OKC-PHX Recap

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
I was going to ask if anyone saw the game.
Suns outscore Sonics 26 to 9 in the 4th and still lose by 5 in OT????

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've "watched" the game online (while I had the Dolphins/Jets game on TV). The Suns looked pretty awful. They couldn't hit their jumpers, kept turning the ball over, and the defense was poor for the first three quarters. They made a nice run with their starters early in the second half, mostly by going through Stoudemire, but Durant started hitting everything and the OKC lead grew again. Then the bench, with mostly Dickau running the team and Powell/Tucker in the lineup, came back against OKC bench to erase a 20 point deficit in the 4th. OKC bench played pretty poorly down the stretch, but once we forced the game into OT I guess our bench run out of steam as OKC made a few plays and won the game.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare didn't show up on the boards again. He had only 6 in almost 30 minutes. To top it off, nobody else on the team rebounded either. Frye was awful shooting and so was Clark again. Dragic looked horrible again as well. Grant Hill did a little of everything (emphasis on little) and JR only had 8 shots the entire game. Our freaking SG only had 8 shots. The Suns still can't figure out how to use him. Nash sort of looked like his old self (including the turnovers).

There were some bright spots. Jared looked good off the bench. This guy needs more playing time. The team also did manage to erase a deficit and fight back but they dug that hole to start with. The Thunder have a really young team and at times seemed to have about twice as much energy as some of our Vets. As Griffin stated above, the team rallied a bit when some of our younger legs were in the game.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
sigh looks like we might be in for a long season, i'm just sick of Amare saying hes going to be better at rebounding and defense and everyear he doesn't improve. I hope the suns have a good season but not having a lot of faith so far.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i'm not banking on anything until the 6th preseason game. right now, it more about seeing who is on this team. let the benchers play a little more and figure out the rotation.

but IF amare doesnt show something other the offense, then we are in trouble. we NEED to rebound effectively and at least SHOW we can play D. this talk of "we need to play defense when it matters" is just talk right now. and until its proven on the court i remain somewhat pessimistic on this upcoming season

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Amare is off to a slow start in the preseason, but he'll work his way back IMO. I really take nothing from the preseason in terms of judging the team. It's more of a chance to see what combinations work well, and getting players into game shape. I don't think there is full effort (especially from starters) in these exhibition games. Don't worry yet Suns fans. Let Amare get some regular season game action before you judge him. Remember how bad he was when he came back from micro? He went on to be All NBA First Team.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
sigh looks like we might be in for a long season, i'm just sick of Amare saying hes going to be better at rebounding and defense and everyear he doesn't improve. I hope the suns have a good season but not having a lot of faith so far.

Amare may want to play better defense and rebound but I am not going to blame him anymore than I will Nash. Nash should say he wants to play better defense every year too cause his is worse. Maybe it is better if we forget that Amare says this and be surprised if he gets better instead of calling him out for something he doesn't seem to have the skill(Nash) or mindset(maybe Amare) to do.

It will be a long season if we all watch Amare for noticable defensive improvement and count his rebounds each game. It's really a no win thing to do. Amare and Nash are excellent offensive players, the Suns staff should surround them with the pieces that fit, and not make them into something they are not.

After all that said, there should be at least a little improvement but I'm going to focus on the whole team and not just Amare.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It will be a long season if we all watch Amare for noticable defensive improvement and count his rebounds each game. It's really a no win thing to do.

Only because we know it won't happen. If Stoudemire actually did improve his defense and rebounding, it wouldn't be no-win at all.

Nash doesn't begin every postgame interview with a new proclamation about how he's going to become the league's next dominant player. He knows his weaknesses, works hard, and stays (relatively) humble. No one would be so concerned about Stoudemire's poor rebounding if he didn't regularly couple it with such outrageous braggadocio. His routine is an insult to the intelligence of Suns fans, and that's why we resent it.

Sovereignz

Registered
Reaction score
If I don't go running for two weeks, that first run back is horrible. My wind is gone, my legs feel like lead.. And I'm your average slow white dude. I can't even imagine what the beginning of the road to recovery is for a professional athlete who is out for that period of time. I guess the only thing Amare has going for him is experience :D.

And I will never, ever understand why people expect him to suddenly turn into Kevin Garnett or anything close to what he talks about. Just because he says he's going to? Do you really take everything professional athletes say to heart? Then I'm sure salesmen and politicians around the country want to thank you for your business and endorsements. Seriously, there are some people that you just can't accept whatever comes out of their mouth. A lot, if not most, professional athletes fall into that category and I can't think of anyone who goes at the top of the list before Amare.

Slight incremental improvements aren't out of the question for him, but after all the injuries I'll be happy if he's the efficient 22/9 guy again. Expecting Amare, of all people, to carry a squad of putrid defenders and pathetic rebounders into a new era of Suns basketball isn't realistic.

This team is going to be horrible defensively, and unless Frye provides some unexpected help on the boards AND Lou and Clark get extended minutes instead of us going small all the time we're going to be giving up o-rebs left and right. You should probably prepare yourself for it, it'll make it much easier to actually root for the players on your favorite team instead of railing at the interweb gods for making one of the best offensive players ever one of the worst defensive ones, and creating the drugs that certain players HAVE to be on for them to form these delusional opinions about themselves.. and Satan for sending us Steve Kerr :D.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Do you really take everything professional athletes say to heart? Then I'm sure salesmen and politicians around the country want to thank you

Um, isn't that the main reason we dislike salesmen and politicians? Of course we don't believe it, but it's still insulting to be lied to.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also it helps if the player has actually been there and done that before he speaks with bravado. I just want Amare to take care of his own business first.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only because we know it won't happen. If Stoudemire actually did improve his defense and rebounding, it wouldn't be no-win at all.

Nash doesn't begin every postgame interview with a new proclamation about how he's going to become the league's next dominant player. He knows his weaknesses, works hard, and stays (relatively) humble. No one would be so concerned about Stoudemire's poor rebounding if he didn't regularly couple it with such outrageous braggadocio. His routine is an insult to the intelligence of Suns fans, and that's why we resent it.

I don't see how you can doubt Stoudemire's commitment to improving his game. He read wikipedia entries on leadership over the summer. What more could you want from the guy? Next summer when he googles rebounding and defense, you'll eat your words.

Last edited:

Sovereignz

Registered
Reaction score
Um, isn't that the main reason we dislike salesmen and politicians? Of course we don't believe it, but it's still insulting to be lied to.

I've met plenty of salesmen and politicians that I do like, but I'm still not going to take what they say at face value. Besides, their "lies" are more harmful than anything Amare says because it's the car you're driving or the policy that affects your livelihood. And I don't disagree that Amare's constant proclamations and all are insulting to fans' intelligence, I was just offering my personal view that it's not worth the anxiety in his case.. especially since it's been the same thing for years and years now.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
this talk of "we need to play defense when it matters" is just talk right now. and until its proven on the court i remain somewhat pessimistic on this upcoming season
Many games are lost in the 2nd or 3rd quarter.

This concept of "play defense when it matters" (inferring the last 4 minutes or so of a game) is not going to beat an opponent who plays good defense (individual and team) all game long.

All season as well as the post-season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison