Opening Salvo Fired in 2008 QB Controversy

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should be a competition period! Its a freakin sport you need competition and the whomever performs the best should be the starter! And then if they are having a terrible day you can try to other. Neither should be handed any job, Leinart should have to work hard and beat out the backup if he WANTS to be the starter. If he is not capable of that we need to know that also. Why this is a big deal I do not know. When you hand guys jobs you get lazy half assed efforts from those guys. Think of it this way if a teacher gave you an A before you even finished a class, are you gonna continue to work as hard as you can to acheive that A? Leinart needs to be pushed he is already kinda laid back guy.

honestly, if Matt really needs competition and to be pushed as hard as possible for him to be his best, then we migth as well start looking for a new franchise QB because the true champions of this game aren't motivated by external factors, rather they're driven from within to be the best they can be. You've never heard of guys like Favre, Brady, Manning, Montana, Elway or Marino needing to be motivated by competition to raise their game while they were developing. That's why I think next year is make or break with Matt. Either we see signs of progress and this year was a wake up call or he just doesnt have "it".

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Point is if he is like any of the greats you mentioned, he should be able to beat out Warner! If he can't beat out Warner then I agree we may need to continue to look for a QB.

chickenhead

Reaction score
In the longer view, I don't think there's a controversy. It's got to be Leinart--or has it has to be a third party. I like Warner a lot. Liked the way he handled things in NY, like the way he's handled them in Arizona. But if Leinart is not the future, then the future is still out there.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Warner has been a good #2. Dont like to think of Rattay as stater this year. Whether or not you call it a competition there will be one between Leinart and the number 2. If Leinart struggles in camp, preseason and first few games and Warner or other #2 is lighting it up in that same time then Warner or that other #2 will be the starter.

The job is Leinart's to lose but I am not convinced he is the long term much sought after franchise QB.

crdnl85

Veteran
Reaction score
Warner has been a good #2. Dont like to think of Rattay as stater this year. Whether or not you call it a competition there will be one between Leinart and the number 2. If Leinart struggles in camp, preseason and first few games and Warner or other #2 is lighting it up in that same time then Warner or that other #2 will be the starter.

The job is Leinart's to lose but I am not convinced he is the long term much sought after franchise QB.
Leinart may not be the guy who takes us to the SB his first year back,but if he is going to be our QB of the future,then we should see a lot of improvement.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's something else to chew on. Warner has 86 pass attempts(out of 360 total) while the Cardinals were actually leading.

He's also 5th in TD% and ALWAYS playing from behind in predictable situations. I'd like to see him playing with a lead and a running game. Just to see how he looks.

do you think Warner turning the ball over 6 times in 8 starts (most of the time in our own territory) in the first quarter of games has anything with the above stats? Nothing like starting your team in a hole, right (like he did against Carolina, Washington, Seattle, Detroit)? Or giving a horrific team hope/momentum (like he did against San Fran when we were actually winning in the first and he gave up a pick at our own 30). Or giving a team which is struggling to score and only holding a 4 point lead the ball in your own territory (see the Tampa game). You can talk all you want about trying to see what Kurt would look like playing with a lead and a running game (in other words, a perfect scenario), but it's tough to get either one of those things when your QB comes out in the first quarter of the game and more often than not hands the other team the ball.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I think it's pretty telling that you think Kurt is hurt by gimmick plays that have taken TDs away from him, but you've never mentioned that his numbers completely benefited from the gimmick qb switcheroo no huddle. Like I said, at the end of the day, it all evens out. For every gimmick play that took away, there was the gimmick that worked. For every dropped TD pass, there's a dropped pick, for every time one of our guys gets dragged down at the one yard line, there's a Hail Mary or a Q catch and run or we luckily fall on one of Kurt's fumbles that the other team didn't jump on. At the end of the day, it all evens out with a sample size this large. You are what you're stats say you are. And the stats (and pretty much everyone's eyes except you and a few others) say Warner's a good backup, but a mediocre starter. Does that mean he's better than previous Cardinals QB? Yeah. Does that mean we have to be satisfied with better than previous crap? Hell no.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
do you think Warner turning the ball over 6 times in 8 starts (most of the time in our own territory) in the first quarter of games has anything with the above stats?
Well, NFL.com shows him having 4 ints in the first quarter this year so I'm not sure where you're getting that number. But, yes, early interceptions would put the team at a disadvantage. Not necessarily on the scoreboard though.
You can talk all you want about trying to see what Kurt would look like playing with a lead and a running game (in other words, a perfect scenario),
A lead and a running game is a "perfect" scenario? Those are the types of things that the Cardinals actually have problems with. Their QB's suffer because of it. You put ALL of the responsibility on the QB and it's not going to turn out well. If Warner doesn't throw a TD or move the ball through the air, the Card's aren't going to score on offense. Predictability, no running game, slow receivers, questionable playcalling. Any debate on any of those items being a huge problem for the offense?
And I think it's pretty telling that you think Kurt is hurt by gimmick plays that have taken TDs away from him, but you've never mentioned that his numbers completely benefited from the gimmick qb switcheroo no huddle.
I've been trying to get you to include those numbers for quite some time rather than exclude them. You really think coming into games, down big, defense knowing your going to pass and producing is the same as coming in at the 1 yard line after all the heavy lifting is done? Warner didn't just put up some passing yards in junk time, he helped the team win and get in position to win during those games so yes, I would include them in his overall numbers. Especially considering that Whis has gotten to the point that he almost refuses to run the spread/2-minute offense at all anymore. Warner has been playing most of the year in a system not suited to his strengths and rarely with a lead or threat of a running game.
For every gimmick play that took away, there was the gimmick that worked. For every dropped TD pass, there's a dropped pick, for every time one of our guys gets dragged down at the one yard line, there's a Hail Mary or a Q catch and run
You'll have to remind me of some of these big plays that Warner benefitted from. The Fitz hail mary is one for sure. I remember many more examples of dropped TD's, passes bouncing off of unprepared receivers, Fitz stepping out, ref's getting INT's wrong, Morey getting caught, etc.

In general terms, I AGREE that normally things balance out. In Warner's case, I don't think it has. It doesn't excuse most of his turnovers but the few plays here and there that I think are outside the normal scope of balance, really make a difference in his overall numbers. The Fitz stepout, the Morey slowness, the Rackers miss/eventual fumble, the Rattay vultures. These are all plays I would consider out of the ordinary. Let's take away the Fitz stepout though since he caught the hail mary. That's one in Warner's favor. Warner, very realistically, could be at 26 TD and 20 TO.

Also, you've talked about momentum, which I also agree with. Not in the absolute way that you've suggested but in general. I wonder if you've considered Warner's momentum. How many penalties, drops, no gains, missed field goals, etc. have you given Warner credit for dealing with or overcoming?
And the stats (and pretty much everyone's eyes except you and a few others) say Warner's a good backup, but a mediocre starter.
Well, I don't mind you speaking for yourself, but "everyone"?

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Leinart has to be given the job for one reason. We have a good number of skilled guys who will not be great or good forever. If Leinart is not the answer, we have to know soon in order to try and replace him.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leinart has to be given the job for one reason. We have a good number of skilled guys who will not be great or good forever. If Leinart is not the answer, we have to know soon in order to try and replace him.

Yup. The kernel of truth in the whole argument.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I don't like Kurt Warner.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I just don't.

Not as a person, I could care less, probably a heck of a guy, but as a QB I don't like him.

I'm not talking about him playing hurt, I'm not talking about his heart, I just don't like him as a player on my team, he lacks a lot to be desired.

He's a tease, he insists on giving the ball away too often and he dosen't throw enough td's to make up for that, or maybe it's our WR's not scoring on yac that hurts this part of his production but on this team, um no.

Matt has to be battle tested, there is no earthly logic for Warner to start unless Matt fails again, then fine but honestly I'd rather sign someone else for that fallback role.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I cant imagine anyone bashing Warner for what he did this year one armed. Prediction: he will be better with 1 arm than Leinart with two. I think we saw the real Leinart when he was out there and it wasnt promising at all.

I cant imagine anyone bashing warner for what he did this year. But then the Whiz worship has gone wild so anything can be expected. Ive read fitz sucks, Boldin sucks, warner sucks, James sucks, Hood sucks, Breaton is God, Dansby is a hall of famer, Whiz needs time to learn how to get calls in under 45 seconds even though he has been doing for over a decade. :shrug:

Its all backwards to me but hey I am in the vast minority so if you are to just better not to provide your opinion as Ive been learning.

Yeah and I've read we need to cut Gerald Hayes. And Leonard Davis, the starting Guard in the pro-bowl and for a 13-2 team, is a bust.

Some great talent evaluation there. :shrug:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And if you think we cant to better than Hayes you need to check into a different sport. And keeping Davis at tackle would have been great for us to. I said over and over if we dont play him at guard let him go. Youd be happy with him at tackle So who has better evaluation? BTW who cut Davis instead of moving him to guard. Another great point about your boy whiz then hey? Cant have it both ways man.

Dont be embaressed to stick with you opinion instead of being two faced.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I think everyone around here probably likes re-visiting LD as much as they like seeing a new Warner thread, but did Whis and/or Grimm talk about moving him if he was here? It seems like so much of why LD left was financial. Or were they leary of his attitude/penalties? It seems obvious that he has talent as a guard.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whiz is great

was stupid to cut Davis

Whix cut Davis

This is the mantra. Makes a whole hell of a lot of sense right? no

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
And if you think we cant to better than Hayes you need to check into a different sport. And keeping Davis at tackle would have been great for us to. I said over and over if we dont play him at guard let him go. Youd be happy with him at tackle So who has better evaluation? BTW who cut Davis instead of moving him to guard. Another great point about your boy whiz then hey? Cant have it both ways man.

Dont be embaressed to stick with you opinion instead of being two faced.

To steal a line from Cheesebeef please quit putting words in my mouth. If you have any evidence that I've ever said Whisenhunt is a great coach please post the links. Part two: Davis is still better than either of our Tackles at Tackle and makes both our Guards look like beginners.

I guess you are still mad because I pointed out that your take on Hayes was not supported by the game tapes.