Official World Cup 2010 thread

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Spains also my favorite to win it. Even with Torres limping, the Xavi-Villa connection is possibly the worlds best.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Spains also my favorite to win it. Even with Torres limping, the Xavi-Villa connection is possibly the worlds best.

They also have Iniesta, Fabregas and David Silva (who scored goal #2) in the midfield along with Xavi.

And their back line is pretty solid as well with Puyol, Pique and Sergio Ramos.

Man, what an embarrassment of riches that team has.

The fun thing is that next season, we can see that Xavi/Villa connection since Villa is now with Barcelona. Can't wait.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A lot of these players were in previous world cups. Up until they won the euro cup a couple years back, Spains always been known as a huge under achiever.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
ill take argentina.

For what? To win the World Cup?

Good pick, but I'm pretty iffy on Argentina because of their coach and because my favorite player (Messi) doesn't show up for the national team like he does for his club team.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hate argentina more than any other soccer team. Messi isn't the same without Xavi/Iniesta spoonfeeding him, there is no way he is as deadly as he is in barca.

Maradona doesn't know what the hell he's doing. I will love to see them fall.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Bafana Bafana my ass. Not worried even a little bit of S.A's "home field advantage"

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
ESPN Classic is showing a bunch of WC games today.

USA Mexico from 2002 is on @ 2:30 ET followed By USA Portugal...10:30 PM is England Argentina from 1986 (Hand of God game--and also one of the greatest individual goals ever)

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For what? To win the World Cup?

Good pick, but I'm pretty iffy on Argentina because of their coach and because my favorite player (Messi) doesn't show up for the national team like he does for his club team.

Yes to win it. I hope they dont, the coach is an ass but he promised to run that fugly body down the streets naked if they win. That wil be a great youtube!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yes to win it. I hope they dont, the coach is an ass but he promised to run that fugly body down the streets naked if they win. That wil be a great youtube!

They also have a possible second round matchup with Mexico, and a 3rd round matchup with Germany. Going to be tough for them if they're not playing well.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They also have a possible second round matchup with Mexico, and a 3rd round matchup with Germany. Going to be tough for them if they're not playing well.

I dont get everyones concern with Germany. 4 starters missing. I mean not many teams can even hope to overcome that. Thye are good enough to hope but the odds of it happening have got to be like 5%.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They're one of the deepest teams in the cup. Regardless of their starters missing, it is still an impressive group of players.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I dont get everyones concern with Germany. 4 starters missing. I mean not many teams can even hope to overcome that. Thye are good enough to hope but the odds of it happening have got to be like 5%.

You act like Germany is only 11 players deep. They will still win the group as they are easily the best team in it.

rode kardinaal

Registered
Reaction score
Mind if i pass, when the time comes?

I used to feel the same way about Argentina as Shzm13. Well, maybe not exactly the same, but i totally disliked the Argentines, and hoped they would lose everything they played. But 4 years ago, when the WC was held in Germany, i visited Frankfurt for the 3rd group stage game of Holland-Argentina.

Imagine Frankfurt's old centre, with pretty smallish streets, squares and a lot of bars. Then in one corner of one of those streets there were the Argentines singing out loud while the other corners waited in turn, in the other corner were us Dutchies singing back, followed by some leftover Mexicans, Swedes, Ecuadorians and of course the hometown Germans. Everybody singing into each other, later singing with each other, mingling and sharing a lot of drinks. The best atmosphere i've ever been part of as a football supporter. The Argentine fans were so great that night and the day after on the big squares of Frankfurt, that from that day on Argentina is my number 2 nation to cheer for. I've even got a flag in my closet (traded my Holland flag for an Argie one with a fan i met after the game).

If only they had a real coach who knew anything about tactics.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mind if i pass, when the time comes?

I used to feel the same way about Argentina as Shzm13. Well, maybe not exactly the same, but i totally disliked the Argentines, and hoped they would lose everything they played. But 4 years ago, when the WC was held in Germany, i visited Frankfurt for the 3rd group stage game of Holland-Argentina.

Imagine Frankfurt's old centre, with pretty smallish streets, squares and a lot of bars. Then in one corner of one of those streets there were the Argentines singing out loud while the other corners waited in turn, in the other corner were us Dutchies singing back, followed by some leftover Mexicans, Swedes, Ecuadorians and of course the hometown Germans. Everybody singing into each other, later singing with each other, mingling and sharing a lot of drinks. The best atmosphere i've ever been part of as a football supporter. The Argentine fans were so great that night and the day after on the big squares of Frankfurt, that from that day on Argentina is my number 2 nation to cheer for. I've even got a flag in my closet (traded my Holland flag for an Argie one with a fan i met after the game).

If only they had a real coach who knew anything about tactics.

Im pretty sure you wouldn't feel the same way about them if Maxi Rodriguez had done this to Holland:

You must be registered for see images

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure you wouldn't feel the same way about them if Maxi Rodriguez had done this to Holland:

You must be registered for see images
That goal is awesome. Would be hard for me to be mad, if I was a Mexico fan.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you be mad? Granted it was a beautiful goal, but thats the goal in extra time that knocks your country out of the cup. Dagger.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Brazil..... Spain....... It has to be them....

Boy am I excited for this.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Didier Drogba practiced today and might be available for the first group match for Ivory Coast. I just wonder how effective he'll be. One hard tackle and it could be much worse for him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort