Official Offseason Free Agency Thread

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bucks have reportedly agreed to terms with Drew Gooden for 32 million over 5 years. Gooden was a guy I had my eye on as a possible replacement for Stoudemire.

Adrian Wojnarowsk via twitter is reporting that Joe Johnson is about to accept the hawks max offer. Bad news for NY, but also bad for Atlanta if they are really giving him a max 6 year deal.

Gambo via twitter is reporting that the Suns offered Frye a five year $20 million dollar contract. Perfect for Frye in my opinion. Frye has yet to accept.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drew Gooden to me is the most talked about least impact player in the league.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
5yrs/20M$

It's a bit much if you ask me. It would be best to have that contract front-loaded unless we wanted to use more capspace.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bucks have reportedly agreed to terms with Drew Gooden for 32 million over 5 years. Gooden was a guy I had my eye on as a possible replacement for Stoudemire.

Adrian Wojnarowsk via twitter is reporting that Joe Johnson is about to accept the hawks max offer. Bad news for NY, but also bad for Atlanta if they are really giving him a max 6 year deal.

Gambo via twitter is reporting that the Suns offered Frye a five year $20 million dollar contract. Perfect for Frye in my opinion. Frye has yet to accept.
:championship:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5/20 does seem about 5M too high for Frye. 5/32 is about 15-20M too much for Gooden.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drew Gooden to me is the most talked about least impact player in the league.

Look at his numbers. He's a guaranteed double-double every night when given significant minutes.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It would be best to have that contract front-loaded unless we wanted to use more capspace.

I'm guessing the Suns didn't waive their exceptions if they are offering Frye that contract so they will have no capspace. Suns will only have about 2-3mil left of the MLE if Frye signs that offer plus their BAE.

I really don't like the idea of giving Frye that deal, I hope another team overpays him ala Gooden.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without doing much besides that. Not an impact to to me at all. Empty numbers nothing else.

He is also so undersized, he is worse than Amare on defense IMO.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is also so undersized, he is worse than Amare on defense IMO.

He's listed as 6'10" 250 lbs; Stoudemire is 6'10: 249 lbs. Stoudemire's wing span is 1.25 inches longer. How is that so undersized?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's listed as 6'10" 250 lbs; Stoudemire is 6'10: 249 lbs. Stoudemire's wing span is 1.25 inches longer. How is that so undersized?

His reach is 2" shorter than Amare's, that is pretty significant.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because he is asked a lot of times to play C, just like Amare. His defense is worse than Amare's. He's not quick enough to stay with the faster players and too small to hang with the bigger boys. He's the classic big man tweener.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Rick Bucher was on ESPN First Take and he believes that there is a very good chance that outside of Bosh and Boozer, there likely won't be much movement. He said that noone thinks that Amare is a max salary player

Take it for what its worth

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at his numbers. He's a guaranteed double-double every night when given significant minutes.

I agree about Gooden. He was my backup option if Amare leaves. The other name comes to mind is Chris Wilcox, however, I don't believe he is a FA until next year. Maybe he could be had in a trade. The thing to understand when criticizing such players is you don't replace Amare on the cheap. One has to look at lower tier players.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo reporting: Amare and Pat Riley had "very impresive" meeting last night in LA. No offer was made. Mike D'Antoni called and Amare on way to NY Saturday

No offer from Miami? Stoudemire has to know that they are waiting on an answer from Bosh first. I think NY is going to throw the max at Stoudemire. The are likely getting desperate with reports that Johnson is probably returning to Atlanta.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about Gooden. He was my backup option if Amare leaves. The other name comes to mind is Chris Wilcox, however, I don't believe he is a FA until next year. Maybe he could be had in a trade. The thing to understand when criticizing such players is you don't replace Amare on the cheap. One has to look at lower tier players.

Wilcox is a locker room cancer. Whatever he brings to the table he destroys team chemistry in an instant. Just take whatever wins you think a team should get and subtract 10 from any team he is on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No offer from Miami? Stoudemire has to know that they are waiting on an answer from Bosh first. I think NY is going to throw the max at Stoudemire. The are likely getting desperate with reports that Johnson is probably returning to Atlanta.

Yes, I can see NY turning desperate.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo: Suns have upped the offer to Channing Frye to 5 years and $25 million --he would be nuts not to jump at this!!!!!

Suns got to know Stoudemire is gone.