No more DirecTV superfan package and price increase

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
You can order Sunday ticket for 7 low $45 payments.

The superfan package with games in HD, the red Zone channel, short clips and multigang viewing is dead.

The good news?

All superfan features are now part of the standard Sunday ticket package and ALL of the games are in HD.

So for those of you who have been paying for superfan, Sunday ticket should cost less this year!

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I remember when I had sunday ticket in 2002/2003 and it cost me 4 payments of 49, and i got all the other channels for free for those months.

id rather just go to the games or the bar

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This sucks. It's up to 300 bucks? Ugh! I almost cancelled DirecTV, because I have it specifically for Sunday Ticket, and it's getting to the point where going to the local sports bar will soon be less expensive.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Picky...picky...picky...

The only other things I wish DirecTV would do are: (1) put up their own dedicated-feed Gulf Oil spill channel and (2) allow viewers to create their own customized group of channels (Example: NFL Network, ESPN, CNN, NG-Wild, C-Span1, C-Span2, MSNBC, Weather Channel).

For me, the HD benefit is moot. I lose out on HD because the trees on my property won't allow me to effectively install the (more sensitive) HD antenna.

Regardless - I love Sunday Ticket,. I consider it to be the singlemost important advance in NFL fan-technology (because it finally gives fans of out-of-town teams access to every game).

My problem with local sports bars is that they'd always stick the Cardinal game in a remote corner with the sound turned off.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only other things I wish DirecTV would do are: (1) put up their own dedicated-feed Gulf Oil spill channel and (2) allow viewers to create their own customized group of channels (Example: NFL Network, ESPN, CNN, NG-Wild, C-Span1, C-Span2, MSNBC, Weather Channel).

For me, the HD benefit is moot. I lose out on HD because the trees on my property won't allow me to effectively install the (more sensitive) HD antenna.

Regardless - I love Sunday Ticket,. I consider it to be the singlemost important advance in NFL fan-technology (because it finally gives fans of out-of-town teams access to every game).

My problem with local sports bars is that they'd always stick the Cardinal game in a remote corner with the sound turned off.

Solution=50' pole. :D

OP
OP
Fiasco

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
This sucks. It's up to 300 bucks? Ugh! I almost cancelled DirecTV, because I have it specifically for Sunday Ticket, and it's getting to the point where going to the local sports bar will soon be less expensive.

If you subscribed to superfan it actually is a price decrease.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

Up to $315 (+ tax = about $340)! Me too Stout, might have to pull the plug this year.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
ugh - i always haggled away the superfan price so this is definitely a big increase in cost

may have to call and haggle a bit on the base price

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When you count your costs of drinking at home vs your local bar...maybe not.

Seeing as though I'm diabetic and rarely drink any more, that isn't even an issue.

Think about it--it's roughly 300 bucks (probably more with tax). If you figure that 3-4 games will be on anyway without the Ticket every year, then you're paying 300 bucks for 12 games. That's 25 bucks a game. A GAME!!!

I can easily go to the sports bar, get the games and get a good meal for half of that. Will I have sound? Maybe yes, maybe no. I would still save a ton of money. The only saving grace is watching all of the other games.

I'll keep it for this season. If they jack the price up again, I'm out. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. Roughly 25 bucks for each game I wouldn't normally be able to watch? Silly.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Seeing as though I'm diabetic and rarely drink any more, that isn't even an issue.

Think about it--it's roughly 300 bucks (probably more with tax). If you figure that 3-4 games will be on anyway without the Ticket every year, then you're paying 300 bucks for 12 games. That's 25 bucks a game. A GAME!!!

I can easily go to the sports bar, get the games and get a good meal for half of that. Will I have sound? Maybe yes, maybe no. I would still save a ton of money. The only saving grace is watching all of the other games.

I'll keep it for this season. If they jack the price up again, I'm out. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. Roughly 25 bucks for each game I wouldn't normally be able to watch? Silly.

I feel the same way. If it weren't for being able to watch the end of several games each Sunday and the weird weather games later in the year I'd be out as well. Oh, and I do like being able to follow some of the former Longhorns.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sucks. It's up to 300 bucks? Ugh! I almost cancelled DirecTV, because I have it specifically for Sunday Ticket

I dumped DirecTV following this past football season for this very reason. I was especially bothered because so much of the cost of their football package was the direct result of their desire to have exclusivity. In effect, they are charging us extra so that others cannot watch out of market games. I refuse to pay for something that was clearly designed to bring in new customers and hold hostage existing ones.

Although they offer a much more superior football package than they did back in the 90's they are now charging roughly double what I use to pay. Since I'm primarily interested in just Cardinals games their new structure has me paying out at a pay-per-view special event price. Exclusivity adds nothing to my viewing pleasure, why should I have to foot the bill for it?

Steve

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you count your costs of drinking at home vs your local bar...maybe not.
Actually, the cost of drinks at the sports bar is the ONLY expense.

So, if the Ticket costs $300 AND you drink at home--it actually skews it the other way.

Plus, the Cards are on TV a few times a year now for us out of towners. IMO, it's not worth having not only the ticket, but the expensive DTV service (I have Dish now, and it's half as expensive).

JMHO

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, the cost of drinks at the sports bar is the ONLY expense.

So, if the Ticket costs $300 AND you drink at home--it actually skews it the other way.

Plus, the Cards are on TV a few times a year now for us out of towners. IMO, it's not worth having not only the ticket, but the expensive DTV service (I have Dish now, and it's half as expensive).

JMHO
Living Chicago, it is worth it for me. Otherwise, I would be (not) watching NFC Central games instead of watching the Cards.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If you subscribed to superfan it actually is a price decrease.

I was about to say.

If you wanted to watch the games in HD it was $400.00 last year, so this is a decrease for me, and a welcomed one at that.

I wasn't going to get it this year, until I heard the news.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a letter too..said my price was dropping a whopping $10 now that superfan is included. big deal. $25 a week does seem like alot when you look at it that way, but all we ever get in Albq is 'pukes and donkeys.

I will say this though...I do use it and watch alot of games, Tivo is great also

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll be happy when the idiots roll out the new DTV Tivo box they have been promising for the last 2 years.

Their HD DVR receivers are still ass-tastic.

Trey

Registered
Reaction score
Birth to 32, Phoenix. Now, enemy territory.
I remember when I had sunday ticket in 2002/2003 and it cost me 4 payments of 49, and i got all the other channels for free for those months.

id rather just go to the games or the bar

I remember back in the late 90's when the package was only $99 TOTAL.

I just couldn't keep up with the price increases any more and finally dropped DTV for Comcast. Comcast offers the NFL Redzone channel as part of their sports package ($4.99/month), and while it's not Sunday Ticket, it's more than sufficient for me. They even go split-screen when multiple games are in the red zone, so I don't feel like I miss too much.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish you could buy individual games just like a pay-per-view event.

When I had the ticket, I felt guilty going out to the sportsbar occasionally with my buddies.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pretty frustrating news. This is the first year I was going to try to get Superfan for free. Looks like I should have gone for it last year. Once again, Direct TV has the last laugh.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
You can still get a $120 off. I called and asked to cut back my regular package(because of the high Sunday ticket price) and only receive the sports subscriptions i order, which are Sunday Ticket and the Baseball package, and they gave me $20 off for 6 months.

Also, i guess they are finally admitting that the Superfan was a total ripoff. I argued with them that why do i have to pay extra for HD when the games are already broadcast in HD for free?

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This is awesome news and I and I am happy about this and actually knew a couple days ago when I called in. I actually signed up for the "early bird special" so it was 6 payments of $49 instead of 7 at $45 which is another 20 bucks cheaper.

When you factor in I live in Florida, play Fantasy Football and love the NFL so I get to watch multiple games and teams (Hence why my inseason NFL analysis is so on point :D ) every sunday, invite friends over to watch their teams if they are displaced like me, get to enjoy mass drinks (and other intoxicants ;) ) and eat steak like a king on football Sundays....... ya well this is a no brainer for me, although I can empathize with those of you who feel its too much cost.

The only thing they are making you pay extra for now is the online and phone access, and I got that waived. This is probably the best part to me. If I am for some reason not going to make it back by the start of the game or am travelling...... I WATCH ANY NFL GAME I WANT ON MY BLACKBERRY. Sooooooo sick, I can't tell you. The online access is cool too, as you can watch multiple games at once at home.

What can I say? I am an NFL junkie :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember back in the late 90's when the package was only $99 TOTAL.

Any chance you're confusing the price? I bought into DTV very early (95 or 96) and I've had the football package all along and the lowest price I ever paid was something like 149 or 159. At that time, College Football was 89 dollars, College Basketball was 69 dollars and the NBA and MLB were 119 or 129 dollars IIRC.

Steve