Los Angeles Chargers: Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State
6. New York Giants: Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
7. Tennessee Titans: Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame
8. Atlanta Falcons: Dallas Turner, LB, Alabama

9. Arizona Cardinals (from CHI*): Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
Projected trade: Cardinals acquire No. 9 from Bears for Nos. 11 and 71

General manager Monti Ossenfort said he was “open” for business at No. 4. We’ll assume the desire to deal extends anywhere on Day 1. With 11 picks entering the draft, tied for the most in the league, plus more from the trade with Minnesota, the Cardinals have the assets to move around the board as needed. Arizona jumps up for the 6-foot-3 Odunze, who The Athletic’s Dane Brugler believes “has the pass-catching instincts and competitive focus to be a high-end NFL starter.”

23. Arizona Cardinals (from MIN*): Jackson Powers-Johnson, OL, Oregon
The Cardinals’ second of three first-round selections is Powers-Johnson, who was honored with the Rimington Award as the nation’s best center. Whether he plays center or guard in Year 1, the offensive lineman should be a longtime fixture for Arizona.

27. Arizona Cardinals (from HOU): Darius Robinson, DE, Missouri
A boost for the defense after back-to-back selections for the offense. This work-in-progress has scary athletic traits coming off the edge with enough size to play on the inside at times.
I'm sure in this scenario the Cards would not accept the trade down to #12 without already having the trade back up to #9 agreed to. But we'd all be sweating picks #6-#8!

[Edited to add the Cards' projected picks at #23 and #27 -dbs]

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
We were playing 3rd string players or players that belong on the practice squad before at DT and we upgraded the position. Are you saying we aren't better at DT than we were at the start of the offseason.

We aren't a good team. Bunting is still an improvement in our CB room.

I'm not the biggest fan either and not signing him makes that part of the roster worse. If I have an option to sign an 11M contract with the Cards or the Chiefs, I know which one I would, and just about every one would pick. Hollywood signed a 1 year deal to reset his value. There aren't many better places in all of the NFL than to do that with the Chiefs.

At the same time, he jettisoned D-Hop out of this team which hurt the position, but ultimately seems like the right move. It isn't exactly like D-Hop lit up the league outside of a game or two last year.

Mischaracterization at best.
I guess, technically you're right. We've gone from 3rd string players to 2nd string players. Yippee.
Guess I was hoping for starting caliber players. Crazy talk.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess, technically you're right. We've gone from 3rd string players to 2nd string players. Yippee.
Guess I was hoping for starting caliber players. Crazy talk.
How many starters did you expect this free agency? We got 2 in Jonah and Bunting, and you could easily argue another one of the DTs. That would be 3.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Ben Standig of The Athletic posted a mock draft today that I would like:

I'm sure in this scenario the Cards would not accept the trade down to #12 without already having the trade back up to #9 agreed to. But we'd all be sweating picks #6-#8!
I would hate that trade and scenario. I look at this way. How often do you get a chance to draft the best prospect in the draft at draft position 4? And, yes, Harrison is the best football player prospect in the draft regardless of what these mock draft sites are trying to say this time of year.
Then you're going to pass on that opportunity and hope the draft falls your way and you trade back up for a lesser prospect. All the while you already have 6 of the top 100 picks at your disposal.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
How many starters did you expect this free agency? We got 2 in Jonah and Bunting, and you could easily argue another one of the DTs. That would be 3.
I guess where we are differing are Cardinals starting caliber, due to their lack of talent, and legit NFL starting caliber players. Yes, the Cards added starters to THIS roster. Those guys, sans Williams, aren't starting on most teams.