Official Arizona Weather Thread

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
El Nino:

Contribute to relatively dry summers, but when the rain comes, it will come all at once. It contributes to the formation of tropical storms and Pacific Hurricanes. This one is shaping up to be the biggest one every. The other two major El Nino events were in 1982 and 1997. Both caused major flooding and mudslides, but also recharged reservoirs to some degree. It is a blessing and a curse.

Here are the thermal images of the last 2 record-setting El Nino Events:

You must be registered for see images

And here is 2015 as of June 30:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
El Nino:

Contribute to relatively dry summers, but when the rain comes, it will come all at once. It contributes to the formation of tropical storms and Pacific Hurricanes. This one is shaping up to be the biggest one every. The other two major El Nino events were in 1982 and 1997. Both caused major flooding and mudslides, but also recharged reservoirs to some degree. It is a blessing and a curse.

Here are the thermal images of the last 2 record-setting El Nino Events:

And here is 2015 as of June 30:

You must be registered for see images attach

I remember the 1997 El Nino season all too well. Had so many summer baseball games canceled bc of the rain

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swear I must be in the vortex (#Bill O) cause we got nothin' over here in South Scottsdale right now.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
For more than a week, Iran and Iraq have endured scorching temperatures, prompting Baghdad to declare a four-day “heat holiday” and leaving the Iranian city of Bandar Mahshahr dangerously close to breaking the all-time record with a heat index of 164 degrees on Friday.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/0...temps-in-iran-as-heat-dome-traps-middle-east/

Yeah Phoenix temps get bad but that is ridiculous!

But it could be worse...
The index for Bandar Mahshahr, a city of 100,000 people in the Khuzestan Province of southwestern Iran, fell mercifully shy of the record high from July 8, 2003, when the heat index was recorded at 178 degrees in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how would a self respecting member of the Valley react to rain?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm on a fishing expedition for some long-time Valley folks who want to talk about the monsoon. Specifically, I'm looking for anyone who thinks God hates their neighborhood and delivers all the summer rain to other parts of the Valley.

It's a myth, of course -- the idea of a super-dry vortex -- but I've seen tongue-in-cheek references in this very thread.

I'm hoping to get a story done this week or the next about "Why doesn't it rain in my neighborhood?" or something to that affect. We'll tackle the emotions of the Valley monsoon, and our obsession with relief from the heat.

Email me at [email protected] if you're interested. You could also PM me or, if you're lucky, shout at me on the street.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was downtown for grad school and was on break when all of that hit. It was insane! Lights out everywhere, trees down and water everywhere. Good times!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm on a fishing expedition for some long-time Valley folks who want to talk about the monsoon. Specifically, I'm looking for anyone who thinks God hates their neighborhood and delivers all the summer rain to other parts of the Valley.

It's a myth, of course -- the idea of a super-dry vortex -- but I've seen tongue-in-cheek references in this very thread.

I'm hoping to get a story done this week or the next about "Why doesn't it rain in my neighborhood?" or something to that affect. We'll tackle the emotions of the Valley monsoon, and our obsession with relief from the heat.

Email me at [email protected] if you're interested. You could also PM me or, if you're lucky, shout at me on the street.

I moved to the east valley to get more rain :)

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
West Valley was calm. I got a small storm the night before, dumped rain for like 3 minutes and was then gone but ripped stuff up in northern Buckeye (AKA Verrado)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came into work today in South Scottsdale and our test area was completely destroyed. Chain link fence was a mangled mess. Our military grade tents were shredded up and moved 4 feet. These tents were staked down with 4 foot spikes into the asphalt and had over 100 sand bags around the perimeter holding it in place. These tents have made it through 9 years of monsoons and I have never seen anything like it. All of our equipment was tossed about like a tornado hit. CRAZY!!!!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came into work today in South Scottsdale and our test area was completely destroyed. Chain link fence was a mangled mess. Our military grade tents were shredded up and moved 4 feet. These tents were staked down with 4 foot spikes into the asphalt and had over 100 sand bags around the perimeter holding it in place. These tents have made it through 9 years of monsoons and I have never seen anything like it. All of our equipment was tossed about like a tornado hit. CRAZY!!!!

Where are you at?

I am just north of McDowell between Scottsdale and Miller.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard