"ONE BAD MAN"!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Anyone who watched Swann would see plays like pushing Larry Allen back one handed while his other hand pushed by the Cowboys center, bursting passed them and sacking Aikman.

Calais was a great player for a long time, but I never saw plays like that!
You were a little kid Krango! Try and have a little perspective. Swann had over 6 sacks 3 times. Calais 9 times. If you're trying to say Swann was a physical freak, sure, he was, but in terms of being a dominant football player, Calais has many more years of being a dominant football player.

Keep denigrating the guy that made an ALL DECADE TEAM though - they hand those out like candy!

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone who watched Swann would see plays like pushing Larry Allen back one handed while his other hand pushed by the Cowboys center, bursting passed them and sacking Aikman.

Calais was a great player for a long time, but I never saw plays like that!
Anytime Larry Allen says you're the best he's been against means something

Larry Allen was a stud

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You were a little kid Krango! Try and have a little perspective. Swann had over 6 sacks 3 times. Calais 9 times. If you're trying to say Swann was a physical freak, sure, he was, but in terms of being a dominant football player, Calais has many more years of being a dominant football player.

Keep denigrating the guy that made an ALL DECADE TEAM though - they hand those out like candy!
Nobody is denigrating Campbell. You're overlooking that Swann's career was cut very short by injury.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Nobody is denigrating Campbell. You're overlooking that Swann's career was cut very short by injury.
Who is overlooking that Swann was injured? Yes- he was dominant pre injury, that was never questioned. It was implied that nobody was in his league at D-line since, and Calais was certainly in his league, and dominated as well.

I don't know why this is so hard to grasp. Do I need to post 10 youtube videos of Calais, along with his accolades for people acknowledge that Calais was dominant as well? This is getting silly.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is overlooking that Swann was injured? Yes- he was dominant pre injury, that was never questioned. It was implied that nobody was in his league at D-line since, and Calais was certainly in his league, and dominated as well.

I don't know why this is so hard to grasp. Do I need to post 10 youtube videos of Calais, along with his accolades for people acknowledge that Calais was dominant as well? This is getting silly.
Swann was great, but this implication is crazy talk. Aaron Donald is playing right now and is arguably the best defensive player of all time, and he plays DL. I'd also argue that Reggie White and Joe Greene were better. I am not sure that Swann even belongs in the top 5 DL of all time, and I LOVED Swann.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Eric Swann was dominant. A feared monster on the field, game changer.

Some people just like to be contrarian :rolleyes:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Yes, one is a hall of famer, the other, one in a line of many shoulda coulda wouldas.
Well, let's put it this way. if both of them were in their prime and you and I were in a bar and a fight broke out... I am siding with Swann and later will be able to walk out lol

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Well, let's put it this way. if both of them were in their prime and you and I were in a bar and a fight broke out... I am siding with Swann and later will be able to walk out lol
Ha, if Swann and Calais are involved, you can be sure I'm finding the nearest exit!

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
An ALL DECADE player wasn't. Ok Johnny!

And some people can't conceive of a reality outside of their own bubbles. It's one giant delicious stew!
Why do you keep ramming Campbell down everyone's throats in an Eric Swann thread?

#contrarian

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Why do you keep ramming Campbell down everyone's throats in an Eric Swann thread?

#contrarian
I said what I said - the only one forcing their opinion here is you.

One of us is banned from P and R, and the other isn't. I think you should be the one taking instead of giving advice, dear Johnny! Have a fabulous day.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

One of us is banned from P and R, and the other isn't. I think you should be the one taking instead of giving advice, dear Johnny! Have a fabulous day.

While I agree with you often, I think we are spilling over here.

It's natural for the conversation to to spread to other players, topics that original thread started at...as every thread does, and the natural flow of discussion went that way here in regards to thoughts about other dominant DL players.

Not sure if Calais is underrated at this point or Swann overrated but but accolades certainly Calais' camp, and especially playing for other teams.

Swann was a potential star on a terrible team, injuries be dammed. But he didn't live up the billing at the end of the day, mostly due to circumstance.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The line of Rice/Swann/Smith/Wadsworth in '98 was ruthless. Mark Smith played out of his mind that year with all of the other double teams going on.

Swann was a great player on mostly terrible teams. He played through some injuries, but he didn't miss that much time and had a fairly long career for a d-lineman in the '90s all things considered.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score

P and R has zero to do with what were talking about but please feel free to keep deflecting.

Last i'll say of this.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
P and R has zero to do with what were talking about but please feel free to keep deflecting.

Last i'll say of this.
Thank you for your service.

Yes - Swann was very big and strong, and had some incredible performances in a short period of time. During that time you could call him dominant. The claim was made that the Cards haven't had any lineman since that were in his league, which Calais is the obvious the argument. There certainly is no statistical measure that shows Swann in a different league of dominance, so basically it's a bunch of people who believe Swann was Aaron Donald Jr, and in a different league than a guy that made an all decade team.

People seem pretty locked in on their opinions on the matter at this point, and it's getting boring.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What's so funny is Swann is one of the largest humans I have ever met. That he was that fast, too. That's just nuts!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose