NFL Player you Remember 1st Admiring as a Kid

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Saw my first NFL games on AFN in 1991, when my parents bought a Multinorm TV which made it possible for me as a German teenager growing up close to some US bases to receive the AFN signal in color and with sound (remember, back then there were many different TV norms around: NTSC in the US, PAL in Germany, Secam in France...).

Remember clearly a Vikings-Lions match in autumn of 91 with a great performance by Chris Carter and an even better game by Barry Sanders who I loved. In the same year, watched lots of Suns games on AFN and became a Suns/KJ fan.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Did anyone mention Fran Tarkington? He was a blast to watch. I vividly remember the Rams fearsome foursome getting exhausted chasing him all around the backfield play after play.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Did anyone mention Fran Tarkington? He was a blast to watch. I vividly remember the Rams fearsome foursome getting exhausted chasing him all around the backfield play after play.
There was a club in downtown Minneapolis that would have films of Tarkenton on the walls. It was incredible the Houdini acts he could pull off. He was a much less talented Kyler before Kyler.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Fran was a scramblin’ fool.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron Jaworski. Then Jim McMahon and the Fridge because of the Super Bowl Shuffle song. (Cut me some slack. I was 12.)

Cardinals? Larry Centers. Rob Moore. Frank Sanders.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I became a Cardinal fan while they were still in Chicago. The one early Cardinal of which I was a fan was John David Crow. His early years were really something.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I first watched football in 1989. The 2 players that impressed me were warren moon and joe Montana. Shortly after for me it was emmitt smith. He is remarkable when you think about how durable and productive that he was for so many years. Cowboys were not the same when he missed a game and he was a hell of a blocker and pass catcher as well, something that he didn’t always get credit for.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I loved watching his football life episode. It’s my favorite one that I’ve seen. It’s incredible that he won the heisman at navy and missed years in his prime to serve his country. For me he’s the GOAT.
And Dallas had the foresight to draft him.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
And Dallas had the foresight to draft him.
another good point. I never knew that Tom Landry rotated both he and Craig Morton (early on in roger’s career) in games until I watched some of the documentaries that have recently come out on NFLN.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You are right. Crows are really smart. I have a murder of crows that I feed regularly and they let me know when they are hungry. I feed them and then tell them not to poop on my car if they want me to keep feeding them. Only minimal damage to the car since then.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I became a Cardinal fan while they were still in Chicago. The one early Cardinal of which I was a fan was John David Crow. His early years were really something.

When I was in high school they didn't have enough funding for practice jerseys. We had to buy our own. On mine I wrote Crow 44 with a magic marker.

Johnny U was the name everyone knew.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I met him in my Frat brotherś office once. His office had a view of all of L.A. My frat bro was Ed Masry, the atty that movie Erin Brockovitch was on about.
Sissy, what frat are you in if I can ask? I'm Greek affiliated myself, and had great relationships with other org's at my school.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr