Opposing fans

Ragnar

Veteran
Reaction score
Yep,it’s really frustrating for Cardinal fans when people who have lived in our beautiful state for years still hang on to their allegences to the teams from states they deemed to leave years ago……

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep,it’s really frustrating for Cardinal fans when people who have lived in our beautiful state for years still hang on to their allegences to the teams from states they deemed to leave years ago……
Nah I don’t believe that. Normal people imo don’t just switch team allegiance just because they change their location.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frustrating is the last word I would use. If I moved to another state, I might root for that states team too but I would still be a cardinals fan. The funniest ones are the people born in arizona that are 49er fans or etc when they were never even there.

But...really...who cares

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
we tend to think this is an Arizona/Phoenix specific issue (Bickley agonizes over this), but this phenomenon is true across the sunbelt / south

Falcons, Jags, Titans, Texans, Dolphins, Panthers, Chargers all have lots of games vs teams from "departure locations" where there are tons of opposing fans

Phoenix metro for the past 10 years has been a top 3 destination for northern California exits.

I think the Cards have a ticket issue they have to address: when the new stadium opened, they allowed brokers to buy blocks of season tickets in order to sell out. i think they have to proactively weed those buyers out going forward --

HammerCards

Veteran
Reaction score
Frustrating is the last word I would use. If I moved to another state, I might root for that states team too but I would still be a cardinals fan. The funniest ones are the people born in arizona that are 49er fans or etc when they were never even there.

But...really...who cares
yep

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we tend to think this is an Arizona/Phoenix specific issue (Bickley agonizes over this), but this phenomenon is true across the sunbelt / south

Falcons, Jags, Titans, Texans, Dolphins, Panthers, Chargers all have lots of games vs teams from "departure locations" where there are tons of opposing fans

Phoenix metro for the past 10 years has been a top 3 destination for northern California exits.

I think the Cards have a ticket issue they have to address: when the new stadium opened, they allowed brokers to buy blocks of season tickets in order to sell out. i think they have to proactively weed those buyers out going forward --
This is 100% the reason we see so many opposing fans in the stadium. I had season tickets for years and I could tell you with seats near me were broker tickets.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not an AZ specific problem. I remember seeing Steelers at Lambeau field playing the Packers. And you could literally see 30-40K terrible towels In That stadium and it was loud when the Steelers scored.

It actually shocked me because the packers have never moved and don’t have an area full of transplants with a population hovering around 100k. Or lots of brokers. The tickets have been in families for generations.

The problem is you have traveling Steeler fans willing to pay 4 to 5 to 6 times face value for tickets. So the Packer fans have no problem selling for profit. Frankly at that level of profit I don’t blame them nor do I care.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying. However, I spent the first half of my life in Northern California and,so far, the second half of my life in Southern California. By this logic I should’ve either been a Niners and/or Rams fan. To that I say: hell no!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SFS will be full of red on Sunday. Unfortunately, a lot of that red will be 49ers fans. It's not all about the ticket brokers. There are plenty of hometown fans who sell their tickets (whether we are winning or losing) to opposing fan bases nearly every single game. Maybe they have gardening to do, or it's their anniversary ;) , or they just want to watch the game on their big-screen TV at home, but for whatever reason, they'd rather not be at the game.

It's frustrating for those of us that do go to see the noise level go up when we have the ball on offense or to be up on the concourse getting food/drink or running for a bathroom break and hearing the crowd erupt favorably and not knowing immediately which team did something. Maybe someday long in the future, we'll actually have a true home crowd.

Each year we (my wife and I) can't wait for the schedule to come out so we know to mark off those 10 dates on the calendar - preseason and regular-season games. We already paid to be there and nothing gets in the way of that.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
SFS will be full of red on Sunday. Unfortunately, a lot of that red will be 49ers fans. It's not all about the ticket brokers. There are plenty of hometown fans who sell their tickets (whether we are winning or losing) to opposing fan bases nearly every single game. Maybe they have gardening to do, or it's their anniversary ;) , or they just want to watch the game on their big-screen TV at home, but for whatever reason, they'd rather not be at the game.

It's frustrating for those of us that do go to see the noise level go up when we have the ball on offense or to be up on the concourse getting food/drink or running for a bathroom break and hearing the crowd erupt favorably and not knowing immediately which team did something. Maybe someday long in the future, we'll actually have a true home crowd.

Each year we (my wife and I) can't wait for the schedule to come out so we know to mark off those 10 dates on the calendar - preseason and regular-season games. We already paid to be there and nothing gets in the way of that.

You guys think that the location of the stadium has anything to do with this?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to move to Washington I would take public execution over being a Seahawks fan. At this point, i know it wouldn't matter where I moved and lived another 50 years. Cardinals all the way.

I switched from Chiefs to Cardinals after seeing a few Cards game in.the first season. But I never lived by KC. I had never seen an NFL game live and i turned 22 that season.

In the stadium, i have seen long time ticket holders gradually leave over the years. Understandable. But they are not replaced by new people who are there every game. Instead, you never know who is going to show up. It is a gradual takeover by ticket brokers and scalpers. It is what it is. No sense in crying about it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It

Certainly contributes. The stadium should've been in the Rio Salado Mesa Riverview area. But..... hookers.???? Mesa is the dumbest city in the Phoenix araa.
I always laughed at that lady claiming that the stadium was going to bring all of this crime and.....hookers.

Arizona got about the best deal I've ever seen for stadium financing (other than the team paying for it). The hotel and rental car tax is a pittance and it helps locals benefit more from all of the out of towners.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It

Certainly contributes. The stadium should've been in the Rio Salado Mesa Riverview area. But..... hookers.???? Mesa is the dumbest city in the Phoenix araa.
Mesa is also the ONLY city that tried to get things done for the Cards for many years - on their own and finally in a partnership with Tempe. Where were all the other cities at that point? Glendale got involved very late and worked because there was nothing there to begin with.

The dumbest thing ever is for a NIMBY to influence a vote for a proposed stadium. The vocal woman (LaRue Gates, IIRC) who didn't want 10 games a year to bring traffic to "her area" doesn't even live there any longer and there's more traffic from the sprawling shopping center than any stadium would have brought to the area. Plus there is now the Cubs' new stadium, the cleaned-up Riverview Park, hotels, etc.

It should have been built in Mesa at the Riverview site or further down in the Tempe/Mesa joint proposal or even on the reservation land nearby. Heck, even the Phoenix proposal not far from the Town Lake made sense but got shot down for the ridiculous "flight path" excuse. We were at a Cardinals game right after that proposal was nixed and a plane literally flew over SDS on a game day. SMH.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ve lived in CA for 20 years, should I not be a cardinals fan any longer? There’s something to be said for loyalty.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nah I don’t believe that. Normal people imo don’t just switch team allegiance just because they change their location.
Shockingly our father, he who begat cheese, ouchie, and brother-who-shall-not-post - the man who made our home sports crazed - changed all of his allegiances from Chicago sports to Arizona sports. Thinking back on it, it’s amazing that happened bc none of his three boys would ever do that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

But...really...who cares
Eh that’s bc we didn’t have a team back then and who do people gravitate to in those scenarios? The teams that are televised the most. And who was televised the most? The best teams. So Cowboys, niners, Steelers were expected selections.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Man this just sounds lame. I can tell you that since we’ve been in the big toaster we’ve had one of the best home fields for noise. Everyone I know that goes that supports the opposition comes back marveling at how the loud stadium gets in support of the cardinals. Methinks many of you haven’t been to many other stadiums.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Mesa is also the ONLY city that tried to get things done for the Cards for many years - on their own and finally in a partnership with Tempe. Where were all the other cities at that point? Glendale got involved very late and worked because there was nothing there to begin with.

The dumbest thing ever is for a NIMBY to influence a vote for a proposed stadium. The vocal woman (LaRue Gates, IIRC) who didn't want 10 games a year to bring traffic to "her area" doesn't even live there any longer and there's more traffic from the sprawling shopping center than any stadium would have brought to the area. Plus there is now the Cubs' new stadium, the cleaned-up Riverview Park, hotels, etc.

It should have been built in Mesa at the Riverview site or further down in the Tempe/Mesa joint proposal or even on the reservation land nearby. Heck, even the Phoenix proposal not far from the Town Lake made sense but got shot down for the ridiculous "flight path" excuse. We were at a Cardinals game right after that proposal was nixed and a plane literally flew over SDS on a game day. SMH.
I remember seeing a plane fly right over SDS right after that stupid argument from Phoenix politicians.

For some reason, the Phoenix political establishment was just against the Cardinals building a stadium....because.

No real good reason and we heard quite a few real dumb arguments against it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shockingly our father, he who begat cheese, ouchie, and brother-who-shall-not-post - the man who made our home sports crazed - changed all of his allegiances from Chicago sports to Arizona sports. Thinking back on it, it’s amazing that happened bc none of his three boys would ever do that.

Yeah. That’s been one of the great mysteries of all time to me.