Non-homer question on the Floyd PI call

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shouldnt he be able to make a play for the ball? Especially when the DB isnt looking for the ball which causes Floyd to have to go thru him to get to it?

Im trying to remain objective here. That seems like a TD to me. Do I not understand the rule?

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The defender looked back to place the ball and slowed down in doing so. Floyd knew where the ball was and had to get there, the defender got in the way, so it can be called either way but we didn't get the call.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Floyd shoved him clear as day OPI

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
:thumbup:

Anyone questioning the call is just plain :doi:

Hands into back to make way for ball when defender isnt looking for it yet obstructing path is not the same thing as a push. I could be completely wrong, but damn, you guys are brutal. Opinions are opinions. Stop stating yours as facts.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hands into back to make way for ball when defender isnt looking for it yet obstructing path is not the same thing as a push. I could be completely wrong, but damn, you guys are brutal. Opinions are opinions. Stop stating yours as facts.

That was factually OPI :p

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That was factually OPI :p

But only when it comes from your mouth, yeah? Im trying to have a discussion. Obviously theres wiggle room in the interpretation, and I was curious if there was something particular in the specifics of my original post that could be explained. But then of course, its more fun to be a Richard in these parts.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But only when it comes from your mouth, yeah? Im trying to have a discussion. Obviously theres wiggle room in the interpretation, and I was curious if there was something particular in the specifics of my original post that could be explained. But then of course, its more fun to be a Richard in these parts.

Ok what don't you understand about Floyd clearly shoving him?

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Floyd doesn't take two hands and push the guy out of his way, it isn't called - Floyd could have run over him instead to get the ball and it probably would have been clean - it was the push that got the call.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
What in my OP dont you see?

Screw it. Its irrelevant at this point. Much like most discussion on this board.

I'm not trying to be a dick, cause I really can't comprehend what you're asking if you indeed watched that play. Floyd clearly manhandled Brown with both hands to catch the ball...an obvious OPI IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The issue with the play is that Floyd didn't need to push the player in front of him in the back to get to the ball, he just made a lazy play. Floyd used two hands to push the defensive player and then went behind in the space created by the push to catch the ball. That is illegal. If he just tries to adjust to the ball without using his hands and the defender isn't locating the ball by turning his head, then it would have been a PI on the defense.

Clearly an offensive PI though.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Screw it. Its irrelevant at this point. Much like most discussion on this board.

So in your opinion Flod didn't shove him? :shrug:

Reaction score
So in your opinion Flod didn't shove him? :shrug:

Nope. It looked to me like the defender held up & blocked Floyd interfering with the catch. Anyone got video of it? I thought the same thing in real time but once they showed the replay it was obvious (to me anyways) that it was defensive interference.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Floyd should have just put his hands up in anticipation of the ball and let the defender impeed his progress. He shoulda just fell over the guy instead of clearing him physically. We got the flag on the road.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nope. It looked to me like the defender held up & blocked Floyd interfering with the catch. Anyone got video of it? I thought the same thing in real time but once they showed the replay it was obvious (to me anyways) that it was defensive interference.

Which would have been called if Floyd did not then use two hands and push the defender to clear inside position to the ball.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
At game speed it sure looked like offensive pass interference and if I was a ref I would have thrown the flag. In slow speed it looked like the defender clearly slowed down and got in the way and I really did even notice much of a push from Floyd and off of that would not have called it. The game is at game speed of course and have then no problem with the call

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I saw the same thing. Should have been DPI, if they were going to call it at all.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Hands up and it's a no call or DPI. Hands on the DB and he's rightfully flagged.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, that's pretty effing blatant OPI. Two hands, waist, moves him out as he moves in, clean catch...easy flag.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I can see why OPI was called because of the position of FLoyd's hands, but I also give Brown an Academy Award nomination for the flop.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:

Anyone questioning the call is just plain :doi:

Ok what don't you understand about Floyd clearly shoving him?

People sure get uppity and rude after a loss eh?

The play I think you are talking about is the one where floyd was running, watching the ball and ran over the defender in the process. I did not see this as a blatent shove as shane pointed out, I saw it as him running, not looking at the defender and having his hands out while doing so.

IMO - if you are watching the ball and run into someone, it shouldnt be your ffault. How would floyd even know a defender was right there if he is looking the other way? If its this way CB's might as well just stop running and stand in the WR way once he turns his head.

The other one as well to roberts, the guy was holding him down so he couldnt jump.

Regardless, maybe not everyone watched as intently as you or didnt have the ability to instant replay it 5 times, dont really see that as a reason to belittle and post condensendingly toward another poster.

imo.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA