Not looking good that the D'Backs are going to sign Max Scherzer

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's hope the two sides can get a deal done.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/84260

Chances of D-Backs signing No. 1 draft pick dimming
Jack Magruder, Tribune
TUCSON - The Diamondbacks’ chances of signing their 2006 No. 1 draft pick, pitcher Max Scherzer, appear to be diminishing. Agent Scott Boras compares Scherzer to another of his premier pitching clients, 2006 No. 1 pick Luke Hochevar, and appears to be seeking a contract similar to the $5.3 million that Kansas City paid Hochevar last summer.

The D-Backs have made what they consider a “solid offer,” but it is not believed to be close to Hochevar numbers.

“We certainly will continue negotiating. We expect it to work,” D-Backs general manager Josh Byrnes said. “We are always balancing risk with reward. Even high-profile college pitchers will show more misses than hits.”

Hochevar reentered the draft last year after being the 40th overall selection by the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2005, and Boras made it sound as if Scherzer will consider that option.

“Before the draft last year, we told teams we considered Max one of the top two pitchers in the draft,” Boras said.

“We certainly felt Max and Luke were on a par with one another. In our conversations (with the D-Backs), they assured us they had a similar opinion.”

The D-Backs went through a similar scenario with shortstop Stephen Drew, drafting him in 2004 before signing him on May 31, 2005, the day before he would have reentered the draft.

Boras has invited the D-Backs to watch Scherzer, whose fastball reaches 95-96 mph, work out in California, and Byrnes said he expects to accept the invitation later this month.

“Less to see him throw, more to visit with him and get to know him more,” Byrnes said.

Scherzer, a right-hander from the University of Missouri, has one year of college eligibility remaining.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scherzer deserves to be paid like the #1 pick in the draft? Yeah, ok. :roll:

shoewizard

Reaction score
Although the examples of getting Drew and Upton signed after lengthy delays have been held up as giving hope to getting Scherzer signed....for some reason I have been skeptical of him actually getting signed for a while now.

IMO, this is because I think the D backs view him as a risk due to his sore shoulder that he had, and would be less willing to pony up #1 or #2 money for him. But of course Boras will hold out as long as possible.

I can't imagine what kind of Leverage Scherzer would have if he were to go back into the draft. Starting with this years draft, teams only have until 8/15 to sign their guys. After that, it's back into the draft. and obviously Scherzer is not going to give up two years of development, or want to spend that much time risking injury in the indy leagues.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Although the examples of getting Drew and Upton signed after lengthy delays have been held up as giving hope to getting Scherzer signed....for some reason I have been skeptical of him actually getting signed for a while now.

IMO, this is because I think the D backs view him as a risk due to his sore shoulder that he had, and would be less willing to pony up #1 or #2 money for him. But of course Boras will hold out as long as possible.

I can't imagine what kind of Leverage Scherzer would have if he were to go back into the draft. Starting with this years draft, teams only have until 8/15 to sign their guys. After that, it's back into the draft. and obviously Scherzer is not going to give up two years of development, or want to spend that much time risking injury in the indy leagues.

I think the D backs who have had trouble the last two years signing their picks are really going to have to go another direction in futeure drafts because of the new signing rule which has a cut off date of mid August. So they might start looking at players who don't have agents like Boras. As for Scherzer, up until recently there hadn't been news of contract negotiations and I feel the D backs won't give into Boras this time and take a supplemental pick as compensation. Remember 11 other teams passed on Scherzer so its hard for Boras to say he was the best pitcher available in the draft, we probably should've went for Kasey Kiker instead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard