On the offseason

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
All very good, @Crimson Warrior, but here's the rub: KK is a lame duck coach, and by any metric, Keim shouldn't be able to hire another coach. He's had his shot and more. Many people are saying you can't go into a season with a lame duck coach. So, what do you do? If you can't go into a season with a lame duck coach, do you clean house or give them all a chance by extending them 3 years?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
All very good, @Crimson Warrior, but here's the rub: KK is a lame duck coach, and by any metric, Keim shouldn't be able to hire another coach. He's had his shot and more. Many people are saying you can't go into a season with a lame duck coach. So, what do you do? If you can't go into a season with a lame duck coach, do you clean house or give them all a chance by extending them 3 years?

Thanks, and your question is beyond my limited knowledge of how the NFL works. I understand the idea of a lame-duck president, but the law/rule of a two-term limit doesn't apply to this situation. That is, even though this is the last year of Kingsbury's "term", there are many paths to him rejoining the team for the 2023 season.

I don't quite understand why Kliff can't be coaching for his (professional) life in 2022. A one-year audition of for a three year extension or whatever. But I'm sure someone here will be kind enough to explain it to me.

If you held a gun to my head (so to speak) and made make some kind of recommendation other than standing pat, I guess I would say add one more year to his current deal. That way if you had to part ways with him after 2022, you only eat one year of the contract.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
1. He can still do play design
2. He isn't very good at calling plays

This idea that he has to be in control of play calling to have any value is silly. Sean McVay no longer calls plays and hasn't since 2019. Is it any less his offense?

He needs someone that can be a hammer so he can continue being coach bro.
I’m pretty sure this is false. Couldn’t find a source to substantiate your claim other than he lets an assistant call plays in the preseason.

Link plz.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Report: Michigan sources think Jim Harbaugh would take the Raiders job

Could it be another team with a vacancy? Why not. Could it ultimately be, say, the Cardinals and a return to the NFC West, if they move on from Kliff Kingsbury? Two games per year against the 49ers, Seahawks, and Rams would be compelling, to say the least.

The reality, as we understand it, is that Harbaugh generally has interest in an NFL return, to the right situation. He’s 58, and he wants to win a Super Bowl. With 25 percent of the league (and perhaps more) looking for a new coach, Harbaugh isn’t restricted to the Raiders. Any of the teams looking for a coach could do a lot worse than a guy who immediately turned a 6-10 49ers team into a contender, and who went 44-19-1 in four seasons in San Francisco.

Stout

Reaction score
Thanks, and your question is beyond my limited knowledge of how the NFL works. I understand the idea of a lame-duck president, but the law/rule of a two-term limit doesn't apply to this situation. That is, even though this is the last year of Kingsbury's "term", there are many paths to him rejoining the team for the 2023 season.

I don't quite understand why Kliff can't be coaching for his (professional) life in 2022. A one-year audition of for a three year extension or whatever. But I'm sure someone here will be kind enough to explain it to me.

If you held a gun to my head (so to speak) and made make some kind of recommendation other than standing pat, I guess I would say add one more year to his current deal. That way if you had to part ways with him after 2022, you only eat one year of the contract.
I mean, you CAN keep a coach on for a lame-duck year, but it isn't often done because it inspires lack of confidence in him, both from the FO and the players. That often doesn't end well. I seriously doubt KK is going to sign on for just a 1-year extension either. Never can tell.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KK has one year left on his 4 year contract but I believe the Cards have an option for the 5th year. Does that make him a lame-duck this year??

Stout

Reaction score
KK has one year left on his 4 year contract but I believe the Cards have an option for the 5th year. Does that make him a lame-duck this year??
Good question. I'm not sure. I thought it was just 1 year left. If we have a 5th-year option, that might not make him a lame duck.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That college siren song is getting louder and louder to Kliff. I'm sure of it. I don't know that man personally, but he doesn't strike me as someone willing to fight through adversity. He needs things to be going perfect in order to be comfortable and this off season will be anything but for him.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always liked Harbaugh I watched him up close and personal at Stanford. The thing is, his 49er coaching days were brilliant, but ended in disaster, there was a much reported "power struggle" with the front office and owners group and with the Bidwills(and Keim) you can see that happening here too.

The reasons to hire Harbaugh? He made Colin K a good NFL QB, his 3 best years were all under Harbaugh and the team fell apart without Harbaugh, as did Colin. CK was a runner who had a great arm, Murray is more a passer who can run IMO but Harbaugh does have lots of experience with a versatile QB like that. He would bring toughness and accountability.

Also it would likely help the defense, remember the guy who ran his defense in SF was Vic Fangio who just got fired by Denver and would be available if he were interested.

I just have this fear that he and Keim and Bidwill would be a very short lived match.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If they are bringing him back next year, they will pick up his fifth year option before that, so that he's not technically a lame duck coach. They can still fire him after the 4th year, and only be on the hook for 1-year salary.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure this is false. Couldn’t find a source to substantiate your claim other than he lets an assistant call plays in the preseason.

Link plz.

I can't find now, maybe it's not accurate. I don't really care. I don't believe even a tiny bit that Kliff's only value to this team is play calling, especially considering he's not brilliant at it. If it is, he shouldn't be HC.

The advantage to this team that an experienced OC that could counter the Coach Bro attitude that permeates this offense and bring a fresh perspective far outweighs play calling duties.

It's over rated anyway. Heck, if you can win a super bowl with Byron Leftwich calling plays anyone can.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus Christ himself could be available for our headcoach or GM and it wouldn’t matter.

We are going to see 1 or 2 assistants released as the token scapegoats. Things will be status quo and we will be told how this year was a great learning experience.

Getting a guy like Harbaugh would make so much sense on every level. His resume’ with the 49ers and the fact he’s been coaching younger guys would be awesome. How valuable would he be in the draft room?
Also, Keim would have to be fired for this to happen.

It’s a shame because just like players, why wouldn’t you replace any personnel if it makes you better? The Cubs had Rick Renteria as they were heading toward their first World Series. When all the pieces were in place he was replaced with Joe Maddon. Why? Because Maddon was viewed as a better manager. They went on to win a World Series.

Is it so far fetched to think there is somebody out there that would be better than Kingsbury especially after watching the last two years swoon?

Won’t happen because ego’s from Bidwill on down believe they are smarter than everyone else.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I can't find now, maybe it's not accurate. I don't really care.

Oh. Okay. Super-cool.

I don't believe even a tiny bit that Kliff's only value to this team is play calling, especially considering he's not brilliant at it. If it is, he shouldn't be HC.

The advantage to this team that an experienced OC that could counter the Coach Bro attitude that permeates this offense and bring a fresh perspective far outweighs play calling duties.

It's over rated anyway. Heck, if you can win a super bowl with Byron Leftwich calling plays anyone can.

I think that, sans Kyler, Kliff is a pretty good playcaller. We saw that in the two games we won without Kyler and DHop.

We had an experienced OC in Tom Clements LAST YEAR. What did it change?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh. Okay. Super-cool.

I think that, sans Kyler, Kliff is a pretty good playcaller. We saw that in the two games we won without Kyler and DHop.

Tom Clements was an over the ill stop gap that had no power. An empty shell.

I want a fully fledged OC with all the duties and responsibilities that go with it. Including play calling.

I can't see what possible harm it could do having fresh ideas, a new voice for the players and a change in offensive coaching. Kyler is struggling with some aspects that show no sign of getting fixed. Our run game is hit and miss. Kliff's game plans are often suspect. He has no plan B when things don't go to plan.

Kliff is staying, the only way to fix these issues is another offensive mind. Doug Pederson would me my choice as a former QB to work with Kyler and someone who has worked with Jalen Hurts.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Jesus Christ himself could be available for our headcoach or GM and it wouldn’t matter.

We are going to see 1 or 2 assistants released as the token scapegoats. Things will be status quo and we will be told how this year was a great learning experience.

Getting a guy like Harbaugh would make so much sense on every level. His resume’ with the 49ers and the fact he’s been coaching younger guys would be awesome. How valuable would he be in the draft room?
Also, Keim would have to be fired for this to happen.

It’s a shame because just like players, why wouldn’t you replace any personnel if it makes you better? The Cubs had Rick Renteria as they were heading toward their first World Series. When all the pieces were in place he was replaced with Joe Maddon. Why? Because Maddon was viewed as a better manager. They went on to win a World Series.

Is it so far fetched to think there is somebody out there that would be better than Kingsbury especially after watching the last two years swoon?

Won’t happen because ego’s from Bidwill on down believe they are smarter than everyone else.
I mean, if Bill Davis and VJ were shown the door, most on here would be throwing a party.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Oh. Okay. Super-cool.

It is interesting that people choose to ignore this. 2-1 with a backup QB and no Hopkins. Again, Kyler is holding this offense back more than Kliff is.

You want to go in on Kliff regarding leadership...fine. Whether he holds Kyler accountable...fine. But the offensive scheme is fine when Kyler is able to use his super-precognition ability.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

That doesn’t matter as much in the pros whereas being a lame duck in college can cause some negative recruiting. The way Kliff’s contract is structured he’s either getting a new deal next year or getting fired. I can’t imagine another season in between where they pick it up and he coaches it out.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I really want another good Wr but I have to say right now I think the smart move is pick the best interior lineman you can find Offense or defense, or a CB. Because whatever we do at coach this year and beyond, a good interior player or a CB is going to be of value to that coach. If you draft a skill position guy you may pick someone and then a year from now new coach wants something totally different.

And I completely omitted RB I'm assuming we'll retain at least one of Chase or Conner but I would be surprised if it's both.

Conner gave it his all you could see on that pick where Kyler made such a bad throw to him he was thinking I'm playing in pain for this?
I know I’m late in the game replying, but a solid source told me they are prioritizing Conner, and Chase will be allowed to explore FA. I’d love to have them both back, but Conner brings a more complete package. RB just isn’t a position to tie up a bunch of money. Fools investment IMO.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I’m late in the game replying, but a solid source told me they are prioritizing Conner, and Chase will be allowed to explore FA. I’d love to have them both back, but Conner brings a more complete package. RB just isn’t a position to tie up a bunch of money. Fools investment IMO.
How much will Edmonds actually command in this market. Most teams would look at him as a change of pace receiving rb.
I like our rb room as it is. I’d like to keep them all. Much bigger fish to Fry.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man it just pisses me off that Keim continues to swing & miss with these first round picks & Bidwill doesn’t do anything about it lmao

I still wanna know what prompt Keim into hiring Mike McCoy, a guy that got fired from the same organization, twice, all these years later.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is interesting that people choose to ignore this. 2-1 with a backup QB and no Hopkins. Again, Kyler is holding this offense back more than Kliff is.

You want to go in on Kliff regarding leadership...fine. Whether he holds Kyler accountable...fine. But the offensive scheme is fine when Kyler is able to use his super-precognition ability.

For every Niners or Seahawks on the road there's a Panthers at home or a Seahawks at home or a Rams in the playoffs.

He's good, if things go to plan. He's possibly worse in the league, certainly down there, at adjusting when they don't.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I absolutely love Chase but his issue is he's gotten hurt too much and you can't have both of your primary RB's be "injury prone" and Conner was so valuable you have to prioritize him. With Eno and others I hope we can fill for Chase and honestly I hope we still find a way to get him back.

We won't just don't have the room but I would love for us to have a FB too, or a TE that can play FB. But the value of a FB is usually tied to how often you are under C.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I absolutely love Chase but his issue is he's gotten hurt too much and you can't have both of your primary RB's be "injury prone" and Conner was so valuable you have to prioritize him. With Eno and others I hope we can fill for Chase and honestly I hope we still find a way to get him back.

We won't just don't have the room but I would love for us to have a FB too, or a TE that can play FB. But the value of a FB is usually tied to how often you are under C.
Along those same lines (I certainly have a big mouth at times), they are interested in bringing Hassan Reddick back (I even asked if it was true the cardinals said they weren’t interested in resigning him last march, and was told “true story”). HR will only come back if he is paid top 5 $$$. Take it for how you wish, but this was a good source I know. If true about HR, it just feels like a Karlos dansby situation all over again…

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Is Travis Henry injury prone?