Nuggets @ Suns Thursday game thread 4-6-2023

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
His frequent injuries and his poor play when he first returns to action have made him unreliable for us so I'm confident we'll try again to find a better replacement. But when he's healthy and fully back to speed, he's one of the better backup PGs. As for his foul rate, he's middle of the pack for our team.
Which is bad for most other teams.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For me. I don’t care what Paul does in the regular season I need to see it in the playoffs we’re it gets way more physical.

The last two years he’s melted down hell his entire career he’s always come up short in the playoffs.

Maybe this kind of new role as a spot up shooter will save his legs. Hopefully
I don’t buy this narrative as being a Paul legacy. He’s made it to as many finals as Barkley and iverson did. One less than Stockton and Malone. One more than many many other talented players. His teams have routinely been playoff teams, some of which overachieved. Ha he had some bad luck or come up against superior team? Yup. But that’s the life of a guy that’s played at a high level for 18 seasons.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Paul is the only player in NBA history to have blown five 2-0 playoff series leads. No one else has more than three.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Paul is the only player in NBA history to have blown five 2-0 playoff series leads. No one else has more than three.
Wow! He single-handedly did that?! Crazy!

How about he's the only player in NBA history who's team has blown five 2-0 playoff series leads? Last I checked, it's a team sport.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's starting to look like maybe window Payne as in he'll be watching the game from behind his window on the bench.

His role is to look for which other team will pick him up for next year...

Nah,,, Suns will keep him because he is playing for less money.

His positives > run fast and foul the man he is guarding.

You must be registered for see images attach

I still think the Suns are searching for the Cam Payne from the Orlando bubble and the player in the NBA Finals season.

Really hope they find him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see some more designed plays for Deandre Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! He single-handedly did that?! Crazy!

How about he's the only player in NBA history who's team has blown five 2-0 playoff series leads? Last I checked, it's a team sport.
Not to mention a lot of players have never even come close to having five 2-0 playoff leads. CP3 does seem to come up injured at the worst time but it's unfair to ignore how dependent his teams are for their success. He's taken his team to the playoffs 14 times and most of those teams wouldn't have had a chance to get there, let alone move on, without a healthy CP3.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
-2014 4th qtr meltdown vs OKC
-2015 game 6 meltdown vs HOU
-2016 injury vs Portland
-2017 game 7 vs Utah 6/19 shooting outplayed by George Hill
-2018 injury
-2021 injured/choked vs Bucks
-2022 sick/choked vs Mavs

Paul has a history of getting injured, getting sick and choking in the playoffs. Not exactly a small sample size at this point…

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-2014 4th qtr meltdown vs OKC
-2015 game 6 meltdown vs HOU
-2016 injury vs Portland
-2017 game 7 vs Utah 6/19 shooting outplayed by George Hill
-2018 injury
-2021 injured/choked vs Bucks
-2022 sick/choked vs Mavs

Paul has a history of getting injured, getting sick and choking in the playoffs. Not exactly a small sample size at this point…
Injured and ill, yes, but I don't buy the choking. I think fans use that word probably a thousand times for every time it really happens.

IMO you don't get to his level and choke. And CP3 just doesn't seem to have the kind of personality that I'd associate with it anyway. Someone like Frye can choke, someone like Gortat can choke, I just don't see it with CP3's makeup.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Injured and ill, yes, but I don't buy the choking. I think fans use that word probably a thousand times for every time it really happens.

IMO you don't get to his level and choke. And CP3 just doesn't seem to have the kind of personality that I'd associate with it anyway. Someone like Frye can choke, someone like Gortat can choke, I just don't see it with CP3's makeup.
Choking is just a dramatic word for coming up short when the pressure was on. Every superstar with the exception of MJ has had a moment(s) like that; Lebron, KD, Curry even Giannis was seen as someone who couldn’t get it done before he did. I would like to go back and see what we were saying about CP3’s playoff history before he was a Sun.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we're going to end up playing the Warriors. I know it. It's the team I'd least like to see us matched up with in the first round.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Choking is just a dramatic word for coming up short when the pressure was on. Every superstar with the exception of MJ has had a moment(s) like that; Lebron, KD, Curry even Giannis was seen as someone who couldn’t get it done before he did. I would like to go back and see what we were saying about CP3’s playoff history before he was a Sun.

The intriguing thing I see with Chris Paul this season (hopefully it shows up in the playoffs) is his willingness to shoot the 3-point shot. Previously, he was dependent on driving and creating the mid-range shot.

Paul doesn't have the hops or quickness to do this consistently anymore, although the 3-point shot should help this part of his game as well, opening up more of his game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's hope the Suns come out like the Nuggets did last night, play hard while resting their key players, and try to steal the game at the Lakers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns really need the last two games to figure out their bench.

Right now the bench looks like Craig, Biz, Payne, Ross and sometimes Shamet.

I have reservations about starting Okogie, but I'm not sure if there is a better answer at the moment. Starting Craig weakens the bench.

Sometimes I wonder if Shamet would play better if he started.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like to see some more designed plays for Deandre Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I did notice last night that his fingers aren’t taped up anymore. Hopefully he can catch some passes now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was watching the final minute of the Suns-Nuggets game again. What a horrible final minute.

It should serve as an example of how to lose a ball game up by 8 points with under a minute left, starting with the trap of Devin Booker in the corner.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same. I think a 1st round exit would be the end of Monty.
Back to back to back losses with HCA and being favored in all three series, while going from losing in the Finals to Conference Semifinals to First Round should be enough to sink anyone.

I doubt it would tho.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Back to back to back losses with HCA and being favored in all three series, while going from losing in the Finals to Conference Semifinals to First Round should be enough to sink anyone.

I doubt it would tho.
Ishbia is clearly a risk taker and he definitely knows the current roster has an extremely short championship window. Not judging now until the playoffs, but I don't think Monty is enough of an x's and o's guy to really maximize all the talent he has.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair Paul doesn’t play the game alone geesh, at least say his teams which are probably more the culprit than Paul himself…
Paul regularly crapped the bed at the end of a lot of those series.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Paul regularly crapped the bed at the end of a lot of those series.
Paul regularly crapped the bed at the end of seasons going into the playoffs too. Can't forget last year. Now, whether that was because of COVID or not, I don't know, but COVID was certainly the culprit the year before.