Nitpicking Nick Bosa

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Every fan, tv personality, radio host, draft analyst has a strong opinion of Kyler Murray. Some absolutely love him, some hate him more than any pro prospect ever. It’s actually kind of disturbing reading the negative comments and word choices used. What I find interesting is this almost blind faith that fans have about Nick Bosa being the best player in the draft. TV and Radio people just say Bosa is #1 so I guess he just is??

Here are a few concerns I have regarding Bosa:

1. 7.5 sacks-That is his career high for a season (2017)

2. 1 game his entire career with 2 or more sacks (2018-2 sacks vs Oregon State)

3. Multiple games in 2016 and 2017 with no sacks and very little production period with tackles for loss, forced funbles, etc..

4. Pedestrian 40 time and more important vertical jump is average.

5. Maxed out body type. He looks as swollen up as possible.

6. OSU Pro Day- Did nothing. If Murray get’s slammed for non participation, so should Bosa.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
People saying that Bosa has been the consensus #1 player since last season didn’t really pay attention

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fair enough. He hasn't played football since the first couple weeks of last season. He definitely benefits from his family reputation, but there isn't much doubt about his general talent.
It's one of the reasons I'd be okay with a trade down. There are five or six defensive beasts at the top of this draft who will all dominate.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Those are legit concerns but in his defense:
This was going to be his big sack year. When you look at all the DL talent that OSU has put on the field, the number of plays/playing time was hard fought. They had Joey Bosa, Tyquan Lewis, Jaylon Holmes, etc. all guys drafted into the NFL.

With his 40 time, look at the 10 yard split. It was among the fastest. Also look at his agility drill times. They were WR like.

I don't know why he didn't work out but he did at the combine. Murray did neither.

You're right, he's not going be a 300 pounder and he may be maxed out but he'll get stronger and keep his quickness.

BirdDroppings

Rookie
Reaction score
Every fan, tv personality, radio host, draft analyst has a strong opinion of Kyler Murray. Some absolutely love him, some hate him more than any pro prospect ever. It’s actually kind of disturbing reading the negative comments and word choices used. What I find interesting is this almost blind faith that fans have about Nick Bosa being the best player in the draft. TV and Radio people just say Bosa is #1 so I guess he just is??

3. Multiple games in 2016 and 2017 with no sacks and very little production period with tackles for loss, forced funbles, etc..

6. OSU Pro Day- Did nothing. If Murray get’s slammed for non participation, so should Bosa.

He did stuff at the combine. Pro day and combine are largely redundant but there's a big difference between not doing stuff at either and only participating at one. Also, Bosa technically left OSU back in December. Was he even still allowed to use their facilities for a pro day? How does that work exactly?

The rest of the criticism is perfectly fair.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Willie McGinest on NFL network last night said he wouldn’t even take Bosa in the top 5… He said he looks a lot deeper into prospects and just doesn’t see him as a number one pick material...

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I'm still in the Quinnen Williams corner.

Williams is my hope if we aren't picking KM. He is my solid #1. If we don't take him we are playing right into Niners' hands. They want him badly after signing D Ford. If we take take Williams, the draft would go on tilt with all mocks being shredded.

My opinion is that Bosa, Allen, Sweet, Gary, Ferrell, Burns, and Ximines any of which might give teams the edge rusher they are needing. But Williams is that 1 in every draft that is a true monster in the middle.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

Bosa did drills at the combine in front of everyone.A fitness freak and lifter.So you don't have to worry about his work ethic or getting ****** lazy.Every scouting reports touts his technique,strength and good athletic ability for a guy his size.Since he has been in a rotation for his first 2 years he has done well.Good enough to be DPOY in his conference IIRC as a Soph.So while he has some concerns as do all the prospects his chances of success are higher IMHO than many others.If you check his performance versus ranked teams you will see he has played 10 ranked teams in his career and has 7.5 sacks and that was being part of a rotation.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
People saying that Bosa has been the consensus #1 player since last season didn’t really pay attention

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Look at the date on that.LMAO .Herbert isn't even in the draft.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If people got on Peterson for playing “soft”, wait until they watch Greedy Williams play, lol.
I'm okay with that. The kid can ball and if we had high end talent next to pp21 with swearinger and budda behind them, I mean...poo.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Bosa’s technique is way ahead of the other edge rushers. He does things others don’t. Numbers are a good yardstick, but some of the best rushers didn’t post awesome numbers. It’s hard to imagine a Bosa won’t succeed.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Good post.

He has a horrible time with talented long-armed tackles. they seem to minimize his transcendent technique at his age. Maybe he overcomes that, but it does worry me now that the competition is going to improve week in and week out in the NFL.

My biggest issue is his vertical when you combine it with his 10yd splits. It just screams "Lack of Burst" to me. This drops him heavily in my eyes and makes his ceiling much lower than the elite rushers of this era.

He is just like his brother, which will make him a top pick but keep him below the Vonn Miller/Myles Garret/Clowney level freaks of this era.

With a floor so high but a ceiling that is not nearly as high as Quinnen or Allen, I would be somewhat underwhelmed if we spend a #1 overall pick on the safest bet of the draft. I want to shoot for the moon if I have #1.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

He has short arms too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Good post.

He has a horrible time with talented long-armed tackles. they seem to minimize his transcendent technique at his age. Maybe he overcomes that, but it does worry me now that the competition is going to improve week in and week out in the NFL.

My biggest issue is his vertical when you combine it with his 10yd splits. It just screams "Lack of Burst" to me. This drops him heavily in my eyes and makes his ceiling much lower than the elite rushers of this era.

His is just like his brother, which will make him a top pick but keep him below the Vonn Miller/Myles Garret/Clowney level freaks of this era.

With a floor so high but a ceiling that is not nearly as high as Quinnen or Allen, I would be somewhat underwhelmed if we spend a #1 overall pick on the safest bet of the draft. I want to shoot for the moon if I have #1.

Bosa only rarely shows burst, but to be fair, neither does Chandler Jones.

Bosa has had two major injuries in a very short time. That concerns me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think Byron Murphy is better personally.

As do pretty much every scout I've read. Murphy is better at the little things, while Greedy gets toasted and makes the occasional flashy play.

Greedy basically went from a preseason top 5 pick to a guy who might get picked in the 20s. Murphy was getting top love until he ran a 4.55. Murphy is still going to play 10 years in the NFL. Washington is turning into DBU.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
I think Williams is the safe pick.
Who knows. Can he get in better shape so that you don't have to pull him off the field so often? Will he stay in shape once he has some success? Those are questions you have to ask for any 1st round DT, let alone a potential 1st overall DT. Can he destroy an offensive gameplan? Because that's what you need from any 1st overall pick on defense.

Bosa has other question marks. His ceiling seems capped, but looks like he will still be a good pro. Imo a safer bet than Quinnen. If we go defense with the 1st overall pick, I tend towards Bosa. Outstanding technician who will earn his sacks, especially if he starts his career across from an All-Pro like Chandler Jones and learning from a future HoFer in Suggs. Being close to his brother who knows a thing or two about pass rushing won't hurt either. Will Nick Bosa be an All-Pro though? Will he affect the offensive gameplan? That's what you shoot for with the 1st overall pick.

Being safe with your 1st overall pick is one thing, but the capped upside should make us explore other options closely. Remember how many "safe" 1st round picks in recent years have underachieved or busted. In this case, you not just missed on a high ceiling player, but also on the expected "safe floor". It's really tough to find the right balance. If we are 100% sure about Bosa or Quinnen, we should go ahead and select one of them. However, will they ever be game changers? Kyler Murray is without a doubt a riskier prospect than Bosa, although the risk gets way overblown imo because of one or two inches. You can't teach accuracy Keim says. Athleticism obviously as well. We don't need to discuss who of all these top prospects has the highest ceiling and which position is the most important on the field. That's my point. If we evaluate that Bosa (or Quinnen) is a slam dunk with a high floor and great upside that can be achieved realistically, just go for it. However, if there are questions about them fulfilling their potential, you know who the pick should be...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson