LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I am mostly just counting calories. I had (and often have) 2 McDoubles for lunch today. I also started eating snacks between meals (and smaller meals) to help speed up my metabolism....plus the running.

I'm pretty sure that this doesn't actually happen or at least that's what I keep reading. There are all kinds of conspiracy theories about who and why this idea became popular and I know there are still proponents of it but it appears that it isn't supported by science. There is also quite a bit of evidence to suggest that eating extra meals will eventually backfire on you. Anyway, good luck with your weight loss.

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that this doesn't actually happen or at least that's what I keep reading. There are all kinds of conspiracy theories about who and why this idea became popular and I know there are still proponents of it but it appears that it isn't supported by science. There is also quite a bit of evidence to suggest that eating extra meals will eventually backfire on you. Anyway, good luck with your weight loss.

Steve

I have heard the same. :)

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Steve
I will just give credit to the diet and running. It is mostly because I almost completely stopped drinking soda. When I reached a plateau in my wieght it started dropping again when I started eating the granola bars. But it could have easily been something else.

Also, backfire in what way?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will just give credit to the diet and running. It is mostly because I almost completely stopped drinking soda. When I reached a plateau in my wieght it started dropping again when I started eating the granola bars. But it could have easily been something else.

Also, backfire in what way?

I'm nowhere near an expert on this but as I understand it, frequent meals will cause some blood sugar issues (the degree, obviously, is determined by which foods you eat) leading to many of the same weight related issues that face diabetics. I think you reach a point where your body no longer sends the message of satiety. And once you get used to eating 5 or 6 meals a day, it's tough to go back to the "no snacks between meals" lifestyle even once you return to having your normal 3 high calorie meals. Not to mention you are training yourself to eat by the clock rather than by feelings of hunger.

When you eat frequently it does cause your metabolism to go up a little but it is really offset by the fact that your metabolism doesn't go up as high as it would if you were having a larger meal.

Steve

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to reading the book when it comes out.

Right now, I'm reading a book about the tobacco companies and what/when they knew about nicotine. It was interesting to read in the article a brief comparison between the tobacco industry and the crapfood industry.

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its out. Saw it in a bookstore yesterday. Capitalism got ugly when the bottom line trumped caring about your consumer and being proud of what you produce...

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Junkfood is a term leaked out by folks that made it, no dollar menu is bueno and all that pre-made crap is pre-made crap you haven't crapped out yet. Make your own food, or support small businesses that make local food daily..not "made fresh daily".

Most of the food most buy today is crap wiating to happen with no nutritional value...it's pre-made crap.

Crap crap, KFC crap, McFATTENupYOURkids, tacos by mormons bell crap, frozen PizzaButt/Hutt...CRAP

Grow your own (when you can) and cook your own (when you can), and don't let your kids learn bad habits because you too tired!! The happy meal prize was cool back in the 80s.

Fresh meat and fruits, and some fastfood that I call tolerable....that's how I roll...unless I got the munchies so noll and void this post.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I'm nowhere near an expert on this but as I understand it, frequent meals will cause some blood sugar issues (the degree, obviously, is determined by which foods you eat) leading to many of the same weight related issues that face diabetics. I think you reach a point where your body no longer sends the message of satiety. And once you get used to eating 5 or 6 meals a day, it's tough to go back to the "no snacks between meals" lifestyle even once you return to having your normal 3 high calorie meals. Not to mention you are training yourself to eat by the clock rather than by feelings of hunger.

When you eat frequently it does cause your metabolism to go up a little but it is really offset by the fact that your metabolism doesn't go up as high as it would if you were having a larger meal.

Steve

Yeah, I've been reading a lot about this recently. It's tough on the liver to keep it running all day. I've gone back to three or sometimes four meals per day and completely eliminated snacks, even the freebies at costco. It took a while for my hunger senses to adjust, but now I rarely get hungry.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson