ON The pick six

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I actually loved that call, it worked to perfection it's a first down when we desperately needed one, gave us some breathing room for Kyler to calm down. But because Kirk threw it forward it killed the whole play. Just bad execution the play call IMO was brilliant. I don't care if it looked desperate or whatever the Rams were extremely aggressive and getting a big rush, it made sense to use that aggression against them, Kirk just had one job there make sure he threw the ball backwards, he didn't.
Me too. I liked the call as well, alongside the 2nd down screen pass to Daniels on the opening drive. Daniels ran into the only defender who crossed the first down marker who was already blocked by Pugh...... Well, it's Daniels, so what else can we expect? Surprisingly, I always thought Daniels is good at avoiding defenders since he always succeed when he was asked to block. KK made the right calls, just to the wrong players. However, it is part of the coach's responsibility to use the right player in the right scheme at the right moment which KK is not very good at doing so.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too. I liked the call as well, alongside the 2nd down screen pass to Daniels on the opening drive. Daniels ran into the only defender who crossed the first down marker who was already blocked by Pugh...... Well, it's Daniels, so what else can we expect? Surprisingly, I always thought Daniels is good at avoiding defenders since he always succeed when he was asked to block. KK made the right calls, just to the wrong players. However, it is part of the coach's responsibility to use the right player in the right scheme at the right moment which KK is not very good at doing so.

I was watching the game at home, my GF was going to sit and eat and then take a shower I'd just picked her up from work. I started yelling at Daniels after that play and she said I think I'll take my shower now (-:

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you read the story the author makes that exact point. Their system they have Conner rated as essentially the best pass blocking RB in the NFL, Edmonds ranks towards the bottom of the list. That Edmonds isn't out in the pattern begs the question why is he in then? They could have used Conner, a better blocker, or even lined up a TE there. The reason Edmonds is there is Kliff is trying to be clever, by having a good receiver back there he's trying to occupy a defender so they have less guys to rush .

But the Rams wound up outsmarting him, as the guys says presnap you can see the Rams players talking and while we have no idea what they're saying, it appears they may have been saying this is the exact look we wanted, and they ran their little scheme where Donald pretended to rush and then stopped, occupying guys and they ended up with this gap where Reeder can go flying through there with only Edmonds to block him.

The design of the play is supposed to be clever, use Edmonds to occupy a defender, use Rondale to occupy their passrusher on that side he can't rush in because he's actually got to cover Rondale in the flat. That part worked, but the other part backfired because our OL didn't pick up that there's only 2 DL's rushing, against 5 OL's, so someone should have been freed up to pick up the blitzing Reeder but they didn't.

Also note you ordinarily are told to throw the ball where the blitz comes from, but Kyler doesn't do that because he only has one receiver on the left side of the formation, I think it's Wesley or Ertz can't really tell. We had 4 receivers on a play out of our own endzone, they dropped 7 guys into coverage plus Donald who's basically it appears spying in case either Edmonds goes out, or Kyler tries to run it up the middle.

So Kliff tried to trick them but instead our OL got completely fooled, Kyler got fooled and locked on downfield instead of coming off to Rondale or even looking left to see if Wesley(or Ertz not sure which one it was) is open. He waited too long, Reeder blew through Edmonds and then Kyler panicked, picksix.
Ertz lined up on the left side and ran an in-route at about the 15-yard line, he got the inside leverage on the defender and was open if Kyler can throw the ball in front of him, and it will be a first down. The middle field between the numbers was wide open. The closest player was the safety 10 yards down the field and running backward. Unfortunately, as the article pointed out, Kyler never looked at his side. I honestly think he was the right target in that play instead of Moore.

Talking about smart play, KK was right that Edmonds did make Rams rush fewer players: they did not rush Donald, but the Cardinals did expect that to happen. I guess they expected the LB Reeder to cover Edmonds. It was a chess match. Rams actually did a VJ thing that has their best pass rusher to drop and spy/cover. They succeeded because Edmonds was a decoy. They could very well fail if the play call was to have Edmonds running out to the left, he will beat Donald 10 out of 10 times to the first down marker and even more considering the field was nothing but green grass on the side. Good design, bad play call, and worse execution.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ertz lined up on the left side and ran an in-route at about the 15-yard line, he got the inside leverage on the defender and was open if Kyler can throw the ball in front of him, and it will be a first down. The middle field between the numbers was wide open. The closest player was the safety 10 yards down the field and running backward. Unfortunately, as the article pointed out, Kyler never looked at his side. I honestly think he was the right target in that play instead of Moore.

Talking about smart play, KK was right that Edmonds did make Rams rush fewer players: they did not rush Donald, but the Cardinals did expect that to happen. I guess they expected the LB Reeder to cover Edmonds. It was a chess match. Rams actually did a VJ thing that has their best pass rusher to drop and spy/cover. They succeeded because Edmonds was a decoy. They could very well fail if the play call was to have Edmonds running out to the left, he will beat Donald 10 out of 10 times to the first down marker and even more considering the field was nothing but green grass on the side. Good design, bad play call, and worse execution.

Watching the clip again I almost wonder if Kyler was psyched out by the play Donald made in game 2 where he tipped the ball and it got picked? Maybe that's why he didn't try to throw to Ertz he was afraid of that? From the clip attached to this story it doesn't appear he ever looked at Ertz he was looking more to the middle and his right where 2 of the 3 WR's on that side were presumably coming.

The author said the right read was Rondale but maybe he didn't think Ertz was as open as you did.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Watching the clip again I almost wonder if Kyler was psyched out by the play Donald made in game 2 where he tipped the ball and it got picked? Maybe that's why he didn't try to throw to Ertz he was afraid of that? From the clip attached to this story it doesn't appear he ever looked at Ertz he was looking more to the middle and his right where 2 of the 3 WR's on that side were presumably coming.

The author said the right read was Rondale but maybe he didn't think Ertz was as open as you did.
Maybe we both are right, Rondale could be the right read for Kyler because he only looked on the right side; meanwhile, Ertz could be the right target for the play. I believe a sports journalist definitely knows much more about football than I do. I just can't tell if Rondale was open or not from the clip. He was too far down the bottom of the screen and I can't even see him until Kyle Long picked Kyler's pass.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It went forward by two yards. Kirk was standing a yard behind the line and Conner caught it a yard ahead of the line. It wasn't even close.
Looked like it was even hashmark to hashmark to me...Conner just started running while catching the ball which confused the refs, IMO.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Looked like it was even hashmark to hashmark to me...Conner just started running while catching the ball which confused the refs, IMO.
I now understand what seemed confusing. Yes both players were on the hash mark just behind the line however the only thing that matters is the ball and where it goes. Conner had to move across the line to the next hash mark upfield to catch it thus it's a forward pass.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I now understand what seemed confusing. Yes both players were on the hash mark just behind the line however the only thing that matters is the ball and where it goes. Conner had to move across the line to the next hash mark upfield to catch it thus it's a forward pass.
Ehhh. It seemed that Kirk started throwing at the 15 and Conner caught at the 15....or 15 and a half. So, I'll give em a half a yard. But, that was a huge play.. so I needed to believe it was not a forward pass. ;)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll leave this here. Should have been a 15 yard penalty and a 1st down.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
I'll leave this here. Should have been a 25 yard penalty and a 1st down.

This was covered upthread:

This is from the NFL rulebook:

"ARTICLE 16. HORSE-COLLAR TACKLE
No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, or grab the jersey at the name plate or above, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket."

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, or grab the jersey at the name plate or above, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket."

It was close, but I do think he just made it out of the pocket.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks outside to me.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll leave this here. Should have been a 15 yard penalty and a 1st down.

It should have been worst case 2 points. Never should have been 7. Just stupid QB play. High school QB's handle this situation better than K1.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Looks outside to me.
Lol, those lines are slanted. The lower one doesn’t follow the trajectory of the hashes. Also, the tackle initiated within the box and moved outside. They’re never calling anything that close. And definitely not to bail out a god awful play.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As someone pointed out. When your 8 yards deep in the end zone for the snap everything speeds up for Kyler, including throwing the ball to the peanut vendor. He held the ball too long. His athletic ability gets him into as much trouble as it gets him out of

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, those lines are slanted. The lower one doesn’t follow the trajectory of the hashes. Also, the tackle initiated within the box and moved outside. They’re never calling anything that close. And definitely not to bail out a god awful play.
The lines are definitely slanted, lol. However, look at Beachum's right foot and follow that to the lettering in the end zone, it lines up to right around the inside of the left vertical line on the N. Kyler is clearly on the outside of the N.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry my fingers couldn't get them straight enough for you on my phone. But unless you are blind or just being your typical argumentative self, then you can clearly see its outside the tackle box. For the record, I don't think you're blind.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The sad part is you see Pugh, Hudson and Edmonds watching the action going on behind them. Maybe they should have been blocking someone?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
That picture looks like a road construction site - one guy working and 6 others watching. What happened to playing to the whistle?