ON The pick six

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very long detailed breakdown of the play. Read his description of the pass rush and then watch it, he's right. At one point in the play we have THREE linemen essentially doing nothing but blocking Gaines(he says FOUR I count 3), Donald isn't rushing, Miller is actually blocked but as a result of the OL confusion the guy who causes the picksix, Reeder, is 1 on 1 with Chase Edmonds he discards him gets to Kyler who panics and the rest is history.

Floyd doesn't rush he's in coverage ala Vance, and ironically Rondale Moore IS open, but Kyler wants to go downfield because it's 3rd and 7 but honestly if he hits Rondale right away you can't actually see anybody out there so there's a chance Rondale gets the 7 yards. In the end when Reeder discards Edmonds(Chase fell down trying to cut him) and Kyler panics and throws underhand he's trying to get to Rondale who by now is of course covered and you get the picksix.

The key to that play is Kyler got greedy he should have thrown it to Rondale right away if he gets the first down great, if not at least you're punting down 14-0.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Very long detailed breakdown of the play. Read his description of the pass rush and then watch it, he's right. At one point in the play we have THREE linemen essentially doing nothing but blocking Gaines(he says FOUR I count 3), Donald isn't rushing, Miller is actually blocked but as a result of the OL confusion the guy who causes the picksix, Reeder, is 1 on 1 with Chase Edmonds he discards him gets to Kyler who panics and the rest is history.

Floyd doesn't rush he's in coverage ala Vance, and ironically Rondale Moore IS open, but Kyler wants to go downfield because it's 3rd and 7 but honestly if he hits Rondale right away you can't actually see anybody out there so there's a chance Rondale gets the 7 yards. In the end when Reeder discards Edmonds(Chase fell down trying to cut him) and Kyler panics and throws underhand he's trying to get to Rondale who by now is of course covered and you get the picksix.

The key to that play is Kyler got greedy he should have thrown it to Rondale right away if he gets the first down great, if not at least you're punting down 14-0.
Film study... Pre-snap read capability... Knowing where to go with the ball as a first and secondary option... Making post-snap read progressions... Any of this would've prevented the pick-6. Instead, we have a year-3 "super-freak athlete" as our QB, who seems to think his athletic ability alone is good enough...
Simply pathetic.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Film study... Pre-snap read capability... Knowing where to go with the ball as a first and secondary option... Making post-snap read progressions... Any of this would've prevented the pick-6. Instead, we have a year-3 "super-freak athlete" as our QB, who seems to think his athletic ability alone is good enough...
Simply pathetic.
Yeah, this.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we are talking about the play as a thread topic, just watch how he was tackled... it is a clear horse collar. Would that have made a difference in the game, I'm sure it wouldn't. That is a clear as day penalty.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simply pathetic.
You don't get 2nd reads in the end zone, that's what caused the bad play. If you are going to throw there, you have your first read and then scramble or throw the ball away.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simply pathetic.

All of that happened but if you read the story the guy is pretty clear, the first problem there is the OL gets so confused by the Rams pass rush scheme they let Reeder go 1 on 1 with Edmonds while 2 OL are standing there doing nothing but "helping" on Gaines. They only rushed THREE guys on that play. Miller from the right, Gaines from the middle and Reeder the LB who delayed blitzed. Donald drops and just stands there spying kyler in the middle, and Floyd actually drops left to cover Rondale. It's a THREE man rush against 5 OL's plus Edmonds and we ended up with a small RB trying to block a blitzing LB 1 on 1.

Kyler has to read it faster and realize what he wants downfield isn't open go to Rondale but that Reeder got there that fast in a 3 man rush is staggeringly bad for our OL.

The writer points out the Cards were so concerned with Donald that even on a play where he doesn't rush, we have 1 guy blocking him and one guy helping both on him and Gaines, Miller is 1 on 1, 4 guys on Gaines and Donald leaving Reeder 1 on 1 with Chase. Just pathetic.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You don't get 2nd reads in the end zone, that's what caused the bad play. If you are going to throw there, you have your first read and then scramble or throw the ball away.
Sure... add that to the list as well. Either way, the pick-6 was entirely avoidable and of course, equally unacceptable and falls squarely on the shoulders of the QB who had more than enough time to react in ways that would've negated the pick-6.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we are talking about the play as a thread topic, just watch how he was tackled... it is a clear horse collar. Would that have made a difference in the game, I'm sure it wouldn't. That is a clear as day penalty.

I actually can't tell from the replay. It LOOKS like you're right the way Kyler's body reacts it looks like a horsecollar but you can't actually see it, at least I can't.

But they got a TD on a replay where you can't see the ball so...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of that happened but if you read the story the guy is pretty clear, the first problem there is the OL gets so confused by the Rams pass rush scheme they let Reeder go 1 on 1 with Edmonds while 2 OL are standing there doing nothing but "helping" on Gaines. They only rushed THREE guys on that play. Miller from the right, Gaines from the middle and Reeder the LB who delayed blitzed. Donald drops and just stands there spying kyler in the middle, and Floyd actually drops left to cover Rondale. It's a THREE man rush against 5 OL's plus Edmonds and we ended up with a small RB trying to block a blitzing LB 1 on 1.

Kyler has to read it faster and realize what he wants downfield isn't open go to Rondale but that Reeder got there that fast in a 3 man rush is staggeringly bad for our OL.

The writer points out the Cards were so concerned with Donald that even on a play where he doesn't rush, we have 1 guy blocking him and one guy helping both on him and Gaines, Miller is 1 on 1, 4 guys on Gaines and Donald leaving Reeder 1 on 1 with Chase. Just pathetic.

That's what happens... I thought Kugler was an offensive line guru. I can't believe that anymore.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Russ... seriously? You're an all-pro, "MVP caliber" QB. You're standing in your own endzone. And you've been given more than ample time to make a play. I don't give a crap how "confused" the o-line was on the play. Bottom line is that for all of their supposed confusion, Kyler still had enough time to do something, anything...other than throw a high-school pick-6!

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the authors point is that Kyler should have seen right away the defense was taking away where he wanted to go, take the checkdown to Rondale, but he never looked off the initial read.

The guy who picks it isn't even covering Rondale he's covering the WR to the right which I think is Kirk. There's 3 WR's on the right side I think Green is outside, then Kirk, then Rondale. As the writer says the whole point of Rondale being where he is they want Floyd to NOT rush Kyler by putting a 3rd WR on that side Floyd winds up having coverage on Rondale so he can't rush. The 2 outside Wr's go on their routes but when Kyler starts to panic and bail they come back to help and that brings the guy back who winds up with the pick.

If Kyler had seen right away they're not open based on coverage checkdown is Rondale, we might get the first but we sure as hell don't get a picksix.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually can't tell from the replay. It LOOKS like you're right the way Kyler's body reacts it looks like a horsecollar but you can't actually see it, at least I can't.

But they got a TD on a replay where you can't see the ball so...
I'm 100% convinced it was a horse collar.

They definitely were on the wrong end of calls this game (before someone starts, the refs aren't the blame for this loss)

Forwards lateral play that seemed to level.
Horse collar on the pick 6.
AJ Green catch that wasn't even though he caught the ball with two feet down and took another step with both feet meaning 4 feet down but was overturned.
Donald not being ejected after ripping Humphries helmet off and then proceeded to choke him right in front of the refs.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
the authors point is that Kyler should have seen right away the defense was taking away where he wanted to go, take the checkdown to Rondale, but he never looked off the initial read.
Again... no ability to make pre-snap reads... No ability to make post-snap progressions when you've been given more than enough time to do so. It's pathetic.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The guy who picks it isn't even covering Rondale he's covering the WR to the right which I think is Kirk. There's 3 WR's on the right side I think Green is outside, then Kirk, then Rondale. As the writer says the whole point of Rondale being where he is they want Floyd to NOT rush Kyler by putting a 3rd WR on that side Floyd winds up having coverage on Rondale so he can't rush. The 2 outside Wr's go on their routes but when Kyler starts to panic and bail they come back to help and that brings the guy back who winds up with the pick.

If Kyler had seen right away they're not open based on coverage checkdown is Rondale, we might get the first but we sure as hell don't get a picksix.
The check down would have gained 2 yards max. A defender was screaming down to cover Rondale. Of course that is better than a pick 6.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ... seriously? You're an all-pro, "MVP caliber" QB. You're standing in your own endzone. And you've been given more than ample time to make a play. I don't give a crap how "confused" the o-line was on the play. Bottom line is that for all of their supposed confusion, Kyler still had enough time to do something, anything...other than throw a high-school pick-6!
which is exactly what I said, he should have seen teh primary read is not open and get rid of it to Rondale.

But that doesn't negate that on a play where we had 6 guys to block 3, they wound up getting a clean hit on Kyler. That's just terrible OL play. And it's worse than that we had FIVE OL's to block Miller and Gaines because Donald never rushed

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The check down would have gained 2 yards max. A defender was screaming down to cover Rondale. Of course that is better than a pick 6.

Yeah I can't see from this clip I can only see Rondale has Floyd beat to the outside I can't see the defender coming there. If he's there maybe he's the one that makes the pick?

But yeah that's the right read there first look not open hit Rondale worst case scenario you punt

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
But that doesn't negate that on a play where we had 6 guys to block 3, they wound up getting a clean hit on Kyler. That's just terrible OL play. And it's worse than that we had FIVE OL's to block Miller and Gaines because Donald never rushed
Sure... our o-line is not good. But bringing that point up on a play when Kyler actually had significant time to make a play, seems quite out of place...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I can't see from this clip I can only see Rondale has Floyd beat to the outside I can't see the defender coming there. If he's there maybe he's the one that makes the pick?

But yeah that's the right read there first look not open hit Rondale worst case scenario you punt
I could see it from the ESPN 2 feed. I assume they use all of the same camera angles as the normal ABC/ESPN feed.

edit, it does look like the one that intercepted the ball.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 100% convinced it was a horse collar.

They definitely were on the wrong end of calls this game (before someone starts, the refs aren't the blame for this loss)

Forwards lateral play that seemed to level.
Horse collar on the pick 6.
AJ Green catch that wasn't even though he caught the ball with two feet down and took another step with both feet meaning 4 feet down but was overturned.
Donald not being ejected after ripping Humphries helmet off and then proceeded to choke him right in front of the refs.

I think the Kirk pass play was correct I think the pass was forward, Conner did everything he could to try and make it look like it wasn't but the ref was looking right at it.

I also thought the Green no catch was a good call I guess mainly I don't know what a "football move" means but it seemed like he didnt' fully have the ball caught when he did that hop. Live I thought catch, first replay catch, then another angle I thought that ball is moving not a catch.

My biggest gripe is the yes Stafford scored because while I know he did, the replay doesn't show the ball. Last year drake same thing in the endzone against I think the Niners end of half 4th down play. He clearly scores you can see where his body is the bal HAS to be in but the refs reviewed and we were told they could not overturn it because the ball was not visible(Pereira said it not the real refs). But they would have scored on us anyways that's just how the game went.

We sucked

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Kirk pass play was correct I think the pass was forward, Conner did everything he could to try and make it look like it wasn't but the ref was looking right at it.

I also thought the Green no catch was a good call I guess mainly I don't know what a "football move" means but it seemed like he didnt' fully have the ball caught when he did that hop. Live I thought catch, first replay catch, then another angle I thought that ball is moving not a catch.

My biggest gripe is the yes Stafford scored because while I know he did, the replay doesn't show the ball. Last year drake same thing in the endzone against I think the Niners end of half 4th down play. He clearly scores you can see where his body is the bal HAS to be in but the refs reviewed and we were told they could not overturn it because the ball was not visible(Pereira said it not the real refs). But they would have scored on us anyways that's just how the game went.

We sucked
The ref was a bit behind the ball so he didn't have a perfect angle. If the ball went forward, it was by no more than a foot.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter what else happened, chucking the ball blindly into the air while being tackled in the end zone is shockingly moronic. It's Pop Warner stuff. It can only be explained by pire panic.

of course it is we all get that. Just pointing out the comedy of errors on that play was the point of the SI writer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose